Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm test driving an Abarth spider 124 this week. Does anyone have any tips for questions to ask or things to try on the test? I haven't owned a roadster before so any tips would be appreciated.

·
Registered
207 Posts
One "must-try" is the sport mode button. It is one of the things that sold me on the Abarth.
The switch is on the trim at the bottom of the shifter and you have to hold it on for a second or two to engage. You will see an indicator in the instrument panel when it is engaged. Have fun!

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Enjoy. And don't forget to put it in Sport. It makes a difference.

·
Administrator
1,925 Posts
Make sure they take the "shipping air" out of your tires. Mine and many other cars were inflated to 55psi, but not reduced at the dealership as called for.
You wanna feel a rough ride?, leave it in....
Ha, can't imagine you'd have much traction at 55psi either!

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you decide to buy, I'd closely inspect for dents or scratches from shipping the car or removing plastic wrapping before signing. Seen some perfect, seen a couple with a dent or a fine scratch in the clear coat.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Enjoy. And don't forget to put it in Sport. It makes a difference.
Best way to tell, I think is to start with sport mode off, get into 2nd or 3rd gear, hold the gas pedal steady, then hold the sport mode button on. You won't need the light to tell you when it kicks in!

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I had tested the Lusso, was great but exhaust was silence. Then I went with the Abarth, I felt the difference. sport and non sports mode, I liked the sound of the exhaust. even to the point I stepped out and asked my friend to drive it so I can hear it from outside. Drive your way, drive it as if you stole it and well you decide how it feels.

If the sales person is beside you, criticize the car handling, Let him know you're buying with doubts, that way he will bend on the price and accessories to make the sale. LOL good luck and welcome to the board.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Ha, can't imagine you'd have much traction at 55psi either!
You'd be amazed how many cars never get adjusted. My 124 was good - the dealer had filled the tires with nitrogen which was a nice touch - but my 'sensible car' Kia SUV was all up in 50's when I picked it up.

I also drive a lot of rental cars and they almost universally have way over-inflated tires that were presumably never adjusted when the car was delivered off the trailer.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts