Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This guy gets what its all about. Here is a nice right hand drive version Abarth with record monza. Even though its an Automatic he gets the tires to spin nicely by doing a brake start (i wouldnt do that by the way, you trash your torque converter doing it its not worth it)

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
I think he has the traction control off, Cause the other day, I wanted to try an agressive start, I was revving around 4k rpm when I released the clutch, the tires spinned while back tires were bouncing.. I should have gave less RPM and slowly.

·
Registered
575 Posts
How does it trash the torque converter??

But wheel hop seems to be a common things in cars that have independent rear suspension, you really have to slip into the burnout or just have some real wet roads and tires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How does it trash the torque converter??

But wheel hop seems to be a common things in cars that have independent rear suspension, you really have to slip into the burnout or just have some real wet roads and tires.
Massive amounts of heat

·
Registered
16 Posts
Massive amounts of heat
Yes, but it seems that doing it for a short period is OK. According to this article and the embedded video, auto cars do not need the same high RPM rev to get the same acceleration. As he mentions at the end of the video, it is not so much the torque converter but other parts of the transmission that get stressed. Just like in MT cars.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/motorsports/videos/a29464/how-launch-automatic-transmission-torque-converter/

·
Registered
575 Posts
I can't see that unless you're pre-loading the car and holding it for a long time, then yes the trans temps will raise up high enough and you'll maybe blow a line or something, but that's about it.

I would be more worried about damaging the transmission and diff if he were to have brought the car up to redline and just neutral dropped it or popped the clutch lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts