Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
That was about the closest thing to perfect product promotion that a car maker could hope for.

And now I want one.

Gawd, imagine living next door to that guy, never a dull moment!

Great find, thanks for posting it.

Steve.

·
Banned
425 Posts
Lots and lots of fun! Thank you. Should be renamed "This is why we drive"
What it did point out again though, there is only so much power you can use on public roads, and it seems he was using the best public roads he could find. I don't think he ever got past third gear. My point is, Alfa is a lot more powerful than ours. But I took the Abarth down to S.Ohio. Friday which was our first sunny, warm-ish day, and took the following route which I would recommend to anyone. Starting from Rt.7, about 30 miles south of I-70 intersection take OH 556 west to Bealesville. Take OH 145 S. to OH 26 S to Woodsfield. Take OH78 E. to OH 536 S back to OH 7. Turn around and do it in reverse. Other than OH 78, the least fun part, I pushed it as hard as I could including a couple of slides with ASC off, and did it all in 2nd and 3rd gear. The curves come up simply too quickly to get above 65mph and still make the next one. As it was, I scared the heck out of the wife. (great fun) Lets just say if the Abarth wasn't broken in before, it is now. This is my dream kind of driving and whenever I get on a straight around here and wonder if maybe the 124 and I could use a little more power, I am reminded about how much fun this car is on roads like these and what the heck would I do with more?
One more comment. I was surprised how nice the car is just cruising at 70 MPH down OH 7 with the top down. I expected to be bored during that part, but it was nice. It is really a great car to work so well in so many different environments.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Thanks for the ride report. Now I'm starting to itch more.

Where is my car?!!

I need to get a motorcycle out of the garage. Just a bit more rain to clean away the salt...

Steve.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Starting from Rt.7, about 30 miles south of I-70 intersection take OH 556 west to Bealesville. Take OH 145 S. to OH 26 S to Woodsfield. Take OH78 E. to OH 536 S back to OH 7. Turn around and do it in reverse. Other than OH 78, the least fun part, I pushed it as hard as I could including a couple of slides with ASC off, and did it all in 2nd and 3rd gear. The curves come up simply too quickly to get above 65mph and still make the next one.
I'm envious that this area is immediately accessible to you. Driving in and around Pittsburgh/SW PA/SE OH is just top notch. Only demerits are sometimes the road conditions.

Going for a drive in most of the areas I've lived is more aptly called taking a cruise.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have to say, the Giulia Ti is pretty fast as well. I cant imagine how hard the Quad pulls, seems pretty amazing from the vids ive seen. My Spider with phase 1 has been generating smiles as well, today is warm here so I did some top down foot down action and hit 80 way too soon on some back roads where i live. I am psyched for the spring and summer just round the corner. Raise a glass to the engineers at Fiat/AlfaRomeo, keep up the good work.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I really like the Giulia. I'm going to have a hard look at it when I replace my A4 (for a Ti). There's no Alfa dealer in my closest urban centre though. Maybe that'll change by the time I get to replacing the Audi.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Great review! Best line, "I wonder what my house is worth?" :) He kept talking about the sound! That is such a huge component of making a car fun. The best mod anyone can do is trash that Prius sounding muffler on the Spider. Just the muffler delete was enough for me. I think I'll keep the resonator in there... maybe. No Spider should be sold with that stock muffler. It has to be costing them sales. They should change the name of the company from FCA to WTF.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great review! Best line, "I wonder what my house is worth?" :) He kept talking about the sound! That is such a huge component of making a car fun. The best mod anyone can do is trash that Prius sounding muffler on the Spider. Just the muffler delete was enough for me. I think I'll keep the resonator in there... maybe. No Spider should be sold with that stock muffler. It has to be costing them sales. They should change the name of the company from FCA to WTF.
So many good lines "hello, I'm a saloon car.......and I'm going to murder you!" and "Lets burn a dinosaur" had me laughing out loud.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I'm envious that this area is immediately accessible to you. Driving in and around Pittsburgh/SW PA/SE OH is just top notch. Only demerits are sometimes the road conditions.

Going for a drive in most of the areas I've lived is more aptly called taking a cruise.
Except for the two cave-ins under repair on OH 536 and some winter stones that hadn't been washed away, the conditions were good to excellent. Any road with a big sign on the entrance reminding truckers that it is impossible to get a tractor trailer down the road, reads like a welcome sign for the Spider.

·
Registered
72 Posts
It is a great review indeed! I test drove the Giulia Veloce, and boy did it impress. It has way too much power for public roads, so I cannot imagine what the QV would be like.

The whole package of the Giulia is well thought of, and well designed. Everything about it screams proper Euro like it should.

If the wallet had allowed for it, I would take both the Giulia and the 124. But before I have kids, I reckon a convertible that makes me smile is a must. So no Giulia, and the wait for the 124 continues

1 - 11 of 11 Posts