Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went to the store today, came out with the groceries to find my backup camera dangling. And looking at it, it is obvious that it had gotten broken at some point, as one of the tabs to hold it on is missing, and there is crudely applied double-stick tape around the opening that was obviously holding it in place. Why does this chap me - I bought the car with 24 miles on it! Technically used, from a Chrysler dealer who bought a big lot of dead dealer cars from Fiat. So somewhere along the line in those 24 miles and 18 months, the camera got broken off and stuck back on with tape! And from the online Fiat parts places, the camera is over $350!!

If I unplug it and just buy the $6 plug for the hole that 2017s without a camera have, will the car whine about it being missing? I really don't need it in tiny convertible anyway, and no state inspection in FL. Though not fixing it right is really not me! For the moment, I plan to remount it with the really good 3M heavy duty tape, but it is going to bug me like a splinter in a finger...It had stayed on there for more than a year, I suppose.

Word of caution - I can't imagine why you would need to remove it, but those tabs that hold the thing to the trunklid look REALLY fragile - they are only held to the bottom of the camera body in a couple little places in the corner. Probably is really easy to snap the thing off while waxing the car or something, the way the camera sticks down and out.

I guess I could try swinging by the Fiat dealer and see if they will cover this under warranty, but I am not holding my breath on that one.

-Kevin

·
Registered
217 Posts
Yes the tabs are fragile. I've had my backup camera pop off when washing the car. If it still works, use 3m automotive tape or glue or bubble gum or whatever. No one (including you) will be able to tell its been repaired. Don't sweat the small sh!t. Life is too short.

·
Registered
749 Posts
That sucks.

When I started looking at Spiders a year and a half ago, I was looking at used Abarths. I was looking at paying $25,000 for a used 2017 with about 15,000 miles. But after seeing a couple, one with an accident on the front, and another with an unusually worn out interior, I figured I might as well look at new.

New inventory was plentiful back then and I could get a well-equipped Abarth for $30,000, after factory rebates and dealer discounts. A $5,000 difference made it a no-brainer for me. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Last time I checked a week ago or so, there were only 40 new Abarths left in the entire US.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did end up repairing it. Looking at the camera, there is a nice, thick, flat flange all the way around it. And the actual hole in the trunk lid is much smaller. So a baggy of 1/2" stainless steel screws from Lowe's and four holes drilled later, it is better than stock. How Mazda should have built it in the first place.

I drilled the four holes with the camera off the car, cleaned up the old double-stick tape, then made a gasket out of new Gorilla 30lb strength double-stick tape, trimming around the camera flange. I cleaned everything well with isopropyl alcohol and stuck the camera to the trunklid. Then drilled the holes through the body and screwed in the screws. It will NEVER come off of there again! I had to do it in-between FL thunderstorms today, when I next have a dry day I will touch up the shiny screw heads with some black model enamel and it will look like it came from the factory.

Those snap tabs are really ridiculously fragile - and then combined with how stupid expensive this little camera is it made for a distinct increase in blood pressure to find it dangling on my 1yo car. But a cheap and easy fix!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That sucks.

When I started looking at Spiders a year and a half ago, I was looking at used Abarths. I was looking at paying $25,000 for a used 2017 with about 15,000 miles. But after seeing a couple, one with an accident on the front, and another with an unusually worn out interior, I figured I might as well look at new.

New inventory was plentiful back then and I could get a well-equipped Abarth for $30,000, after factory rebates and dealer discounts. A $5,000 difference made it a no-brainer for me. Glad I pulled the trigger when I did. Last time I checked a week ago or so, there were only 40 new Abarths left in the entire US.
Definitely buying new was a no-brainer vs. actually used ones last year. As I said, my car was a weird deal. It was sold as "used" because the selling dealer did not have a Fiat franchise, so they can't sell new Fiats, but they bought about 30 new Fiats and Alfas from FCA. I am the first titled owner, and it was effectively a new car having 24 miles on it. Most of the "sold as new" cars in my area had more than that from test drives!. I got the best part of $9000 off MSRP on it, in exchange for losing a month of warranty and having to pay the extortionate price for a second key (don't lose a key, you will cry). It just irritates me that somewhere along the line, the camera got snapped off, and instead of fixing it properly it just go stuck back on with tape. Cheesy. Just from the general feel of the Chrysler dealer I bought it from, my bet is they did it washing the car or something.

One thing I am quickly finding about this little Fiat/Mazda hybrid is that parts are REALLY expensive! And this is from a guy who has owned every European brand car under the sun and is used to European car parts prices. But I love it anyway. :love:

·
Registered
217 Posts
That is a great permanent fix. I'm going to have to copy that. Thank you for posting how you remedied this!

As for parts prices, keep in mind the Fiat 124 Spider is 60% Mazda Miata. Take a look here for a complete list of interchangeable parts. I was looking for coilovers and the Fiat specific choices were limited and expensive. But guess what, The suspensions on both cars are almost completely interchangeable. Funny thing is many companies don't recognize the interchangability. If you search Amazon or Ebay for MX-5 suspension parts then put in Fiat 124 it says it doesn't fit. Yes it does!

And I too love my little Japatalian/Italianese car and the smiles per gallon it delivers!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I did end up repairing it. Looking at the camera, there is a nice, thick, flat flange all the way around it. And the actual hole in the trunk lid is much smaller. So a baggy of 1/2" stainless steel screws from Lowe's and four holes drilled later, it is better than stock. How Mazda should have built it in the first place.

I drilled the four holes with the camera off the car, cleaned up the old double-stick tape, then made a gasket out of new Gorilla 30lb strength double-stick tape, trimming around the camera flange. I cleaned everything well with isopropyl alcohol and stuck the camera to the trunklid. Then drilled the holes through the body and screwed in the screws. It will NEVER come off of there again! I had to do it in-between FL thunderstorms today, when I next have a dry day I will touch up the shiny screw heads with some black model enamel and it will look like it came from the factory.

Those snap tabs are really ridiculously fragile - and then combined with how stupid expensive this little camera is it made for a distinct increase in blood pressure to find it dangling on my 1yo car. But a cheap and easy fix!

View attachment 76559
Very nicely done.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts