Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I've been a lurker for the past few weeks as I've been eyeing a trade-in to get an Abarth. Wanted to get some opinions as I'm itching for one of these cars, but don't want to pull the trigger unless it's a decent deal.

Done quite a bit of research and have been negotiating with a dealer on a 2017 black Abarth with only 12.5k miles on it. Automatic.

He's come down from $22k to $19,695 for me and an acceptable offer on my trade-in. Financing is pretty agreeable, got approved for 2.9%.

The car is in amazing shape inside & out, only 1 owner and a clean history. The dealership is about 50 miles away from me (I'm in the USA for reference) so I haven't been able to see it in person, but I've gotten a lot of pictures and a video from them.

What's the general consensus - should I drive out there and pull the trigger if everything is as says?

·
Registered
623 Posts
I've been lurking for over 50 years (but that's another story !). Can't say re price from the UK, but one owner cars are often great value for money v new retail pricing. Not sure in the US (because of data protection laws ?) but here in the UK we used to be able to obtain the previous owners details to check for history etc. Worth a shot.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
What would be a decent deal?

You'll have loads of people saying you can get better. However, not on that car. If it's a car you want, it's affordable (only you can say) then go get it. Going to the internet for financial advice is a real crap shoot, unless you give up all your personal financial situations.

It's only an hour away: go out, drive it, see if you like it. If you do, buy it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've been lurking for over 50 years (but that's another story !). Can't say re price from the UK, but one owner cars are often great value for money v new retail pricing. Not sure in the US (because of data protection laws ?) but here in the UK we used to be able to obtain the previous owners details to check for history etc. Worth a shot.
Thanks - I've never heard of being able to find previous owner info in the US before! Surprised with GDPR that the UK had looser regulations on that.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
What would be a decent deal?

You'll have loads of people saying you can get better. However, not on that car. If it's a car you want, it's affordable (only you can say) then go get it. Going to the internet for financial advice is a real crap shoot, unless you give up all your personal financial situations.

It's only an hour away: go out, drive it, see if you like it. If you do, buy it.
Thanks - I'm not looking for financial advice at all, just if the car is objectively a good value. I can certainly afford it, but don't "need it" so I want to make sure I'm not spending even more money than I should ;)

·
Registered
117 Posts
Thanks - I'm not looking for financial advice at all, just if the car is objectively a good value. I can certainly afford it, but don't "need it" so I want to make sure I'm not spending even more money than I should ;)
Hi There,

In my fair perception you could get it for 18k or 17.5 try that number and see how it goes.

·
Registered
3,504 Posts
Check prices of similar cars in your area. Check value of the car on kbb.com. Make a decision based on what you find. If you conclude that it’s worth less, make a counter offer.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Maybe what Arthur is referring to is something like Carfax. Most dealers will give you a vehicle history report. That’s a smart move as it will tell you if there have been any accidents. Other than that, I liked SJWhitely’s advice. It sounds like it’s in the right ball park. If you drive and like it, go for it!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I don't trust Carfax. I owned two cars that I bought new and later sold on CL with over 100K miles each. Both buyers ran the Carfax report on the car and told me they were happy there was no history of any accidents. Both cars had been hit and repaired more than once. (I had 2 new drivers in the hous e...) When I told the buyers, they were shocked that Carfax was wrong.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks all for the input- I've been shopping around a bit and I think this one is a winner.

@San Jose Steve I've read that Carfax will only show up accidents/damage if it's been reported by insurance or some kind of regulatory authority in the US. Not sure if the same in your case, but if the cars were fixed up without filing an insurance claim or a police report, etc. they may have slid under the rug!

Hopefully reporting back with a new (to me) Spider in a few days...

·
Registered
69 Posts
I would make them a pretty aggressive OTD price on it. Don’t think cars like the Spider are a hot sellers especially in today’s world. All they can do is say no.

Also I paid $22k OTD on a new and pretty loaded 2018 Abarth back in January. If you have the time, hop on the interweb and email dealers some low ball numbers/offer. I betcha one will bite! I would also sell your car yourself.

·
Registered
2,394 Posts
I think for a 2017 it is over priced, you may be in LOVE with that car, but remember I think for that money you could get a 2018 with a Abarth steering wheel badge, Shop around today with Covid 19, you're king, cause they're not selling. Go with a 2018 Abarth and I am sure you could get more accessories. That 2017 is already yours, but you could get better and cheaper. Good luck

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Got to factor in what the OP's being offered n his trade too though. "Cost to change" is the key factor here. Push hard on the new car price, the trade value may slide.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
thanks @spk3589 and @frankmar . Both points are why I posted this.

@68wooley is correct, I do have a trade-in that's being factored in. I'd look at trying to sell myself, but same as the dealers right now, market is not great to find buyers.

My real problem is that there are barely any of these cars in my area. There's only one dealership near me that has Fiat in the name, and they have 1 on the lot. The used market around me has prices way more than the one I'm looking at. Barely any 2018's around.

·
Registered
132 Posts
My real problem is that there are barely any of these cars in my area. There's only one dealership near me that has Fiat in the name, and they have 1 on the lot. The used market around me has prices way more than the one I'm looking at. Barely any 2018's around.
I found the one I wanted in California....had it shipped to Eastern TN....Worth it.

·
Registered
132 Posts
How much was the shipping? Also have a trade-in so not sure I'd be able to work that out in a lot of cases.
Shipping was $850...But glad I paid it. Just plan it in the car budget.
Your wanting to trade in does make things more difficult though, that I understand.

·
Premium Member
1,422 Posts
I don't think he was giving you financial advice. He merely said that only YOU can assess if you deem it a good value, and if you like it, buy it. Everyone's perception of value is different, based on our incomes, lifestyles, and appreciation of features we find attractive in what we're looking at. If you're wondering if the price offered is good, bad or ugly, just check for similar cars in your region using Autotrader or any other used car site. That will give you an indication of average pricing. Because there are several trim levels for options, even with the Abarth version, it's best you run a build sheet using the VIN of the vehicle so you have that for reference. And I agree that since the dealer is so close to you, it's worth a short drive to check it out in person. Eyeballing it in person will always be far better than photos or videos as you'll pick up on the small things. But most importantly, see how it fits you. Do you find it comfortable or not. But I'll give you this warning right up front.... do not take it for a test drive unless you want to buy it, because once you've been behind the wheel, you're not going to be able to say no and walk away from it. :)

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I don't think he was giving you financial advice. He merely said that only YOU can assess if you deem it a good value, and if you like it, buy it. ... But I'll give you this warning right up front.... do not take it for a test drive unless you want to buy it, because once you've been behind the wheel, you're not going to be able to say no and walk away from it. :)
Hah ha! Just so!

i think these cars are pretty rare. Finding one you want is going to get harder (unless it’s just a car you are going to drive until you get bored of the new thing).

since not much has changed on these vehicles between years, the difference in price between a 2017 and a 2018, or even a 2019, is going to be quite small, all things being equal.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts