Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
163 Posts
As already said, check the various web resources on prices paid for similar cars. Have you taken position that while you like the car you really don't care if you buy the car or not? If the dealer thinks you're already an owner in your mind they won't budge. When you make a counter offer stick with the trade value they offered and only negotiate a lower price for the car. Since they already said what your trade is worth the only remaining negotiation is what you are willing to pay for their car. Keep it limited to the only that aspect and you can get a better deal. I've posted in other threads about how I got my new 18 Abarth Spider for 10k under sticker using that "You need to sell the car far more than I want to own it" mind set. Where are you located? Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
As already said, check the various web resources on prices paid for similar cars. Have you taken position that while you like the car you really don't care if you buy the car or not? If the dealer thinks you're already an owner in your mind they won't budge. When you make a counter offer stick with the trade value they offered and only negotiate a lower price for the car. Since they already said what your trade is worth the only remaining negotiation is what you are willing to pay for their car. Keep it limited to the only that aspect and you can get a better deal. I've posted in other threads about how I got my new 18 Abarth Spider for 10k under sticker using that "You need to sell the car far more than I want to own it" mind set. Where are you located? Good luck.
Thanks! I’ve stayed pretty diligent looking at options on multiple sites (autotrader car gurus, etc). I’m in Durham, North Carolina. Since I posted a 2018 just popped up for under $20k (14k miles). Got lucky and having it shipped from TN for a test drive for only $100. Holding out for that one for now and will go from there!

·
Registered
15 Posts
I was in a similar boat a couple months ago but no trade-in. Looked for a month to no avail. Plus to find prices of previously sold locally was next to impossible. The local Fiat dealer couldn't even get new ones due to the covid. I would have had to go to Vegas or Denver during this craziness, which wasn't possible. I also wanted to "see" and drive the car. Eventually a manual Abarth finally popped up. It was perfect, 9600 miles, one owner, I jumped on it. I probably paid a bit more than if I had waited but, no shipping, and I was able to feel and drive the car. Great purchase!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared some input... ended up finding a 2018 with less miles and more features (Bose/nav, homelink, park assist). Best part is it was the same price as the 2017 I was looking at! Ended up having to sell my Jeep separately since a trade in was way too undervalued, but happy with the purchase!

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My 2 cents for what it’s worth.

I had a 2017 loaded Abarth. Loved it, then totaled it. I now have a loaded 2018. It good, but just doesn’t have the same feel as the 2017. The 2017 seemed more responsive across the board.

I’m not an automatic fan, but the Abarth does come with paddle shifters. @sharkcohen would give his ( insert whatever you please) to have those paddle shifters. If an auto is your cup of tea, go drive it. If you like it, buy it. You won’t be sorry. You did negotiate a pretty good deal with the trade-in. Take advantage of it.

i hope to see more posts from you in the near future with the mods you’re putting into your new spider.

Dan

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
)
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who shared some input... ended up finding a 2018 with less miles and more features (Bose/nav, homelink, park assist). Best part is it was the same price as the 2017 I was looking at! Ended up having to sell my Jeep separately since a trade in was way too undervalued, but happy with the purchase! View attachment 76484
Good looking spider. Keep us posted on what you’re going to do with it.

Dan

21 - 30 of 30 Posts