Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
The car is rock solid. Almost all the newer cars are, so much so that Consumer Reports has drastically altered their standards for what "reliable" means. As an example, they rate the Fiat 500L very poorly in reliability, but if you look at the actual list of issues, none are really reliability issues. Cup holder won't hold a Super Big Gulp, point off! Nav system requires you to read the instructions, points off, transmission works perfectly, but shifts "abruptly" points off (I guess they want it to slip....)

The 124 will likely prove to be very reliable. I have had zero problems with these engines in three other cars.

Greg
Had 3 years with an Alfa MiTo QV (same enigine in the same 125kw/250nm tune) and the car had zero warranty issues.

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
27 Posts
32k miles on the clock....over 10k of those by me, and the only things I needed to tweak were the result of suspension and exhaust changes I made to the car....

If you aren't planning to do a lot of modification, I would get an Abarth since it is a great mixture of features and options, including the LSD and Bilsteins... If you plan on changing a lot of stuff out, you could get a non-Abarth and bring it up to snuff and then some very easily.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
CR doesn’t know shit about cars. Toaster oven, okay, sure.
best regards
Pete
I just saw that I started this thread way-back-when, so figured it’s time for an update. I still have my 124, love it, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. In terms of reliability, it beats other Europeans I’ve owned (Audi and VW). This is coming from a German native/ex-pat.

cheers, SL

·
Registered
84 Posts
I just saw that I started this thread way-back-when, so figured it’s time for an update. I still have my 124, love it, and would buy it again in a heartbeat. In terms of reliability, it beats other Europeans I’ve owned (Audi and VW). This is coming from a German native/ex-pat.

cheers, SL
So after 4 years, did you have anything go wrong with your 124? (after getting positive reviews on here we just purchased a 2020 Lusso! Great looking roadster!)

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
So after 4 years, did you have anything go wrong with your 124? (after getting positive reviews on here we just purchased a 2020 Lusso! Great looking roadster!)
Congratulations, and welcome to the family!

The only issue I had was a leaking AC compressor. Which the dealer reported when I had the car in the shop to install an aftermarket intercooler. I did not notice anything myself. IIRC this is not a Fiat-specific issue, but can occur when not running the AC for long period of time. Which in a convertible is bound to happen, at least in warmer climates (I drive almost exclusively with the top down).

Other than that, >23k miles without any issues.

Cheers, SL

·
Registered
84 Posts
Congratulations, and welcome to the family!

The only issue I had was a leaking AC compressor. Which the dealer reported when I had the car in the shop to install an aftermarket intercooler. I did not notice anything myself. IIRC this is not a Fiat-specific issue, but can occur when not running the AC for long period of time. Which in a convertible is bound to happen, at least in warmer climates (I drive almost exclusively with the top down).

Other than that, >23k miles without any issues.

Cheers, SL
That's not too bad. It has been so hot here in South Carolina we have been driving with the top down and the AC on high!

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
My only issue was the bogus thermostat nonproblem. The fix was an ECU flash. Since then I’ve had a random CEL that went away after I bought fuel again and tightened the filler cap as much as possible. That’s it.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
266 Posts
Hi @pikeman . Do you have a tune? I ask because I also did an ECU flash to correct the delay in the outside temperature reading, and now I am beginning to wonder if that's why EC is having such a hard time putting together a good P1 tune for me.
Other than the temperature reading, this car has been flawless in 40 months of ownership.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I got 2017 fiat spider abarth with 56000 miles. Looks very attractive but I don't think it is reliable for daily long commute. I drive to work and back around 100miles a day. It broke down already twice, cylinder head failed and some leak. Up to now I'm battling with the head office to cover the second repair of cylinder head since it hasn't been 6months since it was repaired. Not that happy with it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got 2017 fiat spider abarth with 56000 miles. Looks very attractive but I don't think it is reliable for daily long commute. I drive to work and back around 100miles a day. It broke down already twice, cylinder head failed and some leak. Up to now I'm battling with the head office to cover the second repair of cylinder head since it hasn't been 6months since it was repaired. Not that happy with it.
Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you buy the car pre-owned?

Cheers, SL

·
Super Moderator
1,026 Posts
Hi @pikeman . Do you have a tune? I ask because I also did an ECU flash to correct the delay in the outside temperature reading, and now I am beginning to wonder if that's why EC is having such a hard time putting together a good P1 tune for me.
Other than the temperature reading, this car has been flawless in 40 months of ownership.
Nope, no tune.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
2017 Abarth
27 Posts
It's always sad to hear someone is having a bad experience... :(

20k on the clock when I bought mine in January... my normal commute is 84 miles round trip.... or longer if I take backroads...

and I daily it ...winter too...

at 33k miles now with zero issues... the only things I have ever had to correct we due to modifications... very solid experience... and I plan on keeping Ghost indefinitely...

20200729_073648.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Sorry to hear about your experience. Did you buy the car pre-owned?

Cheers, SL
I bought it preowned with just 4thousand miles on it. The only thing I can think of is I use it for work everyday and I drive like 100miles everyday. But I make sure it is well maintained by dealer with oil changes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's always sad to hear someone is having a bad experience... :(

20k on the clock when I bought mine in January... my normal commute is 84 miles round trip.... or longer if I take backroads...

and I daily it ...winter too...

at 33k miles now with zero issues... the only things I have ever had to correct we due to modifications... very solid experience... and I plan on keeping Ghost indefinitely...

View attachment 78331
Me too, I use it even in winter just changing my tires to winter tires. Maybe a lot of wear from daily commute but at 56thousand miles? Even an independent mechanic told me that should not break down that much.

·
Registered
16 Posts
When considering reliability, I went with a used 2017 124 (built in 2016) vs getting a used 2016 Miata primarily bc of the additional year warranty I would have with Fiat as well as the proven NC transmission. That said, the experience I have had with Fiat dealership for warranty issues has been absolutely awful and almost negated the benefit of having that factory warranty. Luckily the issues have been fairly minor (BSM system) but I am pretty furious with Fiat and my dealership right now.

·
Registered
156 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the original engine was modified somehow. Unfortunately, due to the power the 1.4 makes, a lot of folks go in thinking they need to modify with tunes, springs, etc and the work could have been done shoddily. That the dealer didn’t find anything for the first go around is promising but they could have missed something.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts