Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Has anyone tried one of the throttle tuners, like GoPedal or RaceChip or Pedal Box or E-Drive Advance? I am considering purchasing one, but don't know if the price is worth it.

Or one of the less expensive ones like S Drive Throttle Controller?

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I have looked at these also...I would upgrade to an ECU clone but not interested in spending that much more money when I already have all the money invested in the EDL and cable...

·
Registered
615 Posts
The best feature of these things is that it's adjustable, meaning you don't have to settle for what someone else thinks is "best". That said, even the reviewer acknowledges it's expensive for "basically some resistors"...

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
The best feature of these things is that it's adjustable, meaning you don't have to settle for what someone else thinks is "best". That said, even the reviewer acknowledges it's expensive for "basically some resistors"...
Yup...I saw his review... the 124 is not as bad as some cars I have driven...I not sure I am will ever get used to the computer telling me where my gas pedal is at and when it wants the car to accelerate...as a driver I just feel disconnected in some cars...they have done a fine job of making it adjustable for all people..however the $299 price is a little hard to swallow for $10 worth of parts...I guess you are paying for their design...not ready to pull the trigger yet...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It looks like the GoPedal from Madness is the most expensive of these throttle tuners. TWM's PedalBox, which is identical, is less expensive, but they don't show one for the Fiat. Some of the others, like the S Drive are much more reasonable. I just don't want to trust my throttle to something that may fail. I need more proof of reliability.

Reactions: PureAdrenaline

·
Registered
615 Posts
I just don't want to trust my throttle to something that may fail. I need more proof of reliability.
If it fails just disconnect it and send it back, no big deal.

Absolute worst case scenario is it somehow jams the throttle on whilst driving. Clutch in (or automatic into neutral) and engine off.

·
Vendor
3,343 Posts
Most of the throttle booster type devices do work. What they do is make the throttle more sensitive in the first portion of the travel by trading the sensitivity at the higher range. So they actually make is less sensitive in about the last 1/3 of the travel.

For example, if you program it to make the throttle open 1/2 way with only 1/3 of the pedal travel it will seem very lively at lower throttle positions (in this case the first 1/3 of the pedal travel). However it will be LESS lively in the second third because you only have 1/2 of the travel left instead of 2/3s. Does that make sense?

In other words, this does nothing for performance, and some people won't like it. If you drive at the track a lot and spend much of your time in that higher throttle range, you may be dissatisfied. However, the vast majority of people like these mods. They do make the car seem more lively, and fun. In a way, that's what these cars are all about.

Greg

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
Most of the throttle booster type devices do work. What they do is make the throttle more sensitive in the first portion of the travel by trading the sensitivity at the higher range. So they actually make is less sensitive in about the last 1/3 of the travel.

For example, if you program it to make the throttle open 1/2 way with only 1/3 of the pedal travel it will seem very lively at lower throttle positions (in this case the first 1/3 of the pedal travel). However it will be LESS lively in the second third because you only have 1/2 of the travel left instead of 2/3s. Does that make sense?

In other words, this does nothing for performance, and some people won't like it. If you drive at the track a lot and spend much of your time in that higher throttle range, you may be dissatisfied. However, the vast majority of people like these mods. They do make the car seem more lively, and fun. In a way, that's what these cars are all about.

Greg
Yup...makes total sense...you only have so much throttle plate movement...the more you use in the beginning the less you have later on;)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If it fails just disconnect it and send it back, no big deal.

Absolute worst case scenario is it somehow jams the throttle on whilst driving. Clutch in (or automatic into neutral) and engine off.
Sorry Pete, but I just don't understand your logic. Having once ridden a motorcycle into the side of an MGB due to a stuck throttle, I don't think sending it back for a refund is a fair trade-off.

Reactions: DanRodemsky

·
Registered
615 Posts
Sorry Pete, but I just don't understand your logic. Having once ridden a motorcycle into the side of an MGB due to a stuck throttle, I don't think sending it back for a refund is a fair trade-off.
My point is it only intercepts and alters the sensor's output. Pull it out if it's malfunctioning. Once it's removed the car is stock. You can do it on the roadside and be on your way.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
My point is it only intercepts and alters the sensor's output. Pull it out if it's malfunctioning. Once it's removed the car is stock. You can do it on the roadside and be on your way.
And if it is cheaply made, it could "only" malfunction in a way that results in a wide open throttle. I'm not talking about one that is manufactured by a reputable organization, I am referring to those from sources like Alibaba, where there is not realistic recourse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts