Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been risking it. My 124 Abarth came with no front license bracket, and, while Oregon requires both a front and rear plate, I put off trying to get the front plate installed. Until today, when I received an $85 ticket for not having a front plate. I was ticketed by a "meter maid" who was checking whether persons had paid the parking meter, which I had. Alas.

Reactions: PDX.124

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
****!!!! That sucKS!!!

Dealer said to me... we don't drill holes in the bumper. Thats your job! Been driving without one since then. But I have a tow hook license plate bracket in my trunk ready to be installed in 30 seconds if MR/MS Do-Right pulls me over. (maybe to late if the meter maid nabs me though.)

·
Registered
490 Posts
That sucks.

Meter maid with nothing better to do. I maintain most cops won't bother.

In fact, my son got pulled over for speeding in my Spider and the cop never mentioned the fact it had no front plate.

Reactions: sdlynx

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
Cool car tax.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Cool car tax.
Oh, that's good!

truebill, do you HAVE to install it now, or just pay the fine and move on, sans the front plate (rising another ticket)?

Steve.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Ticket for no front plate.

That sucks.

Meter maid with nothing better to do. I maintain most cops won't bother.

In fact, my son got pulled over for speeding in my Spider and the cop never mentioned the fact it had no front plate.
Regarding your comment: "I maintain most cops won't bother." That depends on whether that jurisdiction has spent approx. $6K for plate readers in their squads. Obviously dependent on budget considerations.

I lived in Northern California for 43 years, and never had a front plate installed, though the state requires both. Now that I am now in Southern California, am wondering if should consider the potential ticket, because more jurisdictions down here have plate readers installed in their squads. They can get an almost immediate readout if the vehicle coming towards them was reported as stolen. They would hang a quick 360, and stop the stolen vehicle.

Have had my 124A Spider only since April 14th and still no front plate. Perhaps an automated disappearing front plate might be the answer. :confused:

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Oh, that's good!

truebill, do you HAVE to install it now, or just pay the fine and move on, sans the front plate (rising another ticket)?

Steve.
No, I guess I didn't have to install it; I could just keep getting the tickets, but at $85 a pop, I wasn't going to do it. I often park on the street downtown where there are meter readers, so I guess I'm lucky I made it this far. Anyway, I took it to the dealer (although not where I bought it), and they installed the front bracket and plate for free. Although it took the third technician to figure out how it was supposed to go on; he was Claudio from Italy.

·
Super Moderator
1,299 Posts
I put the plate on my dash. No holes, no citations.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
726 Posts
Regarding your comment: "I maintain most cops won't bother." That depends on whether that jurisdiction has spent approx. $6K for plate readers in their squads. Obviously dependent on budget considerations.

I lived in Northern California for 43 years, and never had a front plate installed, though the state requires both. Now that I am now in Southern California, am wondering if should consider the potential ticket, because more jurisdictions down here have plate readers installed in their squads. They can get an almost immediate readout if the vehicle coming towards them was reported as stolen. They would hang a quick 360, and stop the stolen vehicle.

Have had my 124A Spider only since April 14th and still no front plate. Perhaps an automated disappearing front plate might be the answer. :confused:
Dick,
I've been without a front plate in SoCal for 25 years without a ticket. But be cautious of Laguna Beach I've heard.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I'm bummed, dealer just sent photos of my car, they installed the freaking front plate bracket after I told them not to. There goes my plan of going front license plateless :(

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
I'm bummed, dealer just sent photos of my car, they installed the freaking front plate bracket after I told them not to. There goes my plan of going front license plateless :(
That isn't anything their body shop couldn't fix. For free.

Steve.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Seventeen years in SoCal (Manhattan beach) and I've only gotten ticketed twice for no front plate; both times in Santa Monica by the parking patrol. At ~$30/ticket, it was easier to just pay and go about my business.
I thought it was standard for every dealer to ask if you wanted the plate bracket installed on the front of the car. As a necessary part of the car, I think it should be their responsibility for making sure that the car is delivered to you able to legally drive the roads of the state they sold it in.

·
Registered
79 Posts
OFFS!! Just put a plate on! It looks fine!
Here in the UK, and indeed in all of Europe (actually everywhere I've ever been except the US), front and rear are mandatory. There are very good reasons for it - and what have you got to hide? To us, a car looks bare if it doesn't have one. Like a dog without a collar. Do you notice the number on every plane you fly on and think 'my, that's ugly'?

Attachments

·
Registered
232 Posts
What about someone reaching

I put the plate on my dash. No holes, no citations.
Best regards
Pete
In and stealing it...do you have any concerns about that. Most of the cops I talk to in Round Rock don't like plates on the dash, because in case of a wreck, they become flying guillotiens ...be careful.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Isn't the Texas ticket $200? I put the Platypus plate holder in the front tow hook. It's a different look but I like it.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Isn't the Texas ticket $200? I put the Platypus plate holder in the front tow hook. It's a different look but I like it.
There is a big different between max fine and what someone ultimately pays. Plates are often the same as expired tags in that a cured issue by the court date results in a dismissal for some small fee.

Some courts will actually send someone out to look at it, but a picture with the plate in place on the day of court will usually suffice.

I've had warnings for no front plate and did actually have it as a primary reason listed for a DPS stop once...still got a warning when they accepted that it was on order and being shipped from the factory (this was on the XK8). Secondary reason cited in that one was driving in the left lane...given the traffic in the right lane, I stayed in the left so I would not be 'weaving.' That never even made it onto the warning citation...which unfortunately, is now ALSO tracked if the issuing agency uses the computer printouts for their tickets.

·
Registered
676 Posts
OFFS!! Just put a plate on! It looks fine!
Here in the UK, and indeed in all of Europe (actually everywhere I've ever been except the US), front and rear are mandatory. There are very good reasons for it - and what have you got to hide? To us, a car looks bare if it doesn't have one. Like a dog without a collar. Do you notice the number on every plane you fly on and think 'my, that's ugly'?
Um yeah. Have you noticed that European designed cars look good with plates because they have designed for them. Long and narrow.

US plates are ugly blocky designs that look really bad on the front of most sports cars, not just the 124

Nothing to hide....well other than the cars design and attractiveness

Anyway,

I have not had issues yet. But the parking inforcment squads are my concern. I have been thinking about epoxying a rare earth magnet under the tow hook cover, then adding a frame and another magnet behind the plate. Then I can just slap it on in those parking situations and it will look mounted. Super fast and easy.

·
Registered
726 Posts
Seventeen years in SoCal (Manhattan beach) and I've only gotten ticketed twice for no front plate; both times in Santa Monica by the parking patrol. At ~$30/ticket, it was easier to just pay and go about my business.
I thought it was standard for every dealer to ask if you wanted the plate bracket installed on the front of the car. As a necessary part of the car, I think it should be their responsibility for making sure that the car is delivered to you able to legally drive the roads of the state they sold it in.
Lol, at $30 a pop I'd be willing to pay $90 a year in tickets to avoid the unattractive front plate. Lastly, back when I was shopping for my fully loaded 124 a Fiat dealer told me that they don't automatically drill for front plates on cars which cost more than $30k without asking the customer. In the Corvette world from which I came, a drilled front bumper would be a deal breaker for many consumers.

Reactions: Mike34

·
Registered
589 Posts
I grew up in Texas and now live in California. In 20 years I haven't had a front plate. I've found it's not the police but the meter maids that care. I've just always paid the ticket. I also keep my car in garaged parking most of the time.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts