Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time for new tires for the Lusso (stock 17" wheels). Opinions are welcome, personal experiences are ideal. I have narrowed my initial choices to:
1. Firestone Firehawk Indy 500
2. Continental Extreme Contact Sport
3. BF Goodrich G-Force Sport Comp-2
4. Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Thanks in advance.:D

·
Registered
36 Posts
Morning Spider
I ran the firehawks on my 2013 500 pop and loved them. Ben running firestone on other cars for years and no trouble. I drive a 2018 abarth with bridgestone Potenza's and they make my rear view mirror shake so bad I can't make out any car form at 100 feet behind me. I just put on bridgestone blizaks and it's a much smother ride, but traction is awful. anyway after the temp warms up I will be putting on the indy 500's due to all the good reviews. 4.5 out of 5.

·
Banned
2,875 Posts
Get the Indy. The best is not on your list...Pilot Sport 4S

·
Administrator
2,013 Posts
Everywhere I've read, I've come to the conclusion that the Indy 500 is by a long shot the best street tire on the market. Value per dollar, it simply can't be beat, and it gives up very little to the higher dollar performance tires. The only place people seem to notice the difference is on track use when the tires really heat up, where they post slightly higher (but still very fast) lap times. I've been very happy with mine.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Michelin has always been my tire of choice for other vehicles, but for the spider and for roughly $125 per tire vs $185, I think I will look at other options. Thanks to all thus far : )

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,099 Posts
I have the Michelin Pilot Super Sports (no numbers, just plain PSS) and I like them a lot. They have done very well on the drag strip up until it got really cold and I couldn't get them to hook up at launch too well. On pavement, I have yet to feel them break free under some very spirited cornering. Having a pair of Mickey Thompson ET Street Drag Radials put on wheels for track days now.

Roll Tide!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Roll Tide!
The PSS is on my list but I hoped to find first hand information to prove they are worth the extra $200 for a set. My car is a daily driver with no track use, just a little fun on the back roads. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
How do any of these mentioned tires perform for a relatively smooth, quiet ride? I'm guessing they are all considered high performance tires first, and "touring" tires second?

Steve.

·
Administrator
2,013 Posts
How do any of these mentioned tires perform for a relatively smooth, quiet ride? I'm guessing they are all considered high performance tires first, and "touring" tires second?

Steve.
I can only comment on mine, but the Firehawk 500s, at least when relatively new, have been quiet (or at least, as quiet as the stock Abarth tires were). I'll report on any changes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I'm jealous of all who can drive on summer tires during the winter. The first thing I replaced on the car when I got it in December was the tires. Went with Michelin Pilot Sport 3S+. And over the past week, driving on the snow in DC, I'm glad that I did. And, in case anyone wonders why I'm not driving my other car - it's a 1966 Austin Healey Sprite and it's in the shop spending my money quite successfully.

Richard

·
Registered
480 Posts
all of the above tires are good choices. if you are not tracking the car and doing timed laps, chances are you will never know the difference. generally a tire has a specific job. the lower the treadwear number is, the softer the compound is (better grip) but also the quicker the wear (the potenzas on the abarths have a 140 compound which is about as soft as racing tires). the larger and shallower the tread blocks are, the less they will shift in cornering. the smaller and deeper the tread blocks are, the better they shed water and are resistant to hydroplaning.

the only time you are going to have the perfect tire, is when you have a pit crew who changes them daily to the specific environmental conditions.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I love my Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires.

Reactions: jtucker33

·
Registered
2,173 Posts

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I found the Firehawks for $109 each. Any price references for comparison's sake? Thanks again : )

·
Registered
158 Posts
I put on the Continental ExtremeContact Sport last year (205/45R17) and I love them! They are great at autocross, but amazing in the wet! I did not notice a ride or noise difference from the stock Potenza, but they have grip for days beyond the stock tires. If anyone is daily driving and doing occasional autox I suggest theContinental's all day. If you are only driving on street, spirited or otherwise, you will not be disappointed with any tire on your list.

P.S. Does anyone know why there is no space in "ExtremeContact"?

Reactions: 5PIDER

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
I put on the Continental ExtremeContact Sport last year (205/45R17) and I love them! They are great at autocross, but amazing in the wet! I did not notice a ride or noise difference from the stock Potenza, but they have grip for days beyond the stock tires. If anyone is daily driving and doing occasional autox I suggest theContinental's all day. If you are only driving on street, spirited or otherwise, you will not be disappointed with any tire on your list.

P.S. Does anyone know why there is no space in "ExtremeContact"?
They are amazing in the rain.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Of the tires on your list, the Conti ECS is probably the best mixed use option, cost notwithstanding. The Pilot Super Sport will match or perhaps even very slightly beat the ECS in dry weather performance, but won't be nearly as good in the wet (Conti ECS are used as wet weather tires by some SCCA racers in street tire classes).

I'd only go with the other two options (Indy 500 and Comp-2) for cost reasons. From your use case, it may very well be that the extra performance of the ECS and the SS won't matter, making the two lower performance options attractive. For what it's worth, the Indy 500 and Comp-2 finished in the bottom two spots of a 4 tire ultra high performance shootout (the ECS and SS are a performance class higher): https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=235

I'm eyeing the Conti ECS as my next tire. I'm currently running extreme performance S007As, which have been disappointing. I've ran the PS4S on my old Porsche and thought they were great street and mild track tires, but the lower cost of the ECS compared to the PS4S, while apparently being very close in performance, makes me curious to try the ECS.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts