Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

41 - 60 of 60 Posts

·
Administrator
1,879 Posts
Lol, mine have about 9K on them and barely look run-in. Clearly I'm not trying hard enough :) One of the delays on my wheel purchase is I'm struggling with the idea of writing-off the perfectly good OEM tires.

Anyone want to buy a set of lightly used OEM Potenzas?
I was in the same boat but ultimately always wanted a 215/45 tire on this car. I think it looks better and fills the wheel wells more than the 205/45.

I'll be throwing my old tires with 4k miles on them for sale locally once weather warms up.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I was in the same boat but ultimately always wanted a 215/45 tire on this car. I think it looks better and fills the wheel wells more than the 205/45.

I'll be throwing my old tires with 4k miles on them for sale locally once weather warms up.
Yeah - and lowering it seems to have accentuated the sucked in look of the OEM wheels. Ah well. **** kids can pay for college themselves.

·
Super Moderator
730 Posts
Yeah - and lowering it seems to have accentuated the sucked in look of the OEM wheels. Ah well. **** kids can pay for college themselves.
On that note...here are my kids (several years ago) looking at why they need to get a job if they want to go to college!

Mandatory on-topic comment: Anyone else just waiting for their stock tires to wear out now? ;)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
On that note...here are my kids (several years ago) looking at why they need to get a job if they want to go to college!

Mandatory on-topic comment: Anyone else just waiting for their stock tires to wear out now? ;)
I put new tires on when my stocks had 5446 miles on them. They are still mounted to stock wheels sitting in the corner of the garage and look perfectly fine. I'm getting close to having enough perfectly good original parts in my garage to build a second Abarth. ;)

·
Registered
78 Posts
For daily driver in Seattle area, should I be looking at 3 season or 4 season tires?
For the occasional snow/ice days (like now) I will WFH or carpool.
My factory Classica tires are terrible in the cold (~40deg F) and even worse in the wet. I would definitely like to improvement the cool/wet performance. I don't care about snow/ice.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
I got 14k out of my factory Potenzas on my Lusso.
I am currently at 19,000 on my factory Potenzas. Still decent tread on the tires, but I picked up a nail recently and I don't feel confident with a plugged tire. Thanks to all for your input, it is much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
I am currently at 19,000 on my factory Potenzas. Still decent tread on the tires, but I picked up a nail recently and I don't feel confident with a plugged tire. Thanks to all for your input, it is much appreciated. :)
Mine were bald :laugh:

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
Anyone running ExtremeContact™️ DWS06. I was looking at this vs sport due to colder weather...
I tried them, they are too hard for this little car. The traction control engaged constantly.

·
Registered
198 Posts
For daily driver in Seattle area, should I be looking at 3 season or 4 season tires?
For the occasional snow/ice days (like now) I will WFH or carpool.
My factory Classica tires are terrible in the cold (~40deg F) and even worse in the wet. I would definitely like to improvement the cool/wet performance. I don't care about snow/ice.
I am in a somewhat similar dilemma here in North Texas... We don't really get much snow/ice but 30-40 temps is common (especially in the evenings) so not sure if it makes sense to stay with a summer tire all year. I have not really driven her hard enough to get an opinion one way or another on the stock tires but I doubt I would replace them with the same. My head says I probably need to find a "performance" all-season tire for our few "cold spells," crappy roads, scolding summers, and the fact she is my daily driver. We will drive Nina to NM in non-winter months so the mountain roads would be a lot more fun on a softer summer tire. At some point I would like to swap out rims and tires and maybe get a bit more rubber on the road as well. I have a little time as I only have about 3k on the tires now but never to early to start planning to spend money :)

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
I am in a somewhat similar dilemma here in North Texas... We don't really get much snow/ice but 30-40 temps is common (especially in the evenings) so not sure if it makes sense to stay with a summer tire all year. I have not really driven her hard enough to get an opinion one way or another on the stock tires but I doubt I would replace them with the same. My head says I probably need to find a "performance" all-season tire for our few "cold spells," crappy roads, scolding summers, and the fact she is my daily driver. We will drive Nina to NM in non-winter months so the mountain roads would be a lot more fun on a softer summer tire. At some point I would like to swap out rims and tires and maybe get a bit more rubber on the road as well. I have a little time as I only have about 3k on the tires now but never to early to start planning to spend money :)
LOL. Your logic fits in very well here. I've got very soft 200TW tires on my car right now and I've driven them in lows 30s with no issues. I wouldn't want to drive them in snow or ice. And I probably wouldn't want these tires if it rained a lot here. Below 40F they will lose traction a bit if I make them. For what you are describing I think the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires would be perfect for you. I think it's the tire I will switch to if I end up with a track and street set of wheels.

·
Registered
1,810 Posts
I'm getting a set of Vredestein QUATRAC 5's on my OEM wheels to use in winter. They're all seasons, but winter focussed (they have the 3 Peak Snow Flake snow tire symbol) so do better than normal all seasons in snow. I have similar BF Goodrich's on my wife's SUV and they are awesome.

The problem here in Denver is the variation in temps this time of year. Mornings are typically far too cold for summers, afternoons are often warm enough to melt winters.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'm getting a set of Vredestein QUATRAC 5's on my OEM wheels to use in winter. They're all seasons, but winter focussed (they have the 3 Peak Snow Flake snow tire symbol) so do better than normal all seasons in snow. I have similar BF Goodrich's on my wife's SUV and they are awesome.

The problem here in Denver is the variation in temps this time of year. Mornings are typically far too cold for summers, afternoons are often warm enough to melt winters.
See I just got my 124 and living in Colorado immediately swapped the OEM tires for Bridgestone Driveguard tires. tempurature change is a big thing in Colorado as you can see from the attached picture (don't get triggered.) We get that then 60F the next day. Yes these are run flats but the ride is almost the same as the OEM tires and they are not the best in snow but better than the Potenza's it had on it. Only time will tell how the tread goes.

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
LOL. Your logic fits in very well here. I've got very soft 200TW tires on my car right now and I've driven them in lows 30s with no issues. I wouldn't want to drive them in snow or ice. And I probably wouldn't want these tires if it rained a lot here. Below 40F they will lose traction a bit if I make them. For what you are describing I think the Continental Extreme Contact Sport tires would be perfect for you. I think it's the tire I will switch to if I end up with a track and street set of wheels.
From what I have read it seems these are good in rain as well, correct? I assume also these would be good if I change out the rims as well? If I get snow or ice here I will just stay home! The week started out in the low 70s and lows in the 50s (Monday/Tuesday) and today it is 28 with a chance of sleet. Just another normal winter week in NTX!

·
Registered
2,054 Posts
From what I have read it seems these are good in rain as well, correct? I assume also these would be good if I change out the rims as well? If I get snow or ice here I will just stay home! The week started out in the low 70s and lows in the 50s (Monday/Tuesday) and today it is 28 with a chance of sleet. Just another normal winter week in NTX!
I don't have any personal experience with the tires in the rain but they tested well in wet conditions. @sharkcohen has them on his car and he loves them and can comment on their wet performance.

There isn't a single tire that does it all. Every tire will have a compromise. I chose maximum dry, warm weather grip because that is when I drive my car the most and I wanted a tire that would also be a good performer on the track. I sacrificed wet and cold weather grip and probably some ride comfort as well. If you get tires that work in all seasons they won't be great performance tires. Personally, I wouldn't handicap a sports car by putting all season tires on it. Why have a sports car if your tires keep you from driving it like it's a sports car?

·
Registered
3,106 Posts
The Continental ExtremeContact Sport tires are great in the rain. I can push the car really hard in the rain with these tires, although I try to drive within reason when in the rain and keep it safe. I haven't had any traction issues with these tires in the rain. I would probably opt not to drive the car with these tires if the temps get in the 20s F, as it would probably be hard on the tires.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I am currently at 19,000 on my factory Potenzas. Still decent tread on the tires, but I picked up a nail recently and I don't feel confident with a plugged tire. Thanks to all for your input, it is much appreciated. /forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_smile.png[/QUOTE]

Roll Tide, (Decatur/Huntsville originally) & Yes do be careful with the stock tires & nails. 10k miles on the car & I hit something on the highway the other day & before I could get it over 4 lanes I was running on bout 2 inches of rubber on the rim. I still don't see how I didn't ruin the wheel. I was running hard on turnpike in Florida in left lane. Let me tell ya these little Spiders don't feel real good when ya lose a tire at high speed. Lol I thought it was very windy at first until the low tire warning & bells & buzzers started going crazy. I went out & bought another stock tire but wish I would have gone with something better. Say hey sometime. Roll Tide Roll Y'all. Tommy

Attachments

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks for the feedback on the ECSs I figure that will be my tire when the time comes to do something. I have to agree the idea of putting all seasons on the Spider did not appeal to me so you guys made me feel a little better about making my decision. At some point (hopefully soon) we will get out of dodge and be in NM more and I will have to do 2 sets of tires :)

41 - 60 of 60 Posts