Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
I spoke to my dealer over the phone last night and the service told him that these are not supposed to be plugged because it will keep water in the chassis, wtf?!?!
Is there any dealer prep documentation to back me up?

·
Registered
476 Posts
i personally have read the new car prep paperwork, but do not have a copy of it, and it does not reference the rubber plugs, it does have one little blurp saying to install any shipped loose parts.

Reactions: Abro

·
Registered
1 Posts
My same problem. It goes off twice a week it's been happening for three weeks now. I went to fiat and they keep saying it's the temperature change Bc the sensor is so sensitive it'll go off if it's even half a lb off. It is very annoying I've had to go in three times already asking for them to replace the sensor and they won't do it Bc they say the machine says it's not failing! Any suggestions?

·
Registered
955 Posts
My same problem. It goes off twice a week it's been happening for three weeks now. I went to fiat and they keep saying it's the temperature change Bc the sensor is so sensitive it'll go off if it's even half a lb off. It is very annoying I've had to go in three times already asking for them to replace the sensor and they won't do it Bc they say the machine says it's not failing! Any suggestions?
My advice: (I have had a number of cars from different makers with TPMs.) Make sure the tires are inflated at least to the minimum of the required range when the tires are cold. If the monitor goes off, do a reset. If the reset does not work, go back to the dealer.

·
Registered
476 Posts
one thing to keep in mind. the TPMS on this car is not the same as most cars. Most cars use a direct monitoring type, there is a sensor inside the wheel that is reading the actual tire pressure. In the 124 it has an indirect monitoring system. there is no pressure sensor in the tire but rather it uses the wheel speed sensor and algorithms to make a determination that the tire has lost air since it was trained last. that is why it is important to ALWAYS retrain the system ANYTIME you adjust the tire pressures, otherwise it is making calculations based on wrong info.

·
Registered
955 Posts
I lowered the pressure to 28 pounds, reset the TPMS, then inflated to 29 pounds. That should give you enough leeway to avoid the sensitivity.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Shiloh, I have a theory...
When you say it goes off twice a week, is it by any chance near the same location(s) each time? It states in the manual that electromagnetic interference can cause the TPMS alarm to trigger, and that has been my experience. It may be that the CMU or one of the other modules (ABS?) is poorly shielded.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Shiloh, I have a theory...
When you say it goes off twice a week, is it by any chance near the same location(s) each time? It states in the manual that electromagnetic interference can cause the TPMS alarm to trigger, and that has been my experience. It may be that the CMU or one of the other modules (ABS?) is poorly shielded.
That's interesting since mine went off the first time just after crossing a steel grate bridge. I guess I can understand why the wheel sensors might be messed up a bit after crossing a large steel surface that could impact the magnetic sensing of the wheel speed.

Regardless, I love this little car. It seems to get better with each mile driven.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
Regardless, I love this little car. It seems to get better with each mile driven.
I can't go a week without the TPMS alarm sounding, but it doesn't get me nervous anymore since I check the tire pressures regularly. But as you say, I love this little car too!! Someday I'll have the dealer check it out, but they probably can't resolve it as it sounds like a common glitch.

·
Registered
476 Posts
the only time i had my warning sensors go off i had just crossed through a long very very rough section of road, like rattle your filling out rough road.

·
Registered
11 Posts
OMG DC ? really ? I'm in Kensington, MD and have yet to see another 124 on the road. So I bought my Lusso in July and just this week end, 12/4, the tire pressure warning light came on.. Turns out, the suggested PSI is 29, all tires were 50PSI ! I drive most of the time at 70 MPH or higher. Someone higher must have been looking out for me ! I had my car in for it's first oil change a month ago and asked if they would check tire pressure...."of course...it's part of a number of things they do". Is it possible they over inflated my tires ? Anyway, how do you reset the warning light ?

·
Registered
351 Posts
To reset the Lusso's TPMS, just hold in the button for a few seconds until the light on the dash flashes.

Most people seem to have gotten their cars with the tires inflated to 50 psi or higher. No explanation as to why nearly all dealers are missing it in the prep process.

21 - 40 of 80 Posts