Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Unfortunately, I live in a state that requires a front license plate. I will soon take possession of my Lusso and I really don't want to destroy the beauty of the front of the car by hanging a plate on it. I'm leaning heavily toward disobeying the law & rolling the dice! Anyone else facing this dilemma?

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
Yeah, I think I'd rather not have it on there, but Minnesota requires it. Frankly, I find the "need", if there ever was one, of having a license plate on the front of a car is outdated and unnecessary. States that don't require it seem to do just fine without them.

Any Minnesota drivers out there running without them? Have MN LEOs (local coppers, county mounties, or state bulls), or LEOs from surrounding states, ever stopped you just for a missing front plate? I'm sure it serves as a reason to simply stop you if you don't have one, leading to sniffing around for other items to cite you for.

I'll probably just let them mount it front/center, as intended. I'm not fond of the look of that tow hook mount position. If it didn't potentially mess with airflow through the grill, I'd trim it to size and zip tie it to the grill.

Steve.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Have the same issue; California requires a front plate and yes, LEO's here at least will absolutely get you for not having one. (Know from experience) :-(

Interestingly enough, my dealer (yes the same dumb dumbs that won't/cant order my missing fender badges and had no clue what sport mode does other than making sound "way cooler") said the front plate mount is for the CUSTOMER to put on...Placing a call to FCA to discuss this and other issues.

Got a great deal on the car but seems I sacrificed service for it.

·
Super Moderator
956 Posts
Texas requires one too. I put my plate on the dash on the drivers's side. My kids say it looks "ghetto", but I am not drilling the front of the car, nor will I be gouged $80 for that tow-screw-mount mess. And I strongly disagree with that remark!
regards,
Pete

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
It's required here in CA. I do not run one on any of my cars.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Thanks for the link; Actually in process of trying to make one of these myself...Will let everyone know how it turns out as I should be able get it done and available to others for a lot less than 80 bucks.

·
Registered
3,359 Posts
Really? Where in CA? I got hit twice in former SRT in/around San Diego.
I'm in the Bay Area. I've got hit once by a meter maid while parked in San Francisco. I call it the cool car tax.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
sleepy, with all due respect that tow eye plate mount is butt ugly! I'd rather run the risk of a ticket than to mount a front plate anywhere on the front of my soon to be delivered Lusso!! I'll just have to go the ghetto route like pikeman, lol. :)

·
Banned
425 Posts
required where I live. I bought a dealer neoprene plate holder with the long ears on them for dealers to temporarily hang a plate from the trunk for test drives. I put the plate in it upside down, fed the ears through the lower grill and ran a tie wrap through the ears and through the back of the neoprene and top holes in the plate. No holes in the bumper and nothing but soft rubber neoprene touches the car. Protects the edge of the plate too. Would rather do without, but the local yokels use missing front plates to fill the townships coffers. One caveat. My mount has only been tested to 124MPH.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
It's a tough question. I've only lived in the [free] states that don't require a front plate.

However, I have had the 'vanity' plates on the front. With the Fiat, it looks like mounting is quite straightforward. If you need it, you need it. If you do move to a state which doesn't need it, you can choose something more decorative as a plate.

Significantly, though, the 124 front end doesn't look too bad with a plate in the center. Can't say the same for the ND Miata...

If you don't want to drill holes, then as noted above and in other threads, there are options. If I was in your shoes, and aren't looking to keep the car as a show car/garage queen, I think I'd likely just go ahead and mount it in the assigned location.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I am in Texas and it is required. With that said, I have never put or installed the front license plate, and over the past 25 years or so have been stopped twice and given a warning.
I refuse to mess with the look of the car, I will continue to roll the dice and run without it .

·
Registered
958 Posts
Have the same issue; California requires a front plate and yes, LEO's here at least will absolutely get you for not having one. (Know from experience) :-(

Interestingly enough, my dealer (yes the same dumb dumbs that won't/cant order my missing fender badges and had no clue what sport mode does other than making sound "way cooler") said the front plate mount is for the CUSTOMER to put on...Placing a call to FCA to discuss this and other issues.

Got a great deal on the car but seems I sacrificed service for it.
If you want the dealer to mount it, suggest that you are going to the DMV to ask if they require the dealer to mount it as a part of the new vehicle registration process. I would be they will put it on for you.>:)

·
Registered
958 Posts
Can you get away with sticking it on the dash where it is visible from the front? I lived in Texas many years and never tried it, but I have seen others do it. Don't know if it satisfied the LEO's needs.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Can you get away with sticking it on the dash where it is visible from the front? I lived in Texas many years and never tried it, but I have seen others do it. Don't know if it satisfied the LEO's needs.
My experience with regulations are that there are usually 2 phrases included:
  1. Securely installed
  2. exterior of vehicle
Chicago parking permit areas were good for a ticket per week for violation of either.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Also required in British Columbia. Initially didn't do it but at first service had them install it. Over it already,looks ok, better than tow hook mount

1 - 20 of 39 Posts