Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if it is safe for the paint to wrap the car; and if it is worth, from the monetary side :)

The heritage strip cost a ton of money; and I was thinking that maybe, wrapping the car would be easier and cheaper.

Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
A number of folks on here have done it. I think it's generally acknowledged that a wrap is cheaper than getting the car painted, gives just as good a result as painting, if anything it protects the original paint, and it is reversable. So if you want to do a "heritage look", I can't think of any good reason not to go with a wrap.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks; I never wrapped a car before; got a small decal with vinyl, but nothing major.

My main concern was mostly for the paint job; in case the glue that they use to put the wrapping is too aggressive and damage the original paint.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I've got mine wrapped as part of the dealer delivery, and the guy uses very high quality film. So long as you stick with the 3m stuff or equivalent quality, I don't think the paint will be affected. If anything, it will protect the paintwork

·
Registered
575 Posts
Wraps are meant for protecting your paint. Took the idea of the yee' ol' clear bra and just put it over everything with now pretty much any color you can imagine. Totally safe.

·
Registered
544 Posts
I contracted a pro intaller and wrapped my Abarth yesterday. Definitly cheaper than factory Heritage stripe (3000$ option here in Canada) and cheaper than custom painted job (~1.5k-2k). Have the bonus to protect the paint and also removable. No glue is used to install a Wrap.

·
Registered
67 Posts
I was "Not Happy" to hear that "Azzurra Italia Blue" did not get added for 2018 in the USA
That is my Favorite color on this car.. and it is Available Everywhere Worldwide.. EXCEPT HERE !!
I dont want a Prima Special Edition.. I want Black Interior, 6 Spd STICK, and NO Console Plaque

Here in Vegas a highly reputable shop is running a Whole Car Wrap Special for $250 .. I messaged the owner,
sent him pics of the Prima launch car.. and told him .. If he can match that color, I'm ALL IN !
He got back to me yesterday... and replied... " I can do that"... Come stop by the shop and look..

SO... SOON my Meteor Gray Lusso.. shall be reborn in "Azzurra Italia".. Ideally my car should be black to do this..
BUT... I think the gray wont look bad at all either with the doors open and the jambs, trunk, hood exposed..
Also debating having the hood, trunk and portions of the bumpers done in Carbon Fiber.. or Black.. like an Abarth !!

Attachments

·
Registered
733 Posts
Just wondering if it is safe for the paint to wrap the car; and if it is worth, from the monetary side :)

The heritage strip cost a ton of money; and I was thinking that maybe, wrapping the car would be easier and cheaper.

Thoughts?

As with a lot of other things, if you have a reputable shop do the work, it'll be fine. The wrap doesn't harm the paint underneath, and should be considerably less expensive than the Heritage "stripe" option from Fiat. The good thing about wrap is the variety of colors and textures you can choose from, so you're not limited to matte black. I've used a local tint/wrap shop on several vehicles I've had. They used some gray carbon fiber wrap to do a Yamaha Bolt motorcycle I used to have (both fenders and gas tank), and they just recently put some vinyl stripes on my Abarth. The motorcycle wrap was $500, and the Abarth stripes was $150, so not expensive at all.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I got 2 quotes for the black heritage stripe in Toronto.
$750 and $270. Both shops get good reviews. Not sure why the huge discrepancy...
And not sure which I should do. Obviously 270 is much better. But seems almost too good to be true.
I could always try I guess....
It's not permanent.

·
Registered
733 Posts
I got 2 quotes for the black heritage stripe in Toronto.
$750 and $270. Both shops get good reviews. Not sure why the huge discrepancy...
And not sure which I should do. Obviously 270 is much better. But seems almost too good to be true.
I could always try I guess....
It's not permanent.

Was this a phone quote, or did you actually take the car and have them look at it in person? Those double bubbles on the hood will present some challenges, but everything else that the Heritage stripe covers should be easy (fairly flat surfaces). Also, what type of film are they using? Is it rated for exterior use, which normally carries a fairly long warranty (like 5 years)? Is it a quality film, like 3M? That is a big discrepancy in price, has to be explained somehow, either in labor or materials...

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Was this a phone quote, or did you actually take the car and have them look at it in person? Those double bubbles on the hood will present some challenges, but everything else that the Heritage stripe covers should be easy (fairly flat surfaces). Also, what type of film are they using? Is it rated for exterior use, which normally carries a fairly long warranty (like 5 years)? Is it a quality film, like 3M? That is a big discrepancy in price, has to be explained somehow, either in labor or materials...
It was an email quote. They got to see pics in detail of the wrap. They both use 3M or Avery (which I understand are top end). Both have 1 year warranty on bubbles etc... and both have 5 year warranty on materials.
I love saving a buck but I'm worried about a place being TOO inexpensive. Makes me go Hmmmmmm....

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
It was an email quote. They got to see pics in detail of the wrap. They both use 3M or Avery (which I understand are top end). Both have 1 year warranty on bubbles etc... and both have 5 year warranty on materials.
I love saving a buck but I'm worried about a place being TOO inexpensive. Makes me go Hmmmmmm....
The only possibility I see is that they didn't realize the 'standard' heritage wrap doesn't cover just the hood only, but part of the hood and part of the front snout. Getting those lines on each side straight does account for some time.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
The only possibility I see is that they didn't realize the 'standard' heritage wrap doesn't cover just the hood only, but part of the hood and part of the front snout. Getting those lines on each side straight does account for some time.
Could very well be...

1 - 20 of 49 Posts