Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 40 of 45 Posts

· Registered
2017 Abarth, MT
102 Posts
This thread reminds me of an excellent book I read recently - The Art of Driving in the Rain. One of the best books I've ever read, in fact. It's not exactly the same topic of this thread, (the title more accurately refers to RACING in the rain) but if you're a car lover and dog lover, or one or the other, you'll love it, I highly recommend it. There's a movie based on the book, same title. I've heard it's excellent as well, but haven't seen it yet.

· Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth
2,568 Posts
The weather is nuts here. Four days ago it was in the 50s and pissing rain; then it got hot and dry. It will hit 85 today.

Most homes around here don’t have AC; I think I will get out of the house today. I might take the Jeep up to the mountains to find cooler temps.

· Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
1,497 Posts
It hit 91 here today in Maine's western mountains. Top down, AC on, I took the twisty Rte. 27/16 Arnold Trail out of Kingfield to Eustis along the Carabassett River. Stopped here at the Pines Market in Eustis for some Panama Jack SPF50!
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Hood
From there, Rte. 16 over to Rangeley and the Rangeley Overlook.
Wheel Tire Car Sky Vehicle
We got a few rain drops from a couple of those clouds, but nothing to worry about. From here, down Rte. 4 to Farmington, stopping at Gifford's Ice Cream place, then on to home. A great drive for anybody in this area. Best, s

· Registered
2,786 Posts
It hit 91 here today in Maine's western mountains. Top down, AC on, I took the twisty Rte. 27/16 Arnold Trail out of Kingfield to Eustis along the Carabassett River. Stopped here at the Pines Market in Eustis for some Panama Jack SPF50! View attachment 93454 From there, Rte. 16 over to Rangeley and the Rangeley Overlook. View attachment 93455 We got a few rain drops from a couple of those clouds, but nothing to worry about. From here, down Rte. 4 to Farmington, stopping at Gifford's Ice Cream place, then on to home. A great drive for anybody in this area. Best, s
I miss Maine. We were there this time of year taking our kids to camp (a bit south of where you were driving). Lots of fun roads, and speed traps.

Reactions: SteveP.

· Registered
950 Posts
I’m sorry, but your just going to have to trust me. I really don’t want to get into a back and forth about an issue that 99.99% of spider owners will never be concerned about. But it’s the same reason why they don’t want you to put tire chains on the rear wheels.

The type of dif shouldn’t make a dif. The auto has a torque converter, so they should be fine, but to be safe I would still turn it off. I am not talking about rallying speeds. We’re talking 20-25 mph.

And if some disagree, that’s fine with me…really…I care, but I don’t care. It’s your car. Do with it as you will. It was just a friendly tip.

Getting back to the original post, I never drive with the top down when it rains. If I am on the freeway and it looks like there might be a threat of rain, I just keep the top up since there is no quick, safe way to pullover and put the top up.

· Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm sorry too. I was looking forward to learning something new, adding to the knowledge base.

You are however entitled to express your opinion, your thoughts, your views on this or any other relevant forum subject. If your opinion/thoughts/views are in fact based on actual engineering and/or mechanical accepted practices or facts all the better. If it's just your personal opinion, OK/Fine, we all got 'em by the boat load. You can state, share you opinion/thoughts/views and it need not, should not end up being a back and forth monkey fest. State up front your no debate/no discussion position and then present your case. If another forum member chooses to disagree or believes your thinking is flawed then I would hope that member would share their thoughts in the same open, friendly, sharing spirit that you presented your thoughts.

I think as a forum we have progressed significantly from where we were just a few short months ago and seemingly have left the confrontational behind us. But, in light of our recent past history on this forum I do understand why you might wish to keep your thoughts to yourself.

Mike

· Registered
896 Posts
I'm sorry if you feel it's wrong to disagree with you, but dissent is a Constitutional right.

Here's just one anecdotal story to help understand my view.

I put 120,000 miles on a manual NB Miata, traction control on ALL that time, except for a short period when brand new of running with it off. Deep snow, ice, gravel roads, you name it. 120,000 miles and sold it with the clutch intact.

Please prove your point by showing your evidence. A technical article, excerpts from the owner's manual, etc. I wanted to "just trust" you, but couldn't, and hours of online searching brought no results verifying your claim.

EDIT:
I did, however, discover this band.

Clutch - Gravel Road - YouTube

· Registered
950 Posts
Who are "they"? I apologize if you interpret this as confrontational, but I don't know where/how you are getting your information.

From page 182 of my owner's manual:

View attachment 93530
Page 205 from my manual. My 124 spider manual.

JC

In my job, we had an old joke. “Turn left 20 degrees”. “Why?” “Noise abatement“ I shouldn’t have to explain the rest of the joke. In short, just effing do it…I know what I’m doing. And I’m not going to waste the energy explaining it to you.

But as I already said, I don’t care. You do do Scotty P, no um sayin.
Font Material property Gas Motor vehicle Signage

· Registered
896 Posts
Sorry, you're so sensitive, but I'm not doing anything (especially if it's wrong) just because you, or anyone else for that matter, tells me to "just effing do it". You go ahead and jump off that bridge, I'm staying right here.

Just as a public service, (unless you have the only front wheel drive 124 Spider in North America) I would ask FIAT to fix that typo in your owner's manual if I were you.

"Tire chains need to go on your vehicle's drive wheels. This means if you have front wheel drive, the chains go on the front tires. For rear wheel drive, chains go on the back tires."
Snow Tire Chains Explained: How Tire Chains Work & When to Use Them | etrailer.com

· Registered
45 Posts
I have 3 different copies of the owners manual, Abarth and 124. Fiat needs to learn NOT to use cut and paste from the 500 manuals :rolleyes: Anyone that has used snow chains knows that they go on the driven wheels. Yes, I drive in the rain with the hood down but always place dehumidifier packs in the softop well when I get home. Though I don't get wet they do pick up quite a bit of moisture, so I guess everyone is correct on this one:LOL::LOL:

21 - 40 of 45 Posts