Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

Top Gear TV review of 124 Spider

9K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  AbarthSound 
I just caught this and was struck by the fact that the comparison between the original and new 124, and the miata, seemed scripted to conform with the writers concept for the sequence. With all the backroad driving, there was no mention of the distinct differences in suspension tuning, just waxing nostalgic about an original whose achellies heal was reliability. (I strongly suspect that was Matt's first time in a 124.) The comparison of interiors was so theatrical that one would have thought that journalistic integrity would require clarification of the dramatic license they had taken... that the unit on display didn't reflect UK kit in the price quoted.

And I've never heard a review suggest the miata is inferior to an MGB or TR because it wasn't made in the UK. Even the British were glad it was made in Japan. The time spent comparing vehicle interiors should have been spent comparing some useful data on track/autocross. At least some recognition of the choice to be had and specific observations of relative strengths.

As so many of their skits, this was a semi-informative and not entirely on the level. I wouldn't give them too much more credit than that, but it was interesting to see a car program roll out a double standard and work so hard to be harsh.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.