Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone heard the best way to protect the top? I'm new to this cloth-type top. My Miata had a vinyl roof and deteriorated in Florida because of the sun, heat, and moisture. I had to replace it after a few years, which wasn't cheap, and this new top on the Spider looks like it could have issues if I don't treat and maintain it properly...and may even bleach out over time. Aside from keeping it covered, what is recommended....anyone? Thanks!

·
Registered
587 Posts
Search this forum since it has been discussed already; however, I have used 303 Fabric Protectant for years on verts. and discovered (as have many others) that it lasts longer that others such as RaggTopp.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Yes

Has anyone heard the best way to protect the top? I'm new to this cloth-type top. My Miata had a vinyl roof and deteriorated in Florida because of the sun, heat, and moisture. I had to replace it after a few years, which wasn't cheap, and this new top on the Spider looks like it could have issues if I don't treat and maintain it properly...and may even bleach out over time. Aside from keeping it covered, what is recommended....anyone? Thanks!
The 303 fabric protection plus Mcquires convertible top wash is my go to combination

Really looks great.

Not Sure, Austin.;)

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks folks. I found the link for RaggTopp.com already and ordered their cleaner and preservative. Not cheap, but should do the job. Found the other mention of the 303 when surfing this am....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I thank all for the 303 recommendation, I myself wasn't sure on the proper way to take care of the soft top, I placed an order for the 303 cleaner and sealant after reading reviews and looking into it a bit further myself, Thanks Again.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm going 303, and I'll pick up a couple of foam brushes to apply it - I've heard any over-spill is a complete b**** to remove.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Make sure you follow the temperature/humidity recommendations for application to get the best results. I used a small roller and paint brush the last time I applied it but Hurricane Irma seemed to have removed some of it so I am not sure how well it worked; however, spraying it on seems to be the best method and just wipe up overspray and all will be well.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I'm going 303, and I'll pick up a couple of foam brushes to apply it - I've heard any over-spill is a complete b**** to remove.
I had overspray in the past and if you wipe it off as you are applying it is not hard to remove at all, but if you let it sit a while...

·
Registered
430 Posts
No need for top treatment on todays tops, they are manufactured with materials that are UV resistant and with a tight weave that will not allow dirt to penetrate the fiber. No longer is bird **** a sentence to a permanent stain.

Most of my driving is done with the top open, at home it's parked in the garage. Nut'n to worry about.

Paul

1 - 11 of 11 Posts