Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings! New guy from Los Angeles here. I'm about to take delivery of a 2019 Abarth in red in a couple weeks, and would like to tune it as soon as it arrives in the driveway. I appreciate the ton of rich experiences shared on the forum, and hope I can play a part of the community.

So I'm following the EC vs Tork debates, but what I don't understand is that Tork tune that Auto Ricambi sells, and the one that Tork Motorsports (at DamnFastDD.com) claim different gains. AR claims 40+ hp and 50+ tq, while Tork Motorsports claim 30 / 30 gains.

Are these 2 products supposed to be the same? And where can I find the Stage 1+ that some of you guys talk about? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
A Tork tune is a Tork tune. It doesn't matter if you get it straight from Tork or AR. You don't get a "light" tune for buying from AR. Now how John treats the transaction is a different matter as far as after sales service.I respect and admire John's ability as a tuner. He really is very good. But his ability to follow up with his customers after the sale leaves a lot to be desired. John offered me a revision on my current tune but never followed up. All I wanted was the pops and bangs deleted. I eventually sent him a message saying I would pay for the revision. Still no response after almost three weeks. Not sure what else I can do.

I also have the EC tune. It's just as good as the Tork tune and doesn't backfire every time I lift the throttle. At some point I'll be going back to it (when I start driving my car again).

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings from a fellow Los Angeles 124 🤙 . Come to fiat on the snake early October , tons of fun and great folks from this forum

·
Registered
56 Posts
You need to go Tork Motorsport's facebook page and read about changes in the ECU. The ECUs in the 2019 models are different and John was able to figure out the differences and create a nice tune. Not sure other tuners have been able to do it.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
One or the other, you choose, but I have to say, Service after the sale is very important and EC has been very active and responsive when ever some one had some issues with their products. As mentioned in the 1st post.
good luck.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Get whichever one you like but if you plan to truly invest in the car, research and call to see which tuner has the most prepared plan to tune with a bigger turbo. A stage 1 tune makes the car feel better and good enough for daily, but it is still slower than a civic si, genesis coupe, mustang v6, etc.

Depends on what you need.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback. I'll do some more digging on 2019-specific ECU tuning. Probably won't go beyond a stuffed or +1 turbo, but who knows?
I'm looking for a fun car to liven up my daily LA commute and occasional weekend canyon runs & auto-x. Just let go of my C7, and I have to admit that Fiesta ST was so much more FUN to drive around town. Was eyeing the ND, but I'm so glad I found your forum, you all had sold me the Fiata.

·
Registered
151 Posts
For what it's worth, my Experience with Tork (thru DamnFastDD Directly) has been quite good. It does usually take them 5 - 7 days to respond to emails but they always do, and I have had revisions completed within 15 days when requested. I have have a 2018 Automatic that had the NEW firmware (U76 I think) and the tune is spot on. And John just recently responded to this question I recently sent:
Sent: Thursday, September 5, 2019 11:15 AM
To: Tork Motorsports <[email protected]>
Subject:Re: Turley-124Spider Abarth Tune

Hello again Tork Tuners! thanks again for all your work on the 124 spider tunes.
I've been watching the progress on the 124 cars you've been doing lately, and I was curious if the stage 1 tune has had any improvements or changes since I received mine?
If so can I get the updates, if not thanks for your time
Very happy in Florida!

RESPONSE:
Thank you...
We have not had any ground breaking improvements on the tune since we released it. We will be releasing Stage 2 this Fall, so if you are interested in that, we will have results posted for that soon.
Thanks, John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I purchased my Tork Time through Auto Ricambi - as well as a few other things. In my communication with AR, both before and after purchase, Brett was timely and helpful. Since AR's survival is based on supporting only Spiders, I figured customer support would be a priority. My assumption appears to be correct. I've also done business with EC. Their customer support is spot on too. I'm happy with Tork Tune. - Brian

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Awesome guys, thanks for the feedback. I'll do some more digging on 2019-specific ECU tuning. Probably won't go beyond a stuffed or +1 turbo, but who knows?
I'm looking for a fun car to liven up my daily LA commute and occasional weekend canyon runs & auto-x. Just let go of my C7, and I have to admit that Fiesta ST was so much more FUN to drive around town. Was eyeing the ND, but I'm so glad I found your forum, you all had sold me the Fiata.
Wait please tell me more about your experience with the C7...what didn’t you like about it? Was it a Z51?

A fiesta st was more fun????

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Haha. I love cars, but hardly ever geek out about it because it just sounds like "bragging".

The C7 was Z51 - it's an amazing piece of machinery built solely for your driving pleasure. But honestly, a bit too much car for me to handle. Glad I didn't get into a Z06. Took it to auto-x a couple times, but never had time to track it in the 5 years I had it ( you know, because kids). Had a blast on road trips and canyon carving, always get a lot of smiles, but driving it through LA traffic was just not a whole lot of fun, not being able to stretch its legs. Also felt like a boat around turns compared to my daily Fiesta ST.

Then I picked up a Tesla 3P for the wife last year, and kind of kick in the nuts for the Corvette. It made it feel slow, and sucked the fun out of it even more.

The Corvette is my childhood dream car, and I'd admit that it was the hardest car to walk away from. With the C8 around the corner, I know the resale value for these have been dropping sharply, so it was time to act. I decided that a C8 wasn't for me because it's too flashy, and doesn't come in a manual.

I've cross-shopped the 124 against the ND2, and the Italian styling has really grown on me. I'm looking forward to being able to control a drift around corners and learn to drive around a track properly before going to something bigger again.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Haha. I love cars, but hardly ever geek out about it because it just sounds like "bragging".

My C7 was Z51 - it's an amazing piece of machinery built solely for your driving pleasure. But honestly, a bit too much car for me to handle. Glad I didn't get into a Z06. Took it to auto-x a couple times, but never had time to track it in the 5 years I had it ( you know, because kids). Had a blast on a road trips and canyon carving, always get a lot of smiles, but driving it through LA traffic was just not a whole lot of fun, not being able to stretch its legs. Also felt like a boat around turns compared to my daily Fiesta ST.

Then I picked up a Tesla 3P for the wife last year, and kind of shrank the nuts of the Corvette. It made it feel slow, and sucked the fun out of it even more.

The Corvette is my childhood dream car, and I'd admit that it was the hardest car to walk away from. With the C8 around the corner, I know the resale value for these have been dropping sharply, so it was time to act. I decided that a C8 wasn't for me because it's too flashy, and doesn't come in a manual.

I've cross-shopped the 124 against the ND2, and the Italian styling has really grown on me. I'm looking forward to being able to control a drift around corners and learn to drive around a track properly before going to something bigger again.

October 26th streets of willow with speed ventures , November 1st buttonwillow with speed district & December 15 th buttonwillow ( those are confirmed for me for now but more to come. If you care to join any of those track days I’ll be there for sure . Excited to see another spider out on the track

·
Registered
2,366 Posts

The C7 was Z51 - it's an amazing piece of machinery built solely for your driving pleasure. But honestly, a bit too much car for me to handle. Glad I didn't get into a Z06. Took it to auto-x a couple times, but never had time to track it in the 5 years I had it ( you know, because kids). Had a blast on road trips and canyon carving, always get a lot of smiles, but driving it through LA traffic was just not a whole lot of fun, not being able to stretch its legs. Also felt like a boat around turns compared to my daily Fiesta ST.

Then I picked up a Tesla 3P for the wife last year, and kind of kick in the nuts for the Corvette. It made it feel slow, and sucked the fun out of it even more.

Makes sense, thanks.

It would definitely be a shame to have such a car and not be able to stretch its legs.

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
I don't see the Tork tune being sold by Auto Ricambi anymore, did they drop it or am I missing something?
Auto Ricambi has been sending out this email to all its Tork tuned customers the past week:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts