Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience using a touchless car wash with their Spider and, if so, was it positive or negative? I had the unfortunate experience of being behind a farm vehicle dropping stuff in the road and I'm really in need of an undercarriage bath. I don't want to do any harm to the roof or paint and have heard that touchless washes might be too high pressure for a convertible, but have no experience one way or the other.

·
Super Moderator
1,250 Posts
My first carwash with my Miata was touchless. It put it a blast of water through the top and side window gasket that went all over the interior. I got a shower too.
But the exterior was pretty clean! I never did it again. That was 15 years ago.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
186 Posts
I ran my through a very modern touch less was and every thin was fine no leaks at all.
Did you ask, or were you able to get them to turn off the wax spray they typically use for all vehicles, which I gather would not be good for our fabric top.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I ran mine through one and no leaks in the interior, had a little water in the trunk though.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Did you ask, or were you able to get them to turn off the wax spray they typically use for all vehicles, which I gather would not be good for our fabric top.
No but, thank you I had not considered that. But it is the perfect reason for me to get the cheapest wash. I usually do it by hand any way but after a long drive through central California collecting all manner of bugs a quick rinse is a must.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I've been using touchless automatic carwashes for my Miatas for years, and for my 124 Spider. In fact, I purchased a monthly subscription for unlimited touchless washes at a local gas station for $30/mo. Since I drive my car through the winter, I need to wash the underbody quite frequently (at least 2x per week). I would never be willing to hand wash the Spider that often, and it's much harder to wash the underbody while doing a hand wash. I've never had a problem with my Spider in the automatic wash. In fact, the designers of automatic washes claim that they are completely safe for all cars and materials, including convertibles: https://www.cars.com/articles/is-it...-through-an-automated-car-wash-1420684521740/

·
Registered
186 Posts
I've been using touchless automatic carwashes for my Miatas for years, and for my 124 Spider. In fact, I purchased a monthly subscription for unlimited touchless washes at a local gas station for $30/mo. Since I drive my car through the winter, I need to wash the underbody quite frequently (at least 2x per week). I would never be willing to hand wash the Spider that often, and it's much harder to wash the underbody while doing a hand wash. I've never had a problem with my Spider in the automatic wash. In fact, the designers of automatic washes claim that they are completely safe for all cars and materials, including convertibles: https://www.cars.com/articles/is-it...-through-an-automated-car-wash-1420684521740/
Brandon's comments are all well taken. I decided today to return to the car wash I used for my prior ride the last several years. Their workmanship was really superior. If you got there Monday - Thursday before 10:00 AM the wash, dry, inside vacuum, and carefully cleaning all wheels was $15.00. There are no brushes used at all. While the car is pulled through the washing operation with an automatic conveyor, individuals beside that line hand wash the car with large soapy mitts they keep replenishing with large buckets of soapy water. I asked the Station Manager if he had any ability to turn off the wax spray for a convertible wash. He said that could be done upon customer request. I think this is important, because I don't think the wax spray would be favorable for the fabric top. He also offered that since I was such a good customer the last several years, they would offer to do a complete hand wash in their auto detail center for $25.00. I may take them up on that as I have not had any requirement to get my 6 months old 124A Spider washed yet. Really do enjoy sunny California and this marvelous roadster. :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I don't mind hand-washing my little Spider one bit. I call it "exercise". Plus, why throw away good money on harsh detergents or waxes that wash off in water? I'll stick to a little elbow grease and pat myself on the back with the gleaming results.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't mind hand-washing my little Spider one bit. I call it "exercise". Plus, why throw away good money on harsh detergents or waxes that wash off in water? I'll stick to a little elbow grease and pat myself on the back with the gleaming results.
I don?t mind washing mine by hand either, but I really need to get the undercarriage cleaned.

·
Read Only
69 Posts
The enormous amount of road salt used here in northern NY forces me to frequent the car wash often for my daily driver (AWD Nissan Juke). I first use the DIY wand to clean wheel wells and undercarriage. The Touchless wash does a really poor job of this. Then I got through the Touchless choosing the cheapest version for the remainder of the outside. It costs be $5.00 for the wand and $10.00 for the Touchless. Pricey but cheap insurance for saving the car. ;)

·
Registered
305 Posts
The enormous amount of road salt used here in northern NY forces me to frequent the car wash often for my daily driver (AWD Nissan Juke). I first use the DIY wand to clean wheel wells and undercarriage. The Touchless wash does a really poor job of this. Then I got through the Touchless choosing the cheapest version for the remainder of the outside. It costs be $5.00 for the wand and $10.00 for the Touchless. Pricey but cheap insurance for saving the car. /forum/images/124Spider/smilies/tango_face_wink.png
You don’t have a rust check installer in new york?

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
529 Posts
Given the state of my back these days, I was luckily able to find a full-service car wash in my neck of the woods that offers hand washes at a fairly reasonable price. Given the soft top and the soft paint on our cars, I have not and would never let Pearl get anywhere near a mechanical car wash, touchless or otherwise. :) I've gotten to know the guys at that car wash, and they always remark about the great looks of the car. I always tip them well, and my paint looks as good as it did on delivery two and a half years ago. It's been my experience over the years that any sort of mechanical car wash will eventually create swirl marks in the paint. On some of my older daily drivers that was not a big issue but Pearl...well that's another story.

·
Registered
2017 Classica
5 Posts
My first carwash with my Miata was touchless. It put it a blast of water through the top and side window gasket that went all over the interior. I got a shower too.
But the exterior was pretty clean! I never did it again. That was 15 years ago.
Best regards
Pete
I did the same with my '99 Miata 20 years ago - once and never again! I hand wash it and my Spider with Meguiar products.
'FIATA'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts