Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Route: https://goo.gl/maps/WoyNtjYEFUJ2

Takeaways: Skip this route. The scenery is peaceful, but the roads are boring. Smooth, but boring. Good for a motorcycle cruise, maybe? The northern Lake Huron coast is much better driving for similar scenery, though still no twisties.

Next on the docket will be the areas north of Ann Arbor.

Car lessons learned:
  • Seats and I will get along fine...300 miles in a day and no ill effects.
  • Dog loves the combination of top down and heated seats on
  • If I ever make it on a powertrain design team, I will always always always push for a longer 6th gear. 3k+ rpm is not okay for 75 mph.
  • Black cars get filthy quickly with any wet road spray
  • 60-100 is fun, and overwith relatively quickly. Units not included for avoidance of self-incrimination

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
I tend to agree with the 6th gear to a certain extent. Top gear should be a cruise gear (you should hear about the old Spider top gear - talk about a waste of a gear - 4K rpm at 75 or so).

However, for the smaller engine, I do think it works out fine, keeping it in the 'roadster' spirit, rather than GT spirit. Put your foot down in 6, with a small turbo delay, and it goes; [i'm sure] it takes you well beyond the speed limit in no time.

I'm interested in what roads you find; there doesn't seem to be a lot of good roads down south east MI to get some jollies. (Got stuck behind a cop car doing 5 under on service road...at least the top was down and the sun was shining - so many options for fun).

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I tend to agree with the 6th gear to a certain extent. Top gear should be a cruise gear (you should hear about the old Spider top gear - talk about a waste of a gear - 4K rpm at 75 or so).

However, for the smaller engine, I do think it works out fine, keeping it in the 'roadster' spirit, rather than GT spirit. Put your foot down in 6, with a small turbo delay, and it goes; [i'm sure] it takes you well beyond the speed limit in no time.

I'm interested in what roads you find; there doesn't seem to be a lot of good roads down south east MI to get some jollies. (Got stuck behind a cop car doing 5 under on service road...at least the top was down and the sun was shining - so many options for fun).
Next run I make I'd like to string these together as such:
Overall Map from home-ish
Source 1
Source 2

Some time in March unless we get too nice of a weekend before that??? I'd welcome another 124 on the run! Meet south of Lansing?

You may have some of the best areas within striking distance from Bellville. The line from Jackson to Pickney to Brighton to Waterford to Almont seems to be the best bet near Detroit based on road maps and terrain maps.

Also a good indication, FCA, GM, and Ford proving grounds are all on that line ;)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's a crap compromise for companies selling in the US...get as high of a number as you can on this test:

which means using top gear at the speeds listed. But be good for driving at 70+ to keep people happy traversing the country...

My main reason to complain though is the exhaust resonance that is designed in at the same RPM. At least it seemed so since I wasn't just hearing wind noise...

Something small in an otherwise excellent ownership experience thus far.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts