Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm just over 1k miles on my manual Abarth. Always in Sport Mode.

Today was the first time I turned off the stablility control on my winding 2 mile jaunt to my commuter lot. It felt a little different but it's too early to tell really.

What say you, on or off?
Is it meant to be off most of time and on in wet/lousy weather?

I'm wondering if I should just get in the habit habit of turning it off right after I engage Sport Mode.

tia

·
Registered
105 Posts
Probably want to play without traction control at a safe parking lot to get the feel... don't forget to do the free BONDURANT driving school that comes with your purchase of an Abarth.

I've gotten over spinning out and now just use sports mode.

·
Registered
587 Posts
TC and SC are for safety thus the reason they are mandated; however, if you know what you are doing turning them off can amount to a lot of fun. I have yet to try it in this car but as it is rear wheel drive with not that much power I look forward to turning them off as soon as my car arrives.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, in the week since I posted I've just gotten in the routine of shutting it off. In lousy weather I'll leave it on.

When I get in the car I kind of feel like I'm in the cockpit of plane:
Top down, Check;
Igniton on, Check;
Sport Mode on, Check;
TC/SC off, Check;
Let's Roll!

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
It's not that invasive and doesn't pull the power at a hint of tyre squeal so I'm inclined to leave it on. We used to have an NC MX5 where its threshold was so low and it was so invasive that you turned it off the moment you started the engine.

·
124 Spider Vendor
1,182 Posts
It is invasive for my style of driving, when I start the car I shut it off....every time.

But most people know little to nothing about driving, we lack real driver education in this country, most are unlikely to catch a spin once the car is sideways.

Thus, most folks should leave it on.

Thus, gotta know your limits to answer the question.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
I know one thing, if anyone is driving in snow and gets stuck, put the traction control OFF, otherwise you'll have a hard time to get out. Even with my 4 wheel drive, only way to get out was to put off traction control.

Reactions: jconli1

·
Registered
956 Posts
I know one thing, if anyone is driving in snow and gets stuck, put the traction control OFF, otherwise you'll have a hard time to get out. Even with my 4 wheel drive, only way to get out was to put off traction control.
You know that that sounds really counter-intuitive.

Reactions: Godina

·
Registered
726 Posts
Probably want to play without traction control at a safe parking lot to get the feel... don't forget to do the free BONDURANT driving school that comes with your purchase of an Abarth.

I've gotten over spinning out and now just use sports mode.
I agree with Good-Win Racing's comments. Unless you are a pro driver, leave it on. I did the Bondurant driving school as well, and the traction control saved my butt a couple of times, lol (especially that part where you had to do hot laps pacing a Dodge Charger).

I ALWAYS use Sports Mode, BTW. It gives the car a nice pop.

Reactions: CA_Kid

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@ GWR & LBJ
Very insightful, thanks. Since I haven't noticed a difference and it seems there's more potential for it help than hinder I'm inclined to leave on.

Reactions: LongBeachJim

·
Registered
186 Posts
TC off and sport mode enabled on my 124 Abarth made for an interesting experience driving on a highway entrance ramp in the wet. I may have taken the turn a little bit on the fast side, and felt the rear end slide to the right just a tad. Not enough to soil myself, but more of a, "Hm, that's a new one."

Previous cars were FWD, so the driving dynamics are new for me.

·
Registered
587 Posts
Needless to say rear wheel drive is a lot different than front wheel drive, and most people may have never even driven a rear wheel drive car based on the abundance of front wheel drive cars. I suggest finding an empty parking lot, ideally wet, and turn everything off and play around with the car so you can get a feel for what it is like.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
On the highway, I leave it on; when other vehicles are around. Even with the TC on, you can get it to step out of line before the TC can bring things back. This is how I was learning where that 'break point' is.

What's interesting is that the 7" wide tires seem to be ideal for standard power and economy, but I suspect if you boost the power (torque) then 8" would be better for keeping it on the road.

·
Super Moderator
1,301 Posts
Your comments make me feel like less of a dope Jim. I was so wound up for the chase I forgot all about the sport mode and traction control. Then again, neither of us bent the cars!
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
590 Posts
This chassis is very forgiving and is easy to control when you let it loosen up. It reminds me of a smaller version of my RX-8, which might have been the worlds most controllable car.

It is worth learning the way Bob suggests and go have some fun in a parking lot. I did that a long time ago in my first RX-7 which was very tail happy. Once you learn to drive that way, it is incredibly fun. It is one of the best parts of a 50:50 front engine rwd car.

In contrast, my Elise didn't give you much room before it decided it was time to swap ends. but it didn't let go either.

·
Registered
587 Posts
My Dad taught me how to drive when I was 14 that way, on a wet parking lot and a few months later in the same place but on snow, in a rear wheel drive pickup truck. It really is the safest place to see what the limits are and the next best thing to paying an instructor at a track or skidpad, which is also a great place to learn albeit not free.

·
Registered
289 Posts
on the highway I leave it on, but for aggressive/fun canyon twisties I turn it off. a few times it kicked in, the car dropped out of boost and bogged something fierce. Not fun when pushing hard, but for normal driving don't mind the safety aspect. The oem tires step out pretty easily under power, so experimenting in a safe area is highly recommended.

·
Banned
425 Posts
I leave it on until I get to the fun roads. Then off it goes as the rear spin on this car is very controllable and I use it to steer through the corners. Sport mode comes on if I am not in "grand touring mode" meaning enjoying the surroundings, more than the car.
Side note. Rear wheel drive and the ability to steer with the rear saved my bacon one time. I was driving home in a snow storm and a big state snow plow didn't see me and made a U-turn at the end of the divided highway right in front of me. He had the plow raised to windshield height to drop the snow he had been pushing in the median. I thought I was a goner. I was driving an old full size rear wheel drive sedan at the time and got on the gas, steered until I had the rear headed toward sideways, then counter steered with a little more gas and served right around it. My friend was trailing behind couldn't believe I escaped.
Front wheel drive has more control until you lose traction, at that point you are pretty much the feather at the end of the arrow head and unless you stop in time, you are going to wreck.
With rear wheel drive, you can end up sliding quicker, but still have some say over where you are going. If nothing else, you can choose to leave the highway, rather than run into the guy in front of you, if that looks to be a better option. I have been mostly a street rider on my motorcycles but have enough dirt bike experience to suggest that anyone looking to improve driving skills should spend some time on the trails with a light dirt bike. Very enlightening.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I'm just over 1k miles on my manual Abarth. Always in Sport Mode.

Today was the first time I turned off the stablility control on my winding 2 mile jaunt to my commuter lot. It felt a little different but it's too early to tell really.

What say you, on or off?
Is it meant to be off most of time and on in wet/lousy weather?

I'm wondering if I should just get in the habit habit of turning it off right after I engage Sport Mode.

tia
The article title in the link says all:
http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-cul...ne-of-the-dumbest-things-you-can-do-in-a-car/
According to a driving instructor.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts