Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been other threads about this topic, but nothing was ever resolved so I am bringing it up again. Has anyone successfully installed a trailer hitch on their Spider? I want to do this mainly for hauling a couple of bikes and don't want to chance scratching the paint with a trunk mount carrier.

·
Registered
729 Posts
That's what a truck is for...putting a tow hitch on a Spider borders on being sacrilege, lol...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
True that, but we want to be able to take our bikes to the beach, and top down is the only way to go. I have hitches on our other two vehicles and probably won't put one on the Spider, but was curious if anyone else has just in case.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Hard Dog Hidden Trailer hitches for the '17 MX5 is the closes that I have seen. Mountings underneath might be compatible, but our rear bumper design would probably not work.

·
Registered
430 Posts
That's what a truck is for...putting a tow hitch on a Spider borders on being sacrilege, lol...
I think not. Some here may not have the same self identity in relationship to our cars as you, Nut'n wrong wit dat. ;)

My girl friend and I are planning a 2-3 tour in the 124 this summer and it would be great if we could take the bicycles along. Trunk mounts are inconvenient when you need access to the trunk and are more likely to cause damage then a hitch mounted rack.

Hmmmm. with a light weight trailer maybe I'd be able to haul my track bike with the 124. :laugh:

Paul

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have decided to forget about the trailer hitch or the trunk carrier for now. Found out we can rent bikes for $21 bucks a week. Not worth the $$$ for the hitch or the possible damage to the paint. Still interested if anyone had luck with a hitch though.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Problem is clearing the low central lights.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
20 Posts
The Hard Dog Miata hitch does not really work without a lot of modification due to the reverse light. I had to cut up and change the hitch to make it fit behind the light. I also had to cut the L shaped bumper supports because the hitch gets in the way. Works good for my bike rack but I'm not sure I would trust it with too much weight.

124hitch.jpg

124hitchoncar.jpg

·
Registered
233 Posts
LOL. I have to admit I winced when I saw the title for this thread. However, I am thinking about jacking-up a Miata and going off-roading. ;)

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Nice job Kimarru! Can you possibly take one more shot of the receiver without the bike rack? Would be great if you could convey your mods to Bethania Garage Inc. (Hard Dog Fabrication) to convince them to produce a Fiata version of their Hideaway Hitch ;)

I've had blog readers write me and ask for a way to carry skis and snowboards, and this hitch would be ideal vs a trunk rack.

·
Registered
430 Posts
LOL. I have to admit I winced when I saw the title for this thread. However, I am thinking about jacking-up a Miata and going off-roading. ;)

With all due respect... may I suggest you start another thread rather then add clutter to this one. ;)

Paul

·
801 Posts
A good way to mount bikes would be great for the Spider. We have had a few customers ask about this but have not sourced a good solution yet.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I'd love to be able to pull my Kart trailer with the FIAT as tongue weight is less than 70 LBS. The kart + trailer does not weigh too much more than 4 tires/rims going to autocross. I see the Porsche guys bring their tires that way all the time.

I doubt I'd do it, as I'd not want to add the extra weight to the car, but in Europe they tow with these small cars all the time. Best hitch I saw was one with the receiver facing down and totally invisible from the back of the car. You then attached a "U" Shaped hitch with the ball at the end.

Reactions: Roadscum

·
Registered
20 Posts
I flipped the Hard Dog hitch which hangs to the rear of the car from the bumper mounts. Then the hitch needed to be about an extra 1 1/2 in toward the front of the car to clear the light. So I added some small pieces of 1 1/2 in square tubing to space it. I then made 2 new bumper bolt plates and 2 longer frame reinforcement bars to match up with a better hole in the frame. I also had to cut the plastic L shaped brackets that attach to the lower bumper trim. If I was to do it again I would just start from scratch and use 1 in tubing for the cross bar because the 1 1/2 does press into the exhaust cut outs and it looks like it could be lowered some so you wouldn't have to cut the bumper brackets. I'm not sure how strong that would be compared to the 1 1/2 in tubing though.

124spiderhitchunder.jpg

124spiderLbracketcut.jpg

124spiderhitchexhaustcutouts.jpg

124spiderhitchrear.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I'd love to be able to pull my Kart trailer with the FIAT as tongue weight is less than 70 LBS. The kart + trailer does not weigh too much more than 4 tires/rims going to autocross.
I used to do exactly that with my second generation Miata back in the day. Shifter kart on a 40x48 trailer. Worked great.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm starting the Hard Dog hitch install this weekend. Did you happen to make a sketch and take measurements, or photos, of the mods you made to the hitch to clear the light? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated...

1 - 20 of 43 Posts