Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,256 Posts
Nice work with that Hard Dog. If they put your design into production, I'd strongly consider buying it for my bike rack.

Steve.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I'm starting the Hard Dog hitch install this weekend. Did you happen to make a sketch and take measurements, or photos, of the mods you made to the hitch to clear the light? Any information you can share would be greatly appreciated...
I didn't really take good notes, I just mocked it up as I was going. The Hard Dog hitch sticks away from the back of the car so I had to remake it flipped which still didn't clear. So I matched the 1 1/2 tubing, that the hitch is made of, to make spacers to bring the hitch further forward around the light. Then I remade the metal bumper plates copying the originals. I then had to make new longer support bars to help tie the tubing together and to better match up with the holes in the frame rails. I also made some triangular pieces similar to the ones on the original hitch that go from the bumper plates across the tubing for extra reinforcement. I put them straight across the tubing so it would clear the trunk seam.

Hopefully this picture helps. It doesn't have the triangular pieces but you can see those in the first image I posted. If you have any more questions I'll try my best to answer them. Good luck with the install.

124spiderhitchunfinished.jpg

·
Registered
20 Posts
Not sure why this didn't post last night.

I didn't really take good notes, I just mocked it up as I was going. The Hard Dog hitch sticks away from the back of the car so I had to remake it flipped which still didn't clear. So I matched the 1 1/2 tubing, that the hitch is made of, to make spacers to bring the hitch further forward around the light. Then I remade the metal bumper plates copying the originals. I then had to make new longer support bars to help tie the tubing together and to better match up with the holes in the frame rails. I also made some triangular pieces similar to the ones on the original hitch that go from the bumper plates across the tubing for extra reinforcement. I put them straight across the tubing so it would clear the trunk seam.

Hopefully this picture helps. It doesn't have the triangular pieces but you can see those in the first image I posted. If you have any more questions I'll try my best to answer them. Good luck with the install.

124spiderhitchunfinished.jpg

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the photos and information sharing Kimarru. I came up with an alternate design this week end and I'm meeting with a local fabricator to discuss the project this coming Saturday. I'll post pictures and a measured print, along with contact information to the fabricator, if it works out. Can't imagine it will not go well as my design is pretty straight forward and will require no rework to the car and allow the use of the factory light.

More to come...

·
Registered
150 Posts
I don't know if anyone has already, but I sent an email to Hard Dog asking if they had any thought of creating one for the Fiat 124 Spider since the chasis is basically the same. Hopefully I'll hear back. I just don't have the time (nor space) to get around to working on modifying a Mazda one myself.

·
Registered
150 Posts
If any member here lives in Tempe, AZ (or close proximity) it looks like you can go to the U-Haul Research & Development facility and they will fabricate one for you fro free if it's the first care they have in as a template for their product line. They do have to have access to the car for 2-3 days.
I was extremely tempted to drive there to have it done, but between fuel costs, hotel stay and food it would end up being about a $600 deal for me.

https://www.uhaul.com/Trailer-Hitches/2017/Fiat/124-Spyder/Front-Wheel-Drive/?ddl

·
Registered
150 Posts
I got a reply about the Hard Dog.
Our R4H will work but there are some additional alterations required to the back-up lights and bumper cover for the Fiat.
Since I'm not crazy about having to do alterations to the bumper cover or backup light the hunt continues.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I'd love to be able to pull my Kart trailer with the FIAT as tongue weight is less than 70 LBS. The kart + trailer does not weigh too much more than 4 tires/rims going to autocross. I see the Porsche guys bring their tires that way all the time.

I doubt I'd do it, as I'd not want to add the extra weight to the car, but in Europe they tow with these small cars all the time. Best hitch I saw was one with the receiver facing down and totally invisible from the back of the car. You then attached a "U" Shaped hitch with the ball at the end.
same thing could be done with the Fiat, simply make the U, then have legs coming out past where the reverse light is, then a cross-bar with the ball mounted on that. Totally hidden when the U is removed. I was going to do something like that but instead of spending the money on a welder to play with I purchased a couple of telescopes to go with our travel trailer outings.
I was going to pull a small TurtleHull motorcycle trailer behind it so I would have 15cf of extra storage.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old tread from the distant past... But...

Today, I spotted this on Jalopnik: Installing a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata is incredibly easy and fixes the car's biggest flaw.

While not our beloved Spiders the ND Miata is a kissing cousin... so maybe this will help those looking to boost the cargo capacity of the spider.

I checked out the e-trailer web site, they didn't have one for the spider, but I think with some effort and creative thinking the MX-5 unit can be adapted. You're going to have to tap into the tail lights and make something work on the trailer itself. Which is doable.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Sorry to bring up an old tread from the distant past... But...

Today, I spotted this on Jalopnik: Installing a trailer hitch on a Mazda Miata is incredibly easy and fixes the car's biggest flaw.

While not our beloved Spiders the ND Miata is a kissing cousin... so maybe this will help those looking to boost the cargo capacity of the spider.

I checked out the e-trailer web site, they didn't have one for the spider, but I think with some effort and creative thinking the MX-5 unit can be adapted. You're going to have to tap into the tail lights and make something work on the trailer itself. Which is doable.
A Facebook member recently installed this hitch on his Spider.

"A Class I Curt receiver hitch (C11435) is now available for the MX-5 and 124!

Mazda and FCA do not recommend towing, but for light loads (e.g., bicycle rack, cargo platform), this receiver hitch is absolutely ideal.

At less than $200, it's a bargain.

Maximum 200 pound tongue weight.

Rated for towing up to 2,000 pounds (but not advisable!)."

https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Curt/C11435.html

Also, someone else posted this option which is lighter. but not sure if it fits the Spider. Has anyone here installed either of these?
https://pacomotorsports.com/product/lightweight-trailer-hitch-nd-miata/

·
Registered
20 Posts
would putting a bike on the back cause the rear sensors to nut up?
Yes, It's very annoying when you are in reverse. It's too bad it doesn't have an off or mute button for the parking sensors. The blind spot monitoring seems to work okay still at least though.

The Paco Motorsports hitch looks like it would have the same issue as the Hard Dog. The hitch needs to be 1.5" inch toward the front of the car to clear the light.
It looks like the Curt hitch should work. One of the reviews on etrailer mentions installing on a 124 Spider.

Reactions: zvez

·
Registered
289 Posts
Good news! I'm considering one of these and pulling something ultra-lite like this with the Spider would be a nice change.

·
Premium Member
1,578 Posts
LOL. I have to admit I winced when I saw the title for this thread. However, I am thinking about jacking-up a Miata and going off-roading. ;)

Well I liked it anyway...Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,731 Posts
My apology, but I was attempting to delete a reply I had made that was no longer relevant.

But, for whatever reason, I can't delete any posts today. That used to be an option, along with edit. The functionality (or lack thereof) of this site baffles me more and more every day.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Thanks Celbii, I will be anxiously awaiting your project with Pacomotorsports - this looks like the best solution, maybe the ND bracket will fit with little or no modification and will just require a slighlty lower and longer removable extension piece. I can see from the pictures of the modified Hard Dog and the Curt that it is practical to have the 1 1/4" receiver fully under the lighting pod without cutting it, but also that it is low enough that I would rather be able to leave the extension off when not needing the hitch. I won't mind paying a premium for light weight and removable leg vs the Curt.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The issue with the light is it sticks back into where the hitch comes down. I had to move the hitch tube toward the front of the car to clear the light. My reply with the link isn't showing up yet but on U Hauls website they are offering to custom fabricate a hitch for free to anyone willing to let them use their car for design in Tempe, AZ.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts