Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 3 week old Abarth Spider AT in Sydney, Australia. The car was going well. Had minor issues and I am taking the car back to the dealership for it. The current issue is with its transmission. The car just shifts to a higher gear very quickly as soon as I release the gas paddle. upon putting my foot back on the gas paddle, there is no throttle response for a while. Then after pressing it a bit further down, it downshifts and accelerates. This makes driving quite annoying to be honest.

·
Registered
662 Posts
Your problem may be related to turbo lag, or turbo lag is compounding a transmission problem.

If you haven't already, I would install a Go Fast Bits DV+ diverter valve. It allows the engine to hold a little boost between shifts. It worked wonders in my manual Abarth and in my wife's 500l. Smooths the shifts right out.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm no mechanic but I'd agree with steve6225. The turbo on this car wakes up around 22-2300rpm or so, and if revs are falling below that, the turbo boost may be falling off quickly, then recovering as you have noted, when pushing the gas pedal hard causing a downshift, which causes an increase in RPM, which is kicking in the turbo and bring up its boost function.

I second the installation of the GFB DV+ diverter valve. It is a simple installation and helps to slow down that turbo boost loss during shifts.

Here it is at the Eurocompulsion website, including a short video showing some installation notes.
https://shopeurocompulsion.net/products/go-fast-bits-dv?variant=28533426753

It is available from other sources depending on your global location, or EC could send it to you. And there is plenty of talk about it on this site.

You may still have other tranny issues, I don't know, but this might take care of some of it. It works great on my manual Classica. And with the manual, I'm training myself to hold the revs above 2000 on upshifts to help keep the turbo... turbo-ing, even better.

Good luck,
Steve.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree with the comments listed above.
The automatic transmission is programmed to maximize fuel economy so it does that by shifting into the highest gear as soon as possible which drops the revs and increases your mileage. Works fairly well on a normally aspirated vehicle but when you combine it with a turbo, especially one that is know to be slightly laggy, and the results are less than optimal.

One question, have you tried it with the "sport" button engaged? Most of us with Abarth's have noticed a large difference in the low rpm performance of the engine when the sport mode is engaged. This might help things and may also change the shift logic of the automatic transmission.

If it comes back from the dealer and they say "No faut found - this is normal" then I would suggest contacting one of the ECU tuners on this forum. With a reflash they may be able to rectify issues related to lag and the auto transmission shifting logic.

Good luck, Keep us posted.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I have a 3 week old Abarth Spider AT in Sydney, Australia. The car was going well. Had minor issues and I am taking the car back to the dealership for it. The current issue is with its transmission. The car just shifts to a higher gear very quickly as soon as I release the gas paddle. upon putting my foot back on the gas paddle, there is no throttle response for a while. Then after pressing it a bit further down, it downshifts and accelerates. This makes driving quite annoying to be honest.
Spider, what was the final outcome with your dealer visit?

Steve.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm having minor issues with my manual transmission Classica. It seems to want to go back into 3rd, rather than 5th when I'm accelerating. Is this normal? It's got about 1800 miles and I thought it would have found the right path by now...?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Just put a little push to the right when shifting out of 4th. Mine goes right into 5th.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
does installing the new diverter valve void warranty?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I've never seen that putting in a BETTER DV value will avoid the warranty.

·
Registered
621 Posts
A manual transmission often times can be a pain, but ultimately this issue doesn't come up with the do it yourself option.

Alas, often an auto is just a must. I've been there. No worries. Just keep the go pedal under foot. It should eventually "learn" your driving style, unless the wife drives the car half the time.

Regardless, or "irregardless", you have a great car. Enjoy.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts