Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new member here. My 2017 Classica started making a high pitched chirping noise, but it only occurs when the clutch pedal is released and the car is in neutral. I’ve isolated the sound to the clutch release fork. When I crawl u see the car and apply pressure to it, the sound disappears.

This started on my second drive to Las Vegas (from the Monterey Bay Area) about three weeks ago. It was faint, and I (stupidly) ignored it.

Last week, during my third trip, on the way there, the pedal started sticking on the floor and shifting became difficult. While in Vegas (temps were constantly in the 110-117 range) eventually the shifting got so hard and even double clutching was failing, so I quit using the clutch and speed shifted in order to get to auto parts stores and buy some tools and transmission fluid. (I’m not sure if speed shifting is a real term. I basically just match engine revs to what the gears seem to want and it just slips in.)

I followed the directionson on this site (Thanks!) to change the transmission fluid, but since I couldn’t find any Amsoil or Ford products, I used Valvoline 75w90 Full Synthetic Gear Oil.

A quick test drive told me everything was great. Unfortunately, was preoccupied with the hard shifting, and don’t know if the sound disappeared at this time or not.

I then went to leave and return to Monterey, and the shifting issues came back. I was pissed, and convinced that my skills double clutching or not using the clutch at all were good enough to get me home. Note that it was 116 at this time.

When I got off the 101 in Salinas and started on some surface roads, heading to the coast, I noticed that the car was shifting like a dream. No issues at all. Please note it was 57 at that time. Drove it around today, with no issues at all.

1: What is that high pitched chirping noise? Do I need to worry?
2: Did I have two unrelated problems? Or two related? Or just one big problem?
3: Is my shifting issue gone, or just quiescent in cooler temps?
4: Should I change the transmission fluid again, upgrading the fluid?

Note the car has about 42,000 miles on it. I drive a lot.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Stuart

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
Clutch release .....42000 niles seems a little early however...it ain't gonna get any better by the sound of it and WILL fail. New clutch assembly kit is the order of the day. If you have already changed the fluid then a friendly local garage would be a good bet to keep the cost down. The clutch is a wear and tear item so not a warranty claim (if you have any left) but DO have a qualified Mechanic confirm. Best Wishes
ron

Reactions: GuidoVeloce

·
Registered
83 Posts
I would change trans fluid again using the Ford fluid that the NC Miata folks recommend and see how that goes.
Good luck and keep us posted.

·
Premium Member
1,125 Posts
I would change trans fluid again using the Ford fluid that the NC Miata folks recommend and see how that goes.
Good luck and keep us posted.
Totally agree as a first step, for the cost involved, worth one more shot at it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
You think the ford over the amsoil? From what I read here, the amsoil seemed more appropriate for higher temps than the Ford, whereas the Ford was better for cold starts. I was hoping to avoid flying until they come out with a vaccine, which would mean more than a few drives out to Vegas this summer.
But yeah, I’ll change that out and let you guys know how it goes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m not sure about the warranty. I bought it a year ago, pre-leased and am pretty sure the warranty didn’t transfer.

Speaking of that, if it doesn’t involve dropping the transmission, I’m not afraid of rebuilding the clutch myself. Does anyone know of an online shop manual?

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
You have to drop the transmission or pull the engine to get to the clutch, your choice. Transmission is easier and faster based on my experience pulling the engine.

You can purchase all the shop/tech manuals on CD/DVD online.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Damn. I’ll get a quote from a mechanic before I decide to drop the tranny.
I’ll try the fluid change one more time, but I’m not expecting any fantastic results...
Thanks everyone for chiming in. I’ll post again when I have some more on it.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
1,647 Posts
If the sound is when you move the clutch fork, it could be the throwout bearing. Still gotta drop the transmission to get to that though.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, the sound goes away when I apply direct pressure on the fork. (While under the car.)

·
Registered
83 Posts
How about adjusting clutch pedal? I know the NC Miata it could be done so thinking since the trans is the same maybe research it and try it.

I would try everything before spending all that money on new clutch!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Have you put white grease on the rod that actuates the fork from the clutch slave? Under the rubber boot. Common problem on the older ones, wouldn't hurt to try.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Yes, classic symptom...chirp goes away with slight fork pedal pressure equals release/thow out bearing culprit.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, I haven’t taken it very far yet, but after changing the transmission fluid, it felt a lot better on a quick trip around the block. The stuff that came out looked worse than 800 miles should have accounted for. That has me a little concerned.

I read about the white grease trick on a Miata forum, and thought it sounded like repairing a head gasket by pouring a bottle a crap in your radiator. But on the other hand, who hasn’t tried repairing a head gasket by pouring a bottle of crap in their radiator at least once in their life?

The chirp is gone after the shot of white grease under the boot.
Only time will tell if it will stay gone, but I’ll take the victory for tonight.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Had that problem on my 2005 NB Miata but it didn't bother me that much. Glad it worked out for you... for now :)

Definitely a lot quicker and easier than dropping the trans out to replace everything! Start with the easy/cheap stuff first is my usual protocol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts