Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about two months into owning my Lusso, and I'm pretty sure something is off in the transmission. On some shifts, particular downshifting into first or second, I get a lot of resistance (that's the best word I can use to describe it). Sometimes I can feel something moving/clunking when the resistance happens. It's otherwise been 15 years since I've driven manual, so at first I thought this might be normal, but from searching online I'm gathering that it isn't. I'm confident the issue isn't with me (I'm fully depressing clutch before shifts, shifting when appropriate etc.)

Anyway, I want to have it looked at. I'm still under the factory powertain warranty, so if it is something the warranty will cover, what's the process - do I take it to a Fiat dealer? Any Jeep/Chrysler dealer? I bought the car used from an Audi dealership 300 miles away, so I figure that's not the place to take it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
How many miles are on the car? If it's the clutch, they probably won't cover it, since it's considered a wear item. I've seen a few posts on here where guys have had to have clutch work done on low mileage 124's and FCA would not cover it. But if the car is still under a manufacturer's warranty I'd definitely take it to an FCA dealer.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It only has about 15,000 miles on it. Hopefully whatever is wrong is a warranty item Wish me luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Has it always been that way since you've had the car? I know I was worried about the same thing, as there was a noticeable clunk when shifting into second especially. Shifting into first is next to impossible unless stopped. But over time it seems that this is relatively normal behavior, and that rev matching is important when downshifting especially in the lower gears.

Other members have had luck swapping out the transmission fluid, resulting in smoother shifts. If you haven't tried that you may want to give that a go. And of course, it never hurts to get it checked out regardless. A $50 inspection is worth it for the peace of mind even if everything is normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nathan, saw you post after I dropped it off at the shop, and that's exactly how I'd describe the shifting. I just heard from the dealer, and they confirmed it is 100% fine and that's just the normal feel of the transmission. Feel like a bit of an idiot, but better safe than sorry. It's a beautiful day - time to get my car back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I just heard from the dealer, and they confirmed it is 100% fine and that's just the normal feel of the transmission.
I did exactly the same thing! The dealer looked at me like I had two heads. But knowing everything is normal is worth it, so let them judge lol.

Glad everything is OK! I'd still look into swapping out the trans fluid - I haven't done it yet but it's the next thing on my list. Enjoy the spring weather!

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is typical. Specifically shifting into first. Second has some resistance but nothing like downshifting into first. You have to be at nearly at complete stop to go into first. It is frustrating, given the weak engine output at low RPM's. This is pretty well documented and has been the case with my 2020 that was purchased new.

·
Registered
364 Posts
Changing down to first while still moving slightly almost always requires double de-clutching. Master this and you'll never have a problem with this gear or any other.

Some people change the oil to assist shifting and this may help. I haven't and after almost 15k klm from new the trans still takes 10 minutes or so to warm up properly. After that it has smooth changes but I still double de-clutch when quickly downshifting in the higher rev range. This eases the work on the synchromesh rings and rev matches for smooth clutch engagement.

Maybe this is the price to pay for a connected, mechanical feeling, solid gearbox. (It's fun too, part of the driver experience).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts