Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, that was fun. On Sunday evening (2 days ago) I washed the car from the top to bottom, incl. 303 top cleaner. This afternoon, after 2 days in the garage, I vacuumed the top and then used a cheap 3" natural bristle paint brush (nylon bristles will likely melt) to apply the 303 fabric guard to the top, paying particular attention to seems and hems. I guess it was better than a full masking of the car to spray it, but it did not spread like paint on a wall surface. More so it would just sort of deposit most of the water thin liquid right at the point of contact, then I'd kind of scrub it around a few square inches, and repeat. By the time I was done I probably used 2/3 of the 16oz bottle. I probably spent a good 90 minutes on this. Maybe next time I'll try a very short knap 3" roller for the wide open areas. That will probably use most of the 16 oz bottle due to roller absorption But, it's done, for this year.

The brush left a few bristles behind but later on I'll vacuum the top again to grab the bristles and any traces of residue. A few weeks ago I posted the Shop Vac brush attachment I use into a different thread. It is very effective and very gentle.

Happy Motoring!
Steve.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Well, that was fun. On Sunday evening (2 days ago) I washed the car from the top to bottom, incl. 303 top cleaner. This afternoon, after 2 days in the garage, I vacuumed the top and then used a cheap 3" natural bristle paint brush (nylon bristles will likely melt) to apply the 303 fabric guard to the top, paying particular attention to seems and hems. I guess it was better than a full masking of the car to spray it, but it did not spread like paint on a wall surface. More so it would just sort of deposit most of the water thin liquid right at the point of contact, then I'd kind of scrub it around a few square inches, and repeat. By the time I was done I probably used 2/3 of the 16oz bottle. I probably spent a good 90 minutes on this. Maybe next time I'll try a very short knap 3" roller for the wide open areas. That will probably use most of the 16 oz bottle due to roller absorption But, it's done, for this year.

The brush left a few bristles behind but later on I'll vacuum the top again to grab the bristles and any traces of residue. A few weeks ago I posted the Shop Vac brush attachment I use into a different thread. It is very effective and very gentle.

Happy Motoring!
Steve.
Hi Steve, thanks for the tips. How long do you reckon before you need to repeat this process?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The full clean and treat, probably once per year for me. It's a pleasure car for me, not a daily driver (although there have been over 4000 miles driven in under 3 months of ownership). I leave it at home in the garage when rain is forecast, and it will not be used in winter. A couple times per month, I'll vacuum the top of visible dirt and that has been helpful to its health as well.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I should note, using the brush the treatment would seem to look like it would form suds on the fabric, but that dissipated within minutes as it was absorbed and dried. After a couple hours, I vacuumed the top to remove brush bristles and a very minor glitter effect (dried treatment residue) from the top. After a 2 minute vacuum, it looked like new again.

Steve.

·
Registered
1,162 Posts
Rather than a vacuum (which I hadn't tried) I used a lint roller. It's a bit tricky to get into the seams, where a vacuum might be better, but it left the top pretty much spotless and nicely black.

·
Registered
609 Posts
The protectant should last more than a year. I have used it in the past and it was still beading well after the 2 year mark. It all depends on how much you wash it but if you just rinse it off without scrubbing it will last much longer. I have the 303 here and as soon as the car arrives, within a week or two, I will be applying it and plan to try a small roller since it appears using a brush was possibly not the best way. By the way, I have always sprayed it on and just wiped off the overspray and never had paint problems, etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts