Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to replace a 1.5 ton Pittsburgh aluminum trolley jack with something that is still low profile, but offers a higher reach. My 124 is at stock height.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular item, also from Harbor Freight? I am willing to entertain other options.

Thanks in advance,

John

·
Registered
3,054 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm looking more for one jack to do the job, as mine can lift to 15 inches; it barely works with my Esco jack stands as it is. I resort to using a couple of those rubber pinch weld protectors to get the height I need. Dangerous, yes.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Hi....Bought a second low profile September last year...I researched and came up with two brands "Harbor Freight" and "Liftmaster", I went with "Liftmaster" (Just) Both "Best Buys" different sources (1&2)...
Mine is Low Profile Aluminium Quicklift Racing Trolley Jack 1.5 ton GS/GE , was £94.69. 3" entry , DUAL PUP, 1500 Kg, 80-375 mm (3-15 "). TUV GS Certified machinery and safety. 3 Ton at £129.
Lowered 124 Classica Eibach Pro-Kit on 17" Lusso Alloys)
For those reading and owning a 124 Classica.....Even this jack WILL NOT easily fit under a lowered 124 Classica on 16" Alloys, you need to drive onto blocks to get ANY low profile jack under there....
Mine works fine now. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
160 Posts
I'm looking to replace a 1.5 ton Pittsburgh aluminum trolley jack with something that is still low profile, but offers a higher reach. My 124 is at stock height.

Does anyone have any experience with this particular item, also from Harbor Freight? I am willing to entertain other options.

Thanks in advance,

John
John, I got this exact one last fall from Harbor Freight. I've used it several times on my 124 Spider. The low profile configuration along with the long reach is perfect and the fact that it has an upper lift range of 24"+ also means it works well with my truck. Bought this to replace my previous jack that was just a bit too tall, even fully collapsed to go under the 124 Spider comfortably.
3 ton Long Reach Low Profile Professional Rapid Pump® Floor Jack, Green

·
Registered
411 Posts
I also have a Daytona low-profile 3-ton in green, sometimes wish I had got the long-reach. Otherwise, it's a great jack.

In general I prefer not to get my tools from HF, but their tool boxes/carts and Daytona jacks are awesome.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
John, I got this exact one last fall from Harbor Freight. I've used it several times on my 124 Spider. The low profile configuration along with the long reach is perfect and the fact that it has an upper lift range of 24"+ also means it works well with my truck. Bought this to replace my previous jack that was just a bit too tall, even fully collapsed to go under the 124 Spider comfortably.
3 ton Long Reach Low Profile Professional Rapid Pump® Floor Jack, Green
Thanks for the recommendation. As someone relatively new to diy car maintenance, I remember having to take a second trip to HF to get jack oil in order to make the jack work. The user was defective, not the equipment :LOL::LOL:

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I also have a Daytona low-profile 3-ton in green, sometimes wish I had got the long-reach. Otherwise, it's a great jack.

In general I prefer not to get my tools from HF, but their tool boxes/carts and Daytona jacks are awesome.
Rock Auto and Menards seem to be my go-to of late for hand tools.

As for HF, I love their floor jacks, their jack stands, not so much. I ended up getting Esco flat top jack stands, paired with Potauto magnetic pinch weld protectors to replace my hf death traps.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
I have a jack that’s almost exactly the same as that from HF. Gives plenty of lift. However, with my car being lowered, the jack doesn’t reach completely to the front sub frame lift point before hitting the front lip. If it wasn’t lowered, it’d reach fine.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation. As someone relatively new to diy car maintenance, I remember having to take a second trip to HF to get jack oil in order to make the jack work. The user was defective, not the equipment :LOL::LOL:
When I got this jack I went through the simple steps to makes certain the lift cylinder was purged of all air. I think I might have added about 6 drops of jack oil which in reality probably were probably not a necessity but made me feel better. This is definitely a well built quality unit.
Mike

·
Registered
160 Posts
I have a jack that’s almost exactly the same as that from HF. Gives plenty of lift. However, with my car being lowered, the jack doesn’t reach completely to the front sub frame lift point before hitting the front lip. If it wasn’t lowered, it’d reach fine.
My Abarth 124 Spider is "as built" stock height so no issue at all sliding this HF Low Profile jack underneath it. I have seen/read where some with lowered Spiders have to drive their front wheels up onto low pads (as per post above) first in order to get enough clearance to slide a floor jack under the vehicle.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
262 Posts
I have this jack and it’s the one you want. As others have mentioned it’s not only low profile, but also long reach. I use this for trucks and suvs as well as my lowered 124, IS300, an a buddies slammed z3 - it has range. The foot pump on the back is very useful.

The other really nice thing is that if your spider is stock height or a little lower you can slide this jack under one side and jack up the opposite side of the car - awesome in a tight garage. This also has the reach to easily jack up the back or front all at once from the front/rear subframe.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
262 Posts
Now that my car is lowered I pull it onto 12x12 garden pavers to reach the subframe jack points. Still beats going to each corner.

Reactions: SJWhiteley

·
Registered
2018 Abarth 124 Spider, Mare Blue / Nero Abarth Leather, Brembo's, Record Monza, Automatic
307 Posts
Hi Everybody!! Please do not forget to place JACK STANDS under your Spiders ( or any other car you may lift)!!! Remember, a trolley jack can fail and collapse, sometimes without warning. This will leave you pinched under the car and most likely dead! I have seen it happen, the first guy was lucky and spent 6 months in the hospital, never wrenched again, became a preacher ( true story! ), the next guy wasn't as lucky. So please, please make sure you use jackstands, even if you are only going to be under there for a few seconds. Best, s.

·
Registered
18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
687 Posts
Yes, always use jack stands.......and NEVER separate a split rim unless it's in a proper cage. Saw a kid at a truck service plaza lose his head (really, it took his head clean off) doing it without placing the split rim in the cage. 😭

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Now that my car is lowered I pull it onto 12x12 garden pavers to reach the subframe jack points. Still beats going to each corner.
Rep, standard height and the low profile jack works. Lowered, not so much (I’m sure there may be one out there). I built little mini ramps out of 2x8s to drive on to to lift it 3 inches.

Reactions: james.today
1 - 17 of 17 Posts