Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone install one of these yet? I just got one in and it has you drilling into the back of the trunk to screw in some knobs that the net will attach to. Before I drill wanted to see if anyone did it yet and had any advice.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Anyone install one of these yet? I just got one in and it has you drilling into the back of the trunk to screw in some knobs that the net will attach to. Before I drill wanted to see if anyone did it yet and had any advice.
I had the dealer install it for me. I didn't like the idea of drilling into the trunk. The dealer also mentioned the need for a special tool. Not sure what was meant by the special tool comment.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Note that you are enlarging the holes. As I recall, the illustrations were not clear to me at first, but pull out the two trim clips toward the top of the bulkhead/back of trunk on each side. I thought the net would hang down from the top, but it hangs from the side. Anyway, remove the plugs, drill the hole larger (using drill bit size recommended). You do not make a new hole. Then screw in the supplied knobs in place of the trim clips you pop out.

The metal is very thin and soft so it goes easy, but you'd need to use vice grips if you tried to screw in the supplied knobs without drilling and I'm pretty sure you knobs would get mangled in the process!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anyway, remove the plugs, drill the hole larger (using drill bit size recommended). You do not make a new hole. Then screw in the supplied knobs in place of the trim clips you pop out
Ah this sounds a lot better than just drilling in a spot off a diagram. Thanks!

·
Registered
476 Posts
Note that you are enlarging the holes. As I recall, the illustrations were not clear to me at first, but pull out the two trim clips toward the top of the bulkhead/back of trunk on each side. I thought the net would hang down from the top, but it hangs from the side. Anyway, remove the plugs, drill the hole larger (using drill bit size recommended). You do not make a new hole. Then screw in the supplied knobs in place of the trim clips you pop out.

The metal is very thin and soft so it goes easy, but you'd need to use vice grips if you tried to screw in the supplied knobs without drilling and I'm pretty sure you knobs would get mangled in the process!
i hate it when my knobs get mangled

1 - 6 of 6 Posts