Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all - I have a wonderful sounding Abarth with the Monza exhaust. It sounds very alive when the engine is cold - lots of loud cracks of the exhaust. I am wondering whether anyone has had any luck finding a tune that a) won't destroy the engine b) causes the cracks and pops to occur even when the engine is warm?

Note: the cracks and pops will occur in some situations with the warm engine (i.e. hard hill climb) but I'd like them more often.

·
Registered
480 Posts
those cracks and pops are caused by the car running in a rich condition. when it is warming up, the car is running rich. aside from changing the tune to run rich which would equal worse gas mileage and reduced performance, I would suggest fireworks.... light one every time you need to hear a pop. I would recommend against the use of a handgun for the same purpose, as a retired LEO, some of my colleagues would get very upset...

·
Registered
350 Posts
those cracks and pops are caused by the car running in a rich condition. when it is warming up, the car is running rich. aside from changing the tune to run rich which would equal worse gas mileage and reduced performance, I would suggest fireworks.... light one every time you need to hear a pop. I would recommend against the use of a handgun for the same purpose, as a retired LEO, some of my colleagues would get very upset...
Speaking of firearms, where do you keep yours in the car?

·
Registered
868 Posts
Speaking of firearms, where do you keep yours in the car?
All this talk of firearms concerns me. I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, or poke the bear. I have plenty of NRA type friends, I love to shoot skeet. I believe there's a place for everything, and everything in it's place. This firearms topic has come up before, but I don't think this is the forum for it. Just an opinion.

Can you picture the following car show themes: Fiats and Firearms....Spiders and Shotguns.....124s and 45s...Hey, how about a rear windscreen with an Easy Rider shotgun rack?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
All this talk of firearms concerns me. I don't want to stir up a hornet's nest, or poke the bear. I have plenty of NRA type friends, I love to shoot skeet. I believe there's a place for everything, and everything in it's place. This firearms topic has come up before, but I don't think this is the forum for it. Just an opinion.

Can you picture the following car show themes: Fiats and Firearms....Spiders and Shotguns.....124s and 45s...Hey, how about a rear windscreen with an Easy Rider shotgun rack?
It's certainly off topic for the thread. Just my opinion.

·
Super Moderator
1,270 Posts
A good reason not to do this!

This could become an option on our tunes, although I am sort of against it. It's just not efficient.

Greg
There is something to be said for stealth.
Best regards
Pete

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have the full GWR 3 piece system (with resonator) and absolutely love the pops and crackle.
I hear it quite often when coasting downhill but every now and then, if the conditions are just perfect, it lets out a wonderful loud pop on a 3-4 upshift. They are great sounding, but infrequent.

I would like to have more, but I would also like to have more gin and tonics. Doesn't mean I should.

Reactions: jopo and Mike34

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
I have the full GWR 3 piece system (with resonator) and absolutely love the pops and crackle.
I hear it quite often when coasting downhill but every now and then, if the conditions are just perfect, it lets out a wonderful loud pop on a 3-4 upshift. They are great sounding, but infrequent.

I would like to have more, but I would also like to have more gin and tonics. Doesn't mean I should.
Aftermarket exhaust systems let you hear the noises that are already there. There is nothing wrong with that, and it's feature they all have, GWR, Remus, AR Ricambi etc. What's being discussed here is increasing the noise via tuning (actually more like the opposite of tuning )by throwing excess raw fuel into the tail pipe. My comments about being against it are in relation to tuning, not exhaust systems.

Greg

·
Registered
716 Posts

Aftermarket exhaust systems let you hear the noises that are already there. There is nothing wrong with that, and it's feature they all have, GWR, Remus, AR Ricambi etc. What's being discussed here is increasing the noise via tuning (actually more like the opposite of tuning )by throwing excess raw fuel into the tail pipe. My comments about being against it are in relation to tuning, not exhaust systems.

Greg
Wouldn't throwing more fuel into the exhaust lead to cat issues sooner than later? I'm interested in this prospect too since I don't daily my car and thus don't spend a ton on fuel. As long as performance isn't hindered I'd be interested in testing.

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
The GWR on my 124 popped quite a bit, and it did sound cool. The Remus doesn't pop much, but it does have a nice exhaust note (and I think it performs better).

Reactions: Y2HBK

·
Vendor
3,662 Posts
Wouldn't throwing more fuel into the exhaust lead to cat issues sooner than later? I'm interested in this prospect too since I don't daily my car and thus don't spend a ton on fuel. As long as performance isn't hindered I'd be interested in testing.
This is something we discuss all the time at our shop. Specifically the pros and cons of the pops and burbles effect, but more generally, what we want to spend our development time on. My general opinion is that if it doesn't legitimately help performance and functionality, I don't want to do it. However I fully acknowledge that noises and feel contribute a lot to the overall fun factor, which is a big part of the reason we own these cars. The others in my shop also lean towards function over form, but they probably lean back towards form more than I do. Hence things like shift knobs, red intakes and intercooler piping, the whole V2 intake and other things.

The issue with increased pops and burbles via a tune is that it very likely will reduce catalytic converter life, and it will absolutely annoy neighbors, waste fuel, and cause higher emissions. So it's not something that's going to become a standard feature, at least not on our tunes intended for typical use like Phase 1. We may offer it as an option on a future tune, especially if combined with a catless system, but I don't see a good reason to offer it on Phase 1.

Greg

1 - 14 of 14 Posts