Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car and Driver says the auto tranny Lusso will do 0-60 in 6.8 sec. What improvement can we expect with a EC flash tuned version? I know this is just one parameter we look at but it is a commonly used one for comparisons. Thanks.

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I am currently at 5.8 sec 0-60 times...the Phase 1 tune is not quite as aggressive as the Race+ map in the EDL piggyback but I would expect times down in the 6.2 range with only an aftermarket intake included...also mine is an automatic...just remember every car is different and may not perform the same...

·
Registered
958 Posts
I'm also running the EDL with the Race+ tune and recently turned 5.98. (Tires also make a difference, since wheel spin becomes a problem when you are getting near 6 seconds.) I think Pure is correct about the Phase 1 tune not being as aggressive as the EDL race tune, but one of the EC guys can tell you whether that is correct.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
Here go again on 0-60 times. Way too many variables involved to use them as a benchmark. If you are going to do comparisons before/after a tune, at least do a comparison of a 2nd or 3rd gear pull where you take some of the variability out of it. Whole other thread on this anyway.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Good numbers. Here are the stock times for the EU Manuals:

0-100km/h = 6,8s (6,8s factory)
50-150km/h = 11,8s
100-200km/h = 30,5s
400m = 15,1s (151,1km/h)

0-100 = 7,1s (7,5s factory)
50-150km/h = 12,8s
400m = 15,3s (147,3km/h)

0-100km/h = 6,9s (7,3s factory)
50-150km/h = 11,3s
400m = 15,1s (153,5km/h)

0-100km/h = 0-62mph (difference is about 0,2s to 0-60mph)
The EU Abarth should make the 0-60 in about 6.5-6.6s

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
There are an awful lot of variables in a 0-60 run. However at this point, we also have quite a bit of data, and I think we can say with confidence that a modded automatic 124 with the EDL Race tune will do an honest 6.0 under reasonable conditions, meaning somewhere around 70F and say 1000 feet above sea level.

Is EDL Race more powerful than Phase 1? They are darn close. By the numbers, Race has a little more horsepower, but Phase 1 has a little more torque. If I had to bet on a head to head drag race, I would bet on Race, but I don't think it would win every time, and under some conditions Phase 1 might win.

The Race tune has more boost, in fact I think it has more boost than any other option currently on the market. This is sort of a brute force approach to making power, and it works really well. It's also the only way EDL or any other piggy-back currently on the market for the 124 can add power. Phase 1 is much more sophisticated, it changes boost, but also timing, air:fuel ratios and more. It also enhances the throttle and shifting, which a lot of people seem to like. Overall, I think Phase 1 is better, but EDL has its place too.

Greg

·
Retired Moderator
676 Posts
I agree with Greg...overall I believe the tuning option will be the way to go...I have had many tuned cars in the past and have always been quite happy...I am just waiting for the boost level of Phase 2 to catch up with the boost level of the EDL piggyback...then I get the best of both worlds...the tune of the air/fuel mixture...adjustments of the throttle pedal and transmission...and hopefully the boost levels of the EDL with the race+ program...let the fun get even more fun...and the 0-60 mph times will drop even more:D

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I'm looking forward to future parts for supporting Phase 2. After market intercooler and pipes...

·
Registered
958 Posts
Here go again on 0-60 times. Way too many variables involved to use them as a benchmark. If you are going to do comparisons before/after a tune, at least do a comparison of a 2nd or 3rd gear pull where you take some of the variability out of it. Whole other thread on this anyway.
I didn't think that moderators were supposed to discourage discussion. Zero to 60 may be meaningless to you Aussies, but you are in the minority. The auto press, manufacturers and most of the sports car world appreciate a zero to 60 comparison. Yes, as I noted, other factors are involved, like tires, but that does not make 0-60 not a benchmark. G-force is also a benchmark for handling, but it can be improved with any number of variable, tires, alignment, tire pressure, ride height, etc.

Your preference for 2nd or 3rd gear pulls also has many variables. Each model of car has different gear ratios, different rear-end ratios, different power curves. Some have suggested using a 50-80 time as a benchmark, and that is all well and good, except that it is likely to be illegal to most people who do not have access to a private track.

For whatever reason that you want to avoid 0-60 times, give it up. Let the rest of us have fun with it. It is meaningful to those of us who regularly have to stop on the on ramp and wait for the car in front of us to go before we can merge into freeway traffic.

If you want to be a moderator, please act like a moderator.

·
Registered
958 Posts
Also, show me the 2nd or 3rd gear pull data published by manufacturers and auto magazines that I can compare to and we can call that a benchmark.>:)

·
Registered
958 Posts
There are an awful lot of variables in a 0-60 run. However at this point, we also have quite a bit of data, and I think we can say with confidence that a modded automatic 124 with the EDL Race tune will do an honest 6.0 under reasonable conditions, meaning somewhere around 70F and say 1000 feet above sea level.

Is EDL Race more powerful than Phase 1? They are darn close. By the numbers, Race has a little more horsepower, but Phase 1 has a little more torque. If I had to bet on a head to head drag race, I would bet on Race, but I don't think it would win every time, and under some conditions Phase 1 might win.

The Race tune has more boost, in fact I think it has more boost than any other option currently on the market. This is sort of a brute force approach to making power, and it works really well. It's also the only way EDL or any other piggy-back currently on the market for the 124 can add power. Phase 1 is much more sophisticated, it changes boost, but also timing, air:fuel ratios and more. It also enhances the throttle and shifting, which a lot of people seem to like. Overall, I think Phase 1 is better, but EDL has its place too.

Greg
Just for clarification, my 5.98 was done at 55F and 5300 feet above sea level.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I didn't think that moderators were supposed to discourage discussion. Zero to 60 may be meaningless to you Aussies, but you are in the minority. The auto press, manufacturers and most of the sports car world appreciate a zero to 60 comparison. Yes, as I noted, other factors are involved, like tires, but that does not make 0-60 not a benchmark. G-force is also a benchmark for handling, but it can be improved with any number of variable, tires, alignment, tire pressure, ride height, etc.

Your preference for 2nd or 3rd gear pulls also has many variables. Each model of car has different gear ratios, different rear-end ratios, different power curves. Some have suggested using a 50-80 time as a benchmark, and that is all well and good, except that it is likely to be illegal to most people who do not have access to a private track.

For whatever reason that you want to avoid 0-60 times, give it up. Let the rest of us have fun with it. It is meaningful to those of us who regularly have to stop on the on ramp and wait for the car in front of us to go before we can merge into freeway traffic.

If you want to be a moderator, please act like a moderator.
Just giving an opinion. Being a moderator doesn't disentitle me from having an opinion. I think 0-60 times are mostly irrelevant rubbish. My opinion. 50-80 times? A much more reliable measurement, much more "real world" and much less subject to variables. BTW the average Aussie is just as 0-60 (sorry 0-62) fixated as the average American. So "WE Aussies" seem to be on the same page as "YOU Americans".

G-force and handling? Again, the car that generates the highest g-force is not necessarily the best handling car. Not a benchmark for "handling" in my book and it never has been.

Thank you for your sage advice on "being a moderator". I'll take it on board.

·
Vendor
3,124 Posts
That's a good video of the BBR MX-5. I think we will exceed that benchmark soon, time will tell.

Many people in other countries don't care about 0-60. If you drive much in those countries you will soon find out why. They just don't have the same amount of opportunities for stop light grand prix action that we in the US have. For better or worse, in the US it's very common to be at a light with one or two other cars next to you and a relatively clear stretch of road ahead. When the light turns, you can imagine what often happens.

In other countries, especially in western Europe, you have a lot of traffic circles, and when you do have a stop light it's often with only one lane going each way. When there are multiple lanes at a stoplight, it's usually in a situation where the traffic congestion prohibits anything fun. I am sitting in a city in Germany right now and I can assure you there is not a single intersection in this town with a stop light setup like we commonly have in the US with multiple lanes.

So, I understand why performance in a short drag race is meaningless to a lot of people, but to those of us in the US, it's kind of a big deal, which is why nearly every automotive journalist talks about it.

For those of you in Europe, Asia, or Australia, stop light drag performance isn't that important to you. We get that. Please try to understand that it is important to some people from the US.

Greg

·
Registered
126 Posts
Just giving an opinion. Being a moderator doesn't disentitle me from having an opinion. I think 0-60 times are mostly irrelevant rubbish. My opinion. 50-80 times? A much more reliable measurement, much more "real world" and much less subject to variables. BTW the average Aussie is just as 0-60 (sorry 0-62) fixated as the average American. So "WE Aussies" seem to be on the same page as "YOU Americans".

G-force and handling? Again, the car that generates the highest g-force is not necessarily the best handling car. Not a benchmark for "handling" in my book and it never has been.

Thank you for your sage advice on "being a moderator". I'll take it on board.

With all due respect, being a moderator doesn't disentitle you from voicing an opinion, but it does give you the responsibility to encourage, not stifle, thoughtful discussion (even if you don't find personally find it important) and not create a hostile environment.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts