Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
'17 Spider (m), EC V4 intake, Record Monza exhaust, GFB DV+, TS BOV adapter, .023 plugs, PH1 tune
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 2017 Abarth 124 Spider not too long ago and am looking into upgrades. I see the EC phases, but they seem rather pricey. For example - I see mapping elsewhere for half as much. Does anyone have other suggestions for tuning? If so, please explain your suggestion. I'm not too much of a car guy, but I'm getting there

·
Registered
GONE18 Abarth 6MT, all the options, Chipbox and OEM Abarth fender badges. Pedalbooster not installed
768 Posts
I have the Seletron Chipbox in my 2018 Abarth Spider and it's been flawless with a nice increase in the Zoom factor. In my opinion it changed mine into a different car.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I bought a 2017 Abarth 124 Spider not too long ago and am looking into upgrades. I see the EC phases, but they seem rather pricey. For example - I see mapping elsewhere for half as much. Does anyone have other suggestions for tuning? If so, please explain your suggestion. I'm not too much of a car guy, but I'm getting there
I went with MTD. They have the most experience with this engine between virtually any other tuners out there. Very happy so far although a bit slow to resolve minor issues. They cost a lot less than the two main vendors because they don't sell you the hardware to install it yourself. That is (at least partly and to my understanding) what jacks up the prices of the more popular vendors on this forum. My humble suggestion is get any hardware mods you plan on doing done before the tune and don't look for huge peak numbers but rather good linear power delivery and driveability with usable power and torque.

·
Registered
'17 Spider (m), EC V4 intake, Record Monza exhaust, GFB DV+, TS BOV adapter, .023 plugs, PH1 tune
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went with MTD. They have the most experience with this engine between virtually any other tuners out there. Very happy so far although a bit slow to resolve minor issues. They cost a lot less than the two main vendors because they don't sell you the hardware to install it yourself. That is (at least partly and to my understanding) what jacks up the prices of the more popular vendors on this forum. My humble suggestion is get any hardware mods you plan on doing done before the tune and don't look for huge peak numbers but rather good linear power delivery and driveability with usable power and torque.
Thanks! I'll definitely have to check it out. 800 for a tuning kit was absolutely a no-go

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
I second Tork. MTD is also a good one. I’ve had experience with EC before, it’s not the best despite the price. Most people end up with EC because it’s easy to get EC in their search results, which is fine, but if you want the best, dig deeper!

·
857 Posts
Since you are asking, we have found that people are very happy with the Chipbox options. It is about half the cost of a tune and almost the same improvements.

It also offers plug-and-play simplicity and is easily reversible. Can be easily sold without a re-key fee if you choose to go back to stock later on.

Add the PedalBooster and it really livens the car up.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Oh come on Haz, I think EC customers are smart enough to use the internet. I certainly encourage people to dig deeper.

Greg
You are literally in a thread asking what’s out there beside EC. Threads like these wouldn’t exist if everyone already knew everything. Sometimes people just need help finding the right info because there is too much of it to sort through, not to mention tons of advertisement for products that aren’t necessarily the best. It doesn’t mean they don’t know how to use the internet.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Hi Greg, as you may remember, a tune did not work for me. I could see a nice increase in boost pressure, but it was accompanied by drastic timing retardation. The net result was a barely measurable increase in performance. Toby suggested that the issue may have to do with my particular ECU software version.
Question: is it normal to get more than 10 degrees ATDC at 3000 RPM with P1? Second, if my ECU software version is the culprit, would I be happier with a piggyback?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Hi Greg, as you may remember, a tune did not work for me. I could see a nice increase in boost pressure, but it was accompanied by drastic timing retardation. The net result was a barely measurable increase in performance. Toby suggested that the issue may have to do with my particular ECU software version.
Question: is it normal to get more than 10 degrees ATDC at 3000 RPM with P1? Second, if my ECU software version is the culprit, would I be happier with a piggyback?
I had the same experience back when I had P2, and my car was blamed as well. Turns out, the real problem was the tune, because as soon as I flashed a different tune the car ran flawlessly and instantly gained the performance I was looking for. I highly recommend trying that. Like every profession, different tuners have different levels of experience, hate to say this but I don’t know how else to put it. You don’t have to go to a piggyback.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.