Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
1. A mini does not have twin turbos. Starting in 2012 or 2013, the JCW offered a twin scroll turbo single turbo. I have a 2011 Mini Cooper S with a single turbo.

2. I did not feel I needed a turbo blanket until I started tracking in high heat (100F) and melted my spark plug in cylinder 3. Heat soak is a real problem on these engines for making power too.

No paint melted though. That is not a problem as the hood does have heat protection, and there is a stock heat shield. It just is not good enough for extreme use.

·
Registered
2019 Spider 124 Abarth
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
If nothing else, I will say that the turbo blanket definitely shields the engine from a lot of heat. I drove my car two miles and then touched somethings. The steel bracket on top was SUPER hot!!! The turbo blanket was cool enough to leave my hand on. I don't know about performance enhancement, but as far as saving that wire that is nearby, it should definitely do the job.

·
Premium Member
2018 Abarth
111 Posts
At what point would a turbo blanket be required? I’m only going to have phase 1 on for a while and was curious.
I have EC's Phase 1 tune flashed currently. Saving up for GWR's RoadsterSport cat-back, and then EC intercooler, when I'll flash to Phase 2.

I flashed Phase 1 before installing my PTP lava blanket.

On warm days, I found my engine would heat-soak after drives and then parking for a while, and when I'd get back behind the wheel (after lunch or whatever) I'd have boost dumping issues until my engine bay cooled off from having air flow again. After installing my turbo blanket, I have a lot less boost dump issues, as it really makes a noticeable difference in underhood temps.

Turbo seems to spool up in a snap, but not sure how much of that is the tune versus the blanket. Either way, the under-hood temperature reduction was well worth it, especially since I went with a V2 intake instead of a V4 true cold-air intake.

21 - 23 of 23 Posts