Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I found nothing other than second hand on ebay. Add to the list of stuff that just isn't distributed here!

My PTP blanket arrived from EC yesterday as a bday present for myself! Seems like a quality thing.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Eurocompulsion. 2 weeks including customs clearance. I've had intake, tune, plugs from them in the past and always within 2 weeks.

Our customs charges are a joke but hey ho

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts
A long shot........ Any UK owners wanting to sell their turbo blanket before I raise an order from the States ? ?...... we'll it's always worth a try !!!
I'm curious.... and I'm not asking this to stir up a hornet's nest, it's based on my understanding of the products (I own and installed a PTP red blanket). So the question I ask is, should a person actually purchase and install a used turbo blanket? And this is why I ask it. My understanding is that they're really only nice and flexible before they're installed the first time. As they're used, they burn in and "cure" or bake in place around the turbo. That would be the small amount of smoke and smell you get for the first few hours when you install one. After that burn in is complete, I get the feeling that the material would be more stiff or brittle. Maybe, maybe not. Hence why I ask the question...

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Eurocompulsion. 2 weeks including customs clearance. I've had intake, tune, plugs from them in the past and always within 2 weeks.

Our customs charges are a joke but hey ho
Due to lead time and high Customs charges, I decided to source some turbo insulation material here in the UK (approx £50). I'll use a template for dimensions. I'll post picture once fitted........ if successful !!!!

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Oh wow ok. Think you may be first here to do something custom! Interested to see how it turns out !

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Okay.....Have read the Turbo Blanket threads going back to 2017 when the Likes of Shark, Dan and Frank were just young striplings, have googled reviews and watched the videos on PTP and SILA products, studied the complaints as well as they successes and concluded........ Sila Titanium at $149.99 free shipping from 500 Madness for me, customs was charged on my last Madness order so expecting it "Hey Ho" as they say.
PTP has a lot of fans here but I wasn't convinced on some of the feedback to them through reviews, Sila product seems to create a dust and smoke during first few cycles but Dan bought one ! I've gone Titanium because I know titanium from my Aircraft Engineering days and what temperatures it can deal with. I also noted at least one member fitted it over the heat shield ?, one under it? The videos though "all" agree, little if any performance gains, however you get to keep your bonnet paint, harnesses and rubber products many years longer with one than without one as "They Work".
So, though "Brexit Mods" is completed...Thanks Arthur, hope your "cat" is well ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Studies have been done showing quicker spool up. I get the theory from my thermo days in mech Eng lectures, however I've not driven enough since installing mine to see.

BUT no doubt at all that under bonnet temps are way down. After my 15 mile round trip to shops at weekend I made a point of having a check under the bonnet. I was pretty surprised that the airbox was fairly cool to the touch and overall I wasnt hit wit the usual blast of heat!

Well worth it I'd say. I went PTP as I've actually read the opposite that they are preferred to SILA on account of no smoke or smell.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Studies have been done showing quicker spool up. I get the theory from my thermo days in mech Eng lectures, however I've not driven enough since installing mine to see.

BUT no doubt at all that under bonnet temps are way down. After my 15 mile round trip to shops at weekend I made a point of having a check under the bonnet. I was pretty surprised that the airbox was fairly cool to the touch and overall I wasnt hit wit the usual blast of heat!

Well worth it I'd say. I went PTP as I've actually read the opposite that they are preferred to SILA on account of no smoke or smell.
Yes, that smoke/smell thing, as long as I know it will happen on first few cycles, no probs.........I don't think it's a case of us or them, both seem great products and from everything I have read they seem to be well worth the cost. £121.12 against the possibility of damage to my Spiders paint, electrics and rubber products and as you have just said.......pretty surprised that airbox was fairly cool to touch and no usual blast of heat, something that has worried me just doing my spirited 10 mile drive. Those who have not yet plumped for one, I think you can see that the proof of them working is in the reports of those who have them.

·
Premium Member
1,727 Posts

I too have the PTP blanket, and you probably noticed a bit of an odour for a brief period after you first installed yours. I only noticed it for the first hour or two of driving, and after that... nothing.

As far as I understand it (from having read comments provided by those that installed the SILA version), is that both the PTP and SILA are equally good products, but for some reason the SILA generates smoke (vapour) and odour for a longer period for its break-in period. With PTP it's worth noting that they have one version that has a much higher temperature rating. The others are just colour variants of their product that's rated lower on temps. I have the red one (of course), and it's working like a charm.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
I too have the PTP blanket, and you probably noticed a bit of an odour for a brief period after you first installed yours. I only noticed it for the first hour or two of driving, and after that... nothing.

As far as I understand it (from having read comments provided by those that installed the SILA version), is that both the PTP and SILA are equally good products, but for some reason the SILA generates smoke (vapour) and odour for a longer period for its break-in period. With PTP it's worth noting that they have one version that has a much higher temperature rating. The others are just colour variants of their product that's rated lower on temps. I have the red one (of course), and it's working like a charm.
Just been on the 500 Madness site to see what's what with delivery, it seems about two weeks or so, same as my last order of Performance Coil Packs(now selling 4C as well). The SILA standard blankets are of a Silicone/Fiberglass mix, which explain the vapours but the Titanium shield has no mention (or need) for any of that, so I would expect no vapour problems. We used Titanium on the Aircraft, ( no vapour issues) expensive material but Very strong, Durable and Light. I will report back once fitted and tested.....(Covid-19 Lock Down allowing). Be interesting to know who else is using titanium and results....Cheers

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Great conversation we just had about Turbo Blankets in the, What did you do to your Spider section, page 133, led by Arthur (this thread) which irons out (for me anyway) the questions about why fit one, which one and fitting it....Cheers
ron

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
Great conversation we just had about Turbo Blankets in the, What did you do to your Spider section, page 133, led by Arthur (this thread) which irons out (for me anyway) the questions about why fit one, which one and fitting it....Cheers
ron
The SILA Titanium turbo blanket materials are, Outer-Titanium, Inner-Calcium Magnesium, Silicone Wool, plus high temp Silica fabric whereasthe standard blanket from SILA is Silicone/fiberglass.

·
Premium Member
1,577 Posts
The SILA Titanium turbo blanket materials are, Outer-Titanium, Inner-Calcium Magnesium, Silicone Wool, plus high temp Silica fabric whereasthe standard blanket from SILA is Silicone/fiberglass.
Just looked at the PTP equivalent to Titanium.....It's called "Lava" and it's Outer- Pulverised Volcanic Lava Rock formed into fabric, woven into tight mesh weave. Inner-Calcium Magnesium, Silicate Wool overlaid with High Temp stainless steel mesh for durability and improved thermal resistance.
Looking at the photo's of Bob T's engine bay on page 132/3 of What did you do with your 124 today section the fit seems "Perfect". So anyone looking now has all the information from various threads to help them decide.......
Glad I spent some time checking out the contributions going back to 2017 time and Thanks to all. Cheers
ron

·
Registered
138 Posts
Any advice on best UK supplier for 124 turbo blanket ?....... thought I may as well utilise spare time during lock-down !
Don't know if you are still looking into ways of doing this, or have sourced elswhere, but I have found TurboZentrum selling PTP blankets in the UK, £129.58 inc VAT (and a free keyring!) + £7.50 shipping

Their website currently says "Stock : not in stock - Delivery status : will be reordered for you", but when you add to basket it says 2-4 weeks delivery...
I guess they are buying them in from the US, but maybe in bulk with other items, lowering the cost of shipping / customs?
I have not pushed the order button yet, waiting for payday to roll around !

Link here - Fiat 124 Spider Black Turbo Blanket, £ 129.58

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the info. However I decided to purchase a turbo blanket kit from Demon Tweeks in the UK (well established motor sports suppliers). Kit cost ~ £50. As used by all the best rally drivers !!!. There is more info/photos of my installation in a thread somewhere on this forum. Works superbly.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts