Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

81 - 100 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
When cover the turbo with blanket there is advantage for engine area but what about turbo after blanket turbo stay too hot. I mean no cooling is it okey for turbo or reduce the life of turbo?
It's good for the turbo. You want to keep the heat in. It will not reduce the life of the turbo.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There is an argument to made that it's better for the rest of the engine AND the turbo. The inside of the turbo is hot. That's a given and clearly within its design spec. But the outside is much cooler since it is giving off heat to the engine bay. By keeping that heat contained in the turbo, you have (theoretically) less temperature differential from the inside to the outside. And the two should heat up and cool down at more similar rates. This should be good for it in the long run. It's not the temperature that usually life limits hot parts, it's heat cycling them (and how they are heat cycled - ie uniformly or unevenly). I'm no engineer but i am a pilot and have an understanding of cooling hot metal things (like airplane engines) that probably applies to turbos as well (but i also have no knowledge of turbo chargers on cars so take that for what it's worth)...

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
492 Posts
I got my PTP turbo blanket last night and installed it this morning. Piece of cake. I'll let you know if it smells or smokes once I drive it. In the photo, you can see that I have also wrapped the wire going to the O2 sensor, since it is so close to the turbo, and I would rather not have its insulation cooked. This too was a PTP product, sold by the foot, self adhesive.
John, how many of the supplied bolts did you use or not use? ...just curious.

·
Registered
2017, Fiat Spider 124, Abarth
420 Posts
Does retaining heat that would be given off by the turbo do no harm to it? I would think it would be engineered to give off X amount of heat. If the blanket retains the heat instead, what is the impact of that?

·
Registered
957 Posts
John, how many of the supplied bolts did you use or not use? ...just curious.
There are no "supplied" bolts. I attached it with the stock bolts that bolt the shield to the turbo and the bracket to the head.

·
Administrator
1,995 Posts
Does retaining heat that would be given off by the turbo do no harm to it? I would think it would be engineered to give off X amount of heat. If the blanket retains the heat instead, what is the impact of that?
It doesn't cause any harm that I'm aware of. It's not uncommon or turbos to glow under higher stress conditions. The turbo blanket simply keeps all of the energy inside the turbo as opposed to dissipating it as heat. Turbo blankets are a very common upgrade across many platforms, and I've yet to hear of any negative side effects.

·
Registered
492 Posts
There are no "supplied" bolts. I attached it with the stock bolts that bolt the shield to the turbo and the bracket to the head.
Interesting, because mine arrived with three bolts and washers in a sealed packet. I will probably install mine like you did yours'. ;)

·
Registered
957 Posts
Interesting, because mine arrived with three bolts and washers in a sealed packet. I will probably install mine like you did yours'. ;)
My bad. I found the three Allen-head bolts in a separate zip lock bag with the stainless zip ties that I ordered for the down-pipe wrap. I'm thinking they might look better than the stock, hex-head bolts, but the stock bolts are easier to remove/install with a socket than the Allen-head bolts.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts

Reactions: JFernald

·
Registered
957 Posts
Thank you for the picture. :D It just so happens that I have some of those, but still would rather use a hex-head socket, especially since all the rest of the bolts in the engine bay are hex-heads, not Allen-heads.

By the way. The photo shows SAE, not Metric. I am sure you have noticed that this is a metric car.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
I installed my PTP last night. As for the bolts that came with the PTP lava blanket, I used all three, snugged down only. Then when working the blanket a bit into shape I noticed the blanket at the bottom bolt, the tough to reach/work bolt, was still a bit loose. I found the allen head bolt (with the washer) was bottomed in its hole, too long by probably 2-3 threads, easy. So I took out that bolt and replaced it with a factory bolt.

There are no installation instructions from PTP's website or in the box, not that I found. I installed it following XR's turbo blanket installation tutorial in the How-To subforum.

I ran it last night for about 10 miles, and the same this morning. Just a wee touch of a warm odor when I pulled in the garage, sorta plastic-like, less on trip #2, but no smoke and no white residue.

Steve.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Did I screw up? I reinstalled the metal heat shield on top of the blanket.

I am going to take it off.
The blanket replaces the heat shield.

·
Registered
673 Posts
Installed the PTP today. Pretty easy, bottom bolt was a little cranky though. Super careful when I replaced it not to drop it. Easy project goes south fast when you have to lift the car and remove the belly pan to retrieve a part. Not that I have done that ;)

Didn't notice and smell or smoke.

Looking at images the PTP does seem to provide more coverage that other blankets I have seen.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Installed the PTP today. Pretty easy, bottom bolt was a little cranky though. Super careful when I replaced it not to drop it. Easy project goes south fast when you have to lift the car and remove the belly pan to retrieve a part. Not that I have done that ;)

Didn't notice and smell or smoke.

Looking at images the PTP does seem to provide more coverage that other blankets I have seen.
I for sure dropped that bottom bolt twice, LUCKLY they dropped straight through and I picked them off the floor, cleaned the dust off and tried again.

I also had no smoke or smell.

·
Banned
210 Posts
If you want to see something impressive, get a thermal camera and do a before and after of the engine bay. A local Vancouver 500 club member took photo's of various turbo 500's with varying mods after running for a similar time under a similar load. One constant was that turbo blankets really benefited the rest of the engine bay. It's documented on our local 500 forum. I believe an Evolution or STI Forum may have a previous similar thread.

That said, the 124 has a much larger engine bay so it will likely have a lesser impact than in the 500.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I for sure dropped that bottom bolt twice, LUCKLY they dropped straight through and I picked them off the floor, cleaned the dust off and tried again.

I also had no smoke or smell.
Looking at the website for PTP there is no specific 124 blanket. Did you order the 500 blanket?

81 - 100 of 124 Posts