101 - 120 of 124 Posts

·
Registered
673 Posts
Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
492 Posts
So it's possible to put the heat shield on top of the blanket? Seems like that could provide even more of a benefit (to the rest of the engine bay)
Well ...I did it ..maybe by dumb luck. I tucked the blanket, as best that I could, down the side of the turbo so that the heat shield bolt holes could line back up. :|

·
Registered
157 Posts
Looking at the website for PTP there is no specific 124 blanket. Did you order the 500 blanket?
I did not. There is a 124 spider specific blanket, maybe you missed it. Here's a direct link. I know the URL says Fiat 500 all over it, but on the page you will see at the top it is for the 124 spider. And it is a completely different blanket then the 500 or Dodge Dart. Part # FPRO35-103-01

https://www.ptpturboblankets.com/co...-fiat-500-abarth-500t-500l-turbo-blanket-lava

Reactions: Dennis

·
Registered
415 Posts
I would hit up Swan Tech (www.swaintech.com) and see what they can do for a turbo. A blanket keeps the turbo heat in and on the turbo, but heat is stress. Not to mention that some of that heat is going to bleed right back into the intake side, too.
Seems like keeping the heat energy in the exhaust gas is the best solution, both for underhood temps and performance. I used a lot of Swain Tech coatings on my old race car (piston tops and walls, header, etc.), and it was worth every penny.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Got my PTP blanket installed this afternoon. Love it, well worth the wait.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Thank you for the video, that was a huge help!

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I noticed there's a couple of vendors selling the turbo blanket PTP and Maddness. Are they all the same or which one is better I think they all have it at 159.00

what is the Sila concept from Maddness vs PTP blanket. tia

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
So can anyone tell me the diff between the PTP turbo blanket vs the Maddness sila blanket. It's getting a little chilly here.>:)

·
Registered
480 Posts
the sila has an issue of smoking. supposedly some of the insulation is prone to smoking for a while, up to a couple of weeks as the heat cycles through it and it cures. the PTP allegedly does not have this "problem", and will not leave a dusty residue. I have ordered the PTP model but have not received it yet, so I can neither confirm or deny the claims. after popping the hood after running my car, the under hood temps seemed to be really high, so in an effort to prolong the life of the rubber and plastic components, I have opted to order one for myself.

·
Registered
232 Posts
You can put it over the

So it's possible to put the heat shield on top of the blanket? Seems like that could provide even more of a benefit (to the rest of the engine bay)
Heat shield, but be prepared to be taken to the dog house by others members who will question your logic.. I installed the PTP blanket on top of my heat shield, and I can tell you the heat reduction in the engine bay has been significant.,which was my goal.(.not squeezing out some insufficient amount of horsepower, since I'm not a racer.). The reason I know, is that every time I pull into the garage, I open the hood to let it ventilate the heat out.

I believe these turbo blankets, Sila or PTP, do not fully encapsulate the hot side of the turbo. Some underside on the turbo is not covered thus not allowing for the full benefit of a fully covered turbo, which we all know increases efficiency of the unit.

I know that turbo housing units are pretty robust, but I would venture to say that a turbo housing unit that is hot on one side and cooler on the underside COULD lead to metal fatigue, in the very long run. Who knows?? Any thoughts, or discussion??;)

·
Registered
480 Posts
Heat shield, but be prepared to be taken to the dog house by others members who will question your logic.. I installed the PTP blanket on top of my heat shield, and I can tell you the heat reduction in the engine bay has been significant.,which was my goal.(.not squeezing out some insufficient amount of horsepower, since I'm not a racer.). The reason I know, is that every time I pull into the garage, I open the hood to let it ventilate the heat out.

I believe these turbo blankets, Sila or PTP, do not fully encapsulate the hot side of the turbo. Some underside on the turbo is not covered thus not allowing for the full benefit of a fully covered turbo, which we all know increases efficiency of the unit.

I know that turbo housing units are pretty robust, but I would venture to say that a turbo housing unit that is hot on one side and cooler on the underside COULD lead to metal fatigue, in the very long run. Who knows?? Any thoughts, or discussion??;)
it would be my opinion there should be no notable metal fatigue issues, after all cast iron manifolds have been used against aluminum heads for quite a while. in essence the aluminum cylinder head would work as a heat sink providing disproportional cooling to the cast iron manifold. I feel the conductivity of the cast iron would alleviate any problems with hot spots and a potential for cracking associated with thermal distortion. just my $ 0.02

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
the spider turbo blanket covers only the top side of the turbo, then would the t3/t4 blanket be better since it does cover most of the turbo.

but what is the difference between a Sila vs PTP turbo blanket, most of you guys bought both blankets, so is the material different or it's the same. tia

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
Different materials between Sila and PTP. Sila makes two different blankets, one with a silicone and fiberglass outer shell, and a higher end blanket with a titanium outer shell, both have a calcium silicate wool inner liner. PTP makes their outer shell with continuous filament basalt, and a calcium silicate wool inner liner overlaid with a silica fabric. Overall, I prefer PTP's choice of materials and construction. As far as reports of the Sila blankets smoking and emitting a white, powdery residue, it's not clear to me which Sila blanket has had this issue.

I'd love a blanket like PTP's universal T3/T4 item, but I don't know if it would fit our turbo.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
I will email them and ask. thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I installed the PTP blanket on mine and noticed no smoke and maybe a little oder that didn't last long. No data but it does seem much cooler under the hood/bonnet with the blanket then before.

Reactions: sharkcohen

·
Banned
210 Posts
Keeping as much heat out of the engine bay as possible is definitely good. Little turbos get REALLY HOT.

Attachments

101 - 120 of 124 Posts