Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

101 - 120 of 136 Posts

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
My stuffed EC turbo made slightly more power at 5750-6k rpm then it did at 4500 :eek: Then tapered off from 221 wheel @6k to 187 wheel @7k. That’s a 50+ wheel gain to redline from the chart below. Also The car was backfiring and acting up on the dyno ( 2 wheel & we had just flashed it ) it’s even faster now that it’s adapted And all the learning curves are gone . The power to redline is solid
I guess ultimately I'm afraid that U76 issues will continue to hold me back. I know @[email protected] did everything he could to make power for me and finally said he had hit a wall because of U76. I'm afraid that even with a larger turbo the U76 issue will hold back the power. I tried a Tork U76 tune and it was about the same as the EC in terms of power. Maybe a bit less torque and a tad bit more power up top but I can't confirm because I never dynoed it. I have removed it because of instability issues (which may prove not to be tune related).

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm not going to knock anyone's choices. It doesn't matter to me whether you go EC, or Tork, or NGEN, or something else. I just want to see everyone get a big turbo because it's the shit.

It sounds like @klikai got the Speedmotive 1700s and is working with Tork. @klikai, keep us posted on how it is going for you!

No Problem will do
With the orignal tune the power delivery is a little lumpy around 5000-5500 but it does pull strong all the
way to 6750. I will dyno it and post my results asap, you can see the boost holds on to it even around 6500
I am waiting on the revised tune from John

Kind of regret not doing the exhaust manifold at the sametime as turbo

·
Registered
733 Posts
I guess ultimately I'm afraid that U76 issues will continue to hold me back. I know @[email protected] did everything he could to make power for me and finally said he had hit a wall because of U76. I'm afraid that even with a larger turbo the U76 issue will hold back the power. I tried a Tork U76 tune and it was about the same as the EC in terms of power. Maybe a bit less torque and a tad bit more power up top but I can't confirm because I never dynoed it. I have removed it because of instability issues (which may prove not to be tune related).
I wonder if a T-Jet block will cure your U76. The more electronics you get rid of the closer you are to a solution.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
If you go with the stuffed Turbo, you will get a back flash tune to go with it. Greg had said in the past that they cannot develop the U76 for it. They will take care of you if you make the leap!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Is it better to get a EC tune first, then upgrade turbo then revise tune or just equip turbo on stock tune and then get the EC tune?

·
Registered
52 Posts
For those who have been asking, our 11 fin blade option will provide the power of the 1752 without the need for modified lines and adapters. Add our performance manifold with it and you have an upgraded turbo setup that is tough to beat. Oh and by the way, our custom Phase 3 NGEN Map is NOW INCLUDED when you purchase our turbo (must already have Euro+drive).

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Since I have committed to EC. I’m running stuffed turbo and. EC P3 tune. Very happy with performance. I’m sure other tunes will be equally successful. Waiting for @68wooley to get the turbo and Tork tune.

Please Mrs. Woolley loosen the purse strings. 😂

Dan
Did you dyno it yet?

Glad to hear you are satisfied!

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Btw, other than turbo blanket/upgraded intercooler and intake, is there any risk associated with upgrading to a stuffed turbo? Heat or stress wise?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
I wonder if a T-Jet block will cure your U76. The more electronics you get rid of the closer you are to a solution.
I see what Tork is doing and I'm not interested. At least not right now. I hate they gave up on the Multiair platform. I'd just like to figure out why my wastegate wants to blow open and let all my boost go past 4500 rpms.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
For those who have been asking, our 11 fin blade option will provide the power of the 1752 without the need for modified lines and adapters. Add our performance manifold with it and you have an upgraded turbo setup that is tough to beat. Oh and by the way, our custom Phase 3 NGEN Map is NOW INCLUDED when you purchase our turbo (must already have Euro+drive).
I'd love to see a dyno overlay of the two turbos (with the manifold) to get an idea of the drivability and performance differences. You have that, right? 😉

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I'd love to see a dyno overlay of the two turbos (with the manifold) to get an idea of the drivability and performance differences. You have that, right? 😉
Yeah, like, what are the differences and why is it worth getting it along with the turbo upgrade?

·
Registered
733 Posts
I see what Tork is doing and I'm not interested. At least not right now. I hate they gave up on the Multiair platform. I'd just like to figure out why my wastegate wants to blow open and let all my boost go past 4500 rpms.
I don't know if you've thought about this already but maybe you could borrow a professional grade scanner or an OpenFlash tuner so you can see all the hidden stuff that regular OBDs can't? I'm pretty sure there's enough hidden info you can get out of the CANBUS to solve virtually any problem. Either get rid of the electronics or fight it with even more electronics haha.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
Could you tell us how the 11 blade, 6 blade and 1752 all differ in terms of spool, boost threshold and where in the RPM range each is stronger/weaker?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Could you tell us how the 11 blade, 6 blade and 1752 all differ in terms of spool, boost threshold and where in the RPM range each is stronger/weaker?
A better comparison would be if we could have the following information
Compressor Wheel Measurements Inducer / Exducer
Turbine Wheel Measurements Inducer / Exducer
Flow Rate Lbs/Min
As a consumer this is vital information to consider when upgrading turbos

The 1752 will flow better in the top end over the 1446 due to the larger AR on the compressor housing.
Because of this the 1752 is more difficult to fit properly in the 124 and not rub on the hood.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
A better comparison would be if we could have the following information
Compressor Wheel Measurements Inducer / Exducer
Turbine Wheel Measurements Inducer / Exducer
Flow Rate Lbs/Min
As a consumer this is vital information to consider when upgrading turbos

The 1752 will flow better in the top end over the 1442 due to the larger AR on the compressor housing.
Because of this the 1752 is more difficult to fit properly in the 124 and not rub on the hood.
Yeah you're completely right about that. The only information we do know is that the wheels on the EC 1446 are larger than the 1752. I think Greg has said in a post about the EC turbo that it's stronger above 3000rpm than the 1752 and the 1752 is stronger below 3000rpm(when comparing those 2 turbos). Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Then there's the variable of the tune as well, what's the tuner able to do or not do with each turbo.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
Also important to state how differently it performs to stock turbo.

·
Registered
3,070 Posts

·
Registered
957 Posts
Yeah you're completely right about that. The only information we do know is that the wheels on the EC 1446 are larger than the 1752. I think Greg has said in a post about the EC turbo that it's stronger above 3000rpm than the 1752 and the 1752 is stronger below 3000rpm(when comparing those 2 turbos). Correct me if I'm wrong though.
Then there's the variable of the tune as well, what's the tuner able to do or not do with each turbo.
Without knowing actual turbo specs its a shot in the dark as far as performance goes.
Your example is backwards and i would use 5500rpm as the seperator not 3000rpm (not sure who drives at or below 3000rpm that much)
The larger the turbo the higher the boost threshold so the 1752 is going to have mor "Lag" than the 1446 based turbo simply because it is a larger compressor housing and the larger compressor housing is going to flow more efficiently at higher rpm verses the smaller compressor housing on the 1446.
For low rpm performance (anything below 4000) the stock turbo is going to be the best option but it dies off very quickly after 5000rpm.
the next step would be the EC or NGen 6 fin upgraded 1446 which raises the boost threshold a few hundred rpm from stock but holds boost between 5-6000rpm before tapering off.
The 1752 would be next and the NGen 11 fin GTX style should hold boost to redline with the threshold around 3000+rpm.
It all depends on where you want your power at and that is what makes choosing one of these upgrades so difficult is the lack of information the manufacturers are providing.

101 - 120 of 136 Posts