Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,

A few months ago I dumped my perfectly good but too many annoying vacuum line Forge BOV
For a Clean take on the Turbo Smart BOV, which has brought me a lot of headaches.
No boost leak or actual performance issue but keeps triggering CEL for the blow-off valve
After reaching out to turbo smart they sent me out a new valve, which was ok at first but it keeps triggering
an intermittent Control Circuit code for the BOV, then eventually it didn't want to relief any pressure at all
I would recommend stay away from this BOV

I got really tired of clearing it and purchased a GFB DV with Forge BOV Plate and extended bolts.
Car performs without an issue, but now sometimes I'm getting a P02261 very intermittently. Like once in a blue moon after a few days

I did some research on the forum and found the P02261 was caused by the higher spring rate in the solenoid
I still have the shorter stock springs, should I switch it out? Does anyone have similar issues?
However, the P02261 is a soft code, when this soft code appears it goes into limp mode and turns off cruise control
I can pull it up by a scan tool

What annoys me is most of the time the car holds boost fine, just triggers a code on partial throttle
Should I return the DFV back to the OEM springs?

See if anyone has similar issues.

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
Did you oil the brass piston?

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Hi, yes as "Sharkcohen" says and we are talking VERY LIGHT OIL, as in sewing machine thin oil..never read of a fault code through GFB DV+ before and that bigger spring along with the brass piston is what the operation of the valve is all about...gradual opening as you open the throttle, whereas the OEM is either open or closed, hence lag whilst it makes it's mind up about opening. Why not try...rag under dismantle and, light oil and refit, few minute job but may just cure that niggling fault. Cheers
ron

Reactions: SteveP.

·
Registered
385 Posts
From the Installation Instructions (my bold):-

"The DV+ can be configured in two different ways, depending on your desired outcome. Fitting the DV+ with the main spring installed as shown on the previous page can be thought of as a “Sport” mode, offering the best possible throttle response and boost recovery during on/off throttle applications (i.e. during gearshift with a manual transmission). Using the main spring means the DV+ can open and close progressively in response to how much boost pressure is present, unlike the factory diverter which just opens fully regardless of whether there is boost to vent or not. Because this operation method is different from the factory diverter, it is not unusual or detrimental to hear a different sound from the intake when lifting off the throttle at low RPM, especially if you have an aftermarket intake or a larger turbo installed. Additionally, in some cases this different operating method may be mis-interpreted by the ECU as a faulty diverter valve (it simply sees the diverter doing something different, it doesn’t know the diverter is actually attempting to improve throttle response), resulting in fault code P2261 being recorded. This does not indicate that the DV+ is faulty, nor does it cause any issues to the turbo or engine. If the fault code or different sound occurs and you want to prevent it, or you simply want a direct replacement for the factory diverter that is stronger, holds boost better, and lasts longer, you can choose to install the DV+ WITHOUT the main spring behind the piston. This configuration can be thought of as an improved “Standard” mode, which behaves just like the factory diverter, but with the added benefits of better boost-holding, strength, and reliability."

·
Registered
432 Posts
I have ran the normal GFB and now the Turbosmart dual-port. I really like the Turbosmart and it has given me zero problems. I don’t have a tune yet, though.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
From the Installation Instructions (my bold):-

"The DV+ can be configured in two different ways, depending on your desired outcome. Fitting the DV+ with the main spring installed as shown on the previous page can be thought of as a “Sport” mode, offering the best possible throttle response and boost recovery during on/off throttle applications (i.e. during gearshift with a manual transmission). Using the main spring means the DV+ can open and close progressively in response to how much boost pressure is present, unlike the factory diverter which just opens fully regardless of whether there is boost to vent or not. Because this operation method is different from the factory diverter, it is not unusual or detrimental to hear a different sound from the intake when lifting off the throttle at low RPM, especially if you have an aftermarket intake or a larger turbo installed. Additionally, in some cases this different operating method may be mis-interpreted by the ECU as a faulty diverter valve (it simply sees the diverter doing something different, it doesn’t know the diverter is actually attempting to improve throttle response), resulting in fault code P2261 being recorded. This does not indicate that the DV+ is faulty, nor does it cause any issues to the turbo or engine. If the fault code or different sound occurs and you want to prevent it, or you simply want a direct replacement for the factory diverter that is stronger, holds boost better, and lasts longer, you can choose to install the DV+ WITHOUT the main spring behind the piston. This configuration can be thought of as an improved “Standard” mode, which behaves just like the factory diverter, but with the added benefits of better boost-holding, strength, and reliability."
So basically I'll push the piston in without the spring ??

·
Registered
2017 Spider Abarth AT
531 Posts
I’ve been running the DV+ for a couple of years now with a stock tune. I used both replacement springs that came with the unit. I also lubricated the piston by running my finger around the brass piston to apply a light coating of motor oil. I haven’t had any problems with it.

I do recall a poster here who had a problem with his DV+.Turned out that there was a tiny particle of dirt in the piston housing that he didn’t notice when he first installed it. Seems that tiny bit of dirt was interfering with the proper operation of the piston. Once he cleaned it out, the valve worked as advertised.

I installed my DV+ for two reasons

1. The construction quality of the DV+ is better than the mass-produced stock unit. That became evident once I removed the stock diverter and compared it with the DV+.

2. I liked the idea of the progressive operation of the DV+ compared to the on-off mechanism of the stock unit. But to get that progressive operation it required the replacement of the stock springs.

Not saying that this is a problem for the OP, but it is indicative of seemingly insignificant things causing problems with a fairly simple installation.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
385 Posts
So basically I'll push the piston in without the spring ??
I guess so, but maybe see if it happens on a regular basis and where it happens. Perhaps the code is thrown on a part of your driving cycle that may occur from time to time. I'm no expert, just trying to use logic considering the advice. There's a nice picture in the attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Update: As per GFB instructions I have removed the main spring, no CEL so far, it has been 2 days.
Before the removal, the CEL will literally come on every drive with in 10 min

1 - 12 of 12 Posts