Registered
363 Posts
Trade for a CT4-V?

j/k

·
Registered
2015 Fiat 500 Abarth -and- 2015 Fiat 500 Turbo
25 Posts
I’m not sure there is room to get a bolt into the one I’ve circled. Some “red” Loctite for installing new studs into the turbo flange, and anti seize on the nuts (so they don’t get stuck on the studs) might be the best solution.

View attachment 83287
So, THAT particular nut you've circled I had fall off on my 500 Abarth. Completely missing. I managed to replace it in situ, but left the stud. The studs had been replaced less than 5000 miles earlier while the engine was out. I wasn't about to pull the entire turbo (which is pretty difficult on the 500 Abarth) for one gd nut.

So .... over several days of cursing, use of "creative" strategies, I managed to get it on. Managed to use a piece of thin wire wrapped in a spiral around the nut to hang the nut down and slide it over the stud from above. Then applied pressure from the side with the tip of a flat screwdriver upward on the nut as I pulled the wire upward to unspiral it thus spinning the nut onto the bolt. Then I took a crow's foot socket to tighten it. The crow's foot was too large to fit in the space, so I took a grinder to the edges of the crow's foot socket until it was thin as possible on both sides without breaking when I applied torque. Managed to tighten it down about 1/16th of a turn at a time that way and finally was able to torque it "somehow" at the end. It's stayed on for the last 5,000 miles so I consider it a success.

Removing the entire front of the car and doing it the "right way" might actually have been easier.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I don't think loctite will do anything but lube the threads given the temperatures in this area.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This time it had threadlocker and is the third time it has fallen out. There are 4 studs/nuts in total that are on the bottom of the turbo.

Each nut is friggin $14! You can’t even buy the stud standalone. @Calehedron @sharkcohen , have you noticed anything special or different about these studs?

Please help me out with your vast hands-on knowledge.
Use copper anti sieze on the threads. The anti sieze will smoke for a few minutes then crystallize. No more issues.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I googled and it seems that nickel is actually better than copper with heat, so got permatex nickel anti seize

·
Registered
592 Posts
Lol. Not fun......I'm going to try bolt route. Yes Greg entire stud comes out

Attachments

·
Vendor
3,626 Posts
I checked the studs on all three of the 1.4s that are here, none are loose or have fallen out. I was not able to talk to Bryan, but I did talk about it with some of my people here, and everyone has the same question.

How are you guys tightening the studs?

Greg

·
Registered
592 Posts
well, the studs don't have a hex end or star end of any kind to "tighten". can't remember but thought they came in the 1446+ and weren't transferred. suppose you could run a nut down to the shoulder and "tighten" but with the risk of "untighten/loosen" when you break that nut free from the shoulder and remove it. How are you tightening the stud?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Pic of hardware along with the bolt and nut I received from g pop as a replacement option.

just realized bolt and nut provided are a no go together. will try bolt from bottom into thread. supplied bolt is same dia as stud so won't clear threads

Attachments

·
Registered
592 Posts
Success. Hand start the bolt from bottom, with a lock washer on the head. Tricky. Use a towel underneath because if u are like me you will drop several times. Once hand started free turn about halfway, then go to open end wrench first. About 1/64 turn is all you will get. Then go closed end ratchet, taking care because the toggle will activate on the housing and you will go backards.....patience and snug.... But may not work on the other three locations

Attachments

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I checked the studs on all three of the 1.4s that are here, none are loose or have fallen out. I was not able to talk to Bryan, but I did talk about it with some of my people here, and everyone has the same question.

How are you guys tightening the studs?

Greg
Do they have stuffed turbos and performance manifolds? @Greg

·
Registered
3,839 Posts

·
Vendor
3,626 Posts
Do they have stuffed turbos and performance manifolds? @Greg
Two of them do, the other, which is my 500L has the stock turbo with over 120,000 miles on it. The two cars with the upgraded turbos are my 124 and Brandon's 500 Abarth. I put the turbos on both.

Greg

21 - 40 of 104 Posts