Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I heard a whistling sound from the engine bay for 3-4 miles until the engine warmed up. The car had been sitting for three days and the weather has been especially chilly, even in my garage. Could this be the turbo? I haven't owned a car with a turbo before and was wondering if such a noise is a normal characteristic in colder temperatures.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
How much throttle are you giving it when this happens? Where is the temperature gauge?

Greg

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much throttle are you giving it when this happens? Where is the temperature gauge?

Greg
Average throttle because I take it easy until the blue thermostat light goes out. Temp was cold because I hadn't driven the car in three days. Once Temp got up to 200 it sounded fine.

·
Vendor
3,099 Posts
Probably just an anomaly from a very specific air density vs. throttle position. As long as there are no leaks in the piping I wouldn't worry about it. Visually look at the intake to make sure nothing is torn or disconnected. It's hard to see the intercooler piping, but if that was leaking enough to make noise it would slow down your turbo spool up time which you would probably notice.

Greg

·
Banned
425 Posts
Today I heard a whistling sound from the engine bay for 3-4 miles until the engine warmed up. The car had been sitting for three days and the weather has been especially chilly, even in my garage. Could this be the turbo? I haven't owned a car with a turbo before and was wondering if such a noise is a normal characteristic in colder temperatures.
You are in Longbeach. What did it get down to? 50?

·
Registered
79 Posts
You can pretty much only hear the turbo with the top down and you listen very carefully, and know what to listen for. I've noticed it isnt always consistent either, sometimes I just dont hear it under partial load. I suspect this may be Multi-Air doing its job without needing to push the turbo much, but even that doesnt make complete sense to me.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
You are in Longbeach. What did it get down to? 50?
I'm a Southern California native. When it's 50 I wear fur.

The car is sounding normal again now that I'm driving it regularly. Thanks for your input everyone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts