Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading this forum for almost two years now and have enjoyed reading the comments, insights and camaraderie from everyone here. However, it has become abundantly clear to me that when it comes to mods, tweaks and improvements I am in utterly over my head.
Let me preface the following questions by saying that yesterday I inadvertently punched myself in the face trying to fix the ice maker in our refrigerator and was hit in the head by a falling chandelier I was attempting to repair. You may draw your own conclusions of my mechanical abilities.

There are 3 mods/tweaks I would like to make to my Classica:
1. Ameridan’s Infotainment Tweaks;
2. In the alternative, a CarPlay upgrade;
3. A muffler/exhaust replacement that is throatier than the stock muffler, but not so much that the neighbors call the local police.

Given the above description of my mechanical abilities, is there any chance I can accomplish (without destroying the car I love) any of the above? If not, is there any chance I could find a local mechanic who could assist me and actually have a decent chance of properly making these upgrades.

Finally, if the answer to 1 or 2 is “yes”, what muffler would you recommend? I was thinking Record Monza, but it sounds like that may be hard to come by.

Thank you to anyone with advice or guidance!

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spyder-Red Top
17 Posts
I’ve been reading this forum for almost two years now and have enjoyed reading the comments, insights and camaraderie from everyone here. However, it has become abundantly clear to me that when it comes to mods, tweaks and improvements I am in utterly over my head.
Let me preface the following questions by saying that yesterday I inadvertently punched myself in the face trying to fix the ice maker in our refrigerator and was hit in the head by a falling chandelier I was attempting to repair. You may draw your own conclusions of my mechanical abilities.

There are 3 mods/tweaks I would like to make to my Classica:
1. Ameridan’s Infotainment Tweaks;
2. In the alternative, a CarPlay upgrade;
3. A muffler/exhaust replacement that is throatier than the stock muffler, but not so much that the neighbors call the local police.

Given the above description of my mechanical abilities, is there any chance I can accomplish (without destroying the car I love) any of the above? If not, is there any chance I could find a local mechanic who could assist me and actually have a decent chance of properly making these upgrades.

Finally, if the answer to 1 or 2 is “yes”, what muffler would you recommend? I was thinking Record Monza, but it sounds like that may be hard to come by.

Thank you to anyone with advice or guidance!
I just ordered the Auto Ricambi for the quad tips, direct replacement for the Lusso/Classica and burble, lol

·
Registered
332 Posts
The axleback are a snap. Soap the hangers, undo two nuts and it’s off. Reverse to reinstall. I’ve got the AR unit and had it on in about 15 minutes, and that with an old man (me😏) crawling underneath the car a couple of times. Can’t help you with the audio. I had a local shop install a Sirius receiver that plays through the cars system. Works great. Car is a 17 Classica with Tech and a stick.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks @Oldbear and @black cherry! Just checked out the AR exhaust and it looks perfect for me. Decent sound, but not too much, quad tips and a decent price point. There was even an instructional video. Now I’ve got to figure out if I can do Ameridan’s tweets. I think I’m a guy who could totally screw up the car electronics....:eek::ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
The longest part of the exhaust install is getting the tips sitting equal in the bumper cutouts. Due to the force put on the AxleBack by the flange, you may need to spend some time tweaking to get everything straight. This entirely depends on your car and exhaust and how much you care.

The Ragazzon unit I had had adjustable everything, whereas many non silenced AxleBacks are solid pieces

But yes, the actual install is easy!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks @boddle88! I was going to do the infotainment tweets first, but I think now I may try the exhaust. The “how to” video posted on the Auto Ricambi site was encouraging....I’m still hesitant to do anything with the infotainment because (1) it involves interacting with the firmware and (2) the CarPlay option seems to involve wiring....

·
Registered
2019 Fiat 124 Spider Lusso
128 Posts
Axle-backs aren't a difficult job and can easily be done with a set of ramps in your driveway. My first time doing it I remember questioning the level of ease, but it went fine and I've done several since. Like others have said, just take your time to line it all up nice and pretty.

·
Registered
2018 Fiat 124 Spyder-Red Top
17 Posts
Thanks @Oldbear and @black cherry! Just checked out the AR exhaust and it looks perfect for me. Decent sound, but not too much, quad tips and a decent price point. There was even an instructional video. Now I’ve got to figure out if I can do Ameridan’s tweets. I think I’m a guy who could totally screw up the car electronics....:eek::ROFLMAO:
I have ordered the AR product and exhaust hanger removal pliers, both have shipped.

·
Super Moderator
791 Posts
Thanks @boddle88! I was going to do the infotainment tweets first, but I think now I may try the exhaust. The “how to” video posted on the Auto Ricambi site was encouraging....I’m still hesitant to do anything with the infotainment because (1) it involves interacting with the firmware and (2) the CarPlay option seems to involve wiring....
I did a three-video series that walks you through step by step that may help you with the tweaks:

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
So, here is my update...just finished installing @ameridan ’s tweaks with the help of @BillaVista ’s videos! It went super smoothly. I was pretty conservative and left my background the same, shortened the warning at startup, installed compass, speedometer and scrolling options. I tried screen cast but found it doesn’t really work with iPhones (at least that I can tell). It was super easy and it works beautifully. Thanks @ameridan and thanks @BillaVista !
Next up, installation of the Autoricambi resonates exhaust. That may have to wait for fall though!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thank you.
Made my donation, just finished the install and all went well. Very easy.
So the speedometer option. The big old thing, with built in compass, elevation and all that.

The compass part appears to be locked up. I am always driving North, on the big dial, and WSW in the small compass at the top of the screen. Restarting the car has no effect. It has been locked for several days. The speedo/tach/etc, are fine.

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
I think you'll eventually determine that the Speedo tweak really doesn't work very reliably, most particularly the compass part. The rest seems to be fine, and I did like the right hand detailed info panel. But ulitmately, I uninstalled it and put in the Mazda Speedo tweak version, and it too I have now removed.

One tweak I will highly recommend, especially if you use the nav system and do any amount of Interstate or freeway driving.... is the ability to operate the touchscreen while the vehicle is in motion. With the nav on, as you drive along a major highway, there will be a right hand side column appear which lists the upcoming exits in order of proximity, along with what services are available if you take them. So if you need to do a fuel stop, you can tap on the exit you wish to take, click on the service station you want to use, and add it as an intermediary waypoint. Quick. Easy. Super useful.

Congratulations on your efforts to date, but be warned... modding can be addictive... :)

Reactions: Bob T

·
Registered
323 Posts
Thanks. Did the touch screen, and most of the recommended tweaks, but the compass is the only one bothering me.
Wish it worked, because I like it when it does.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks. Did the touch screen, and most of the recommended tweaks, but the compass is the only one bothering me.
Wish it worked, because I like it when it does.

Ditto! Works for me about 50% of the time. I like all the other tweaks! As someone said on another strand, I like the Nav system. Hope there are map updates soon. I’m starting to wonder if FIAT’s just going to give up on updating it. Hope I’m wrong....

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
I was driving the other day when a text came through the infotainment system, and was totally surprised when I was able to play it as I was driving. My Ram truck won't let you unless in park. I have Ameridan's excellent tweaks and this may be one of them. It's been so long I forgot what's what.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts