Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Classica AT | EC P2 | V4 Intake | Forge BOV | aFe Axleback | Vaitrix Gauge | 51R | Bilstein / FM
105 Posts
Just a word of caution. I purchased an exhaust manifold “header” from CX RACING and it continually broke at the welds. I wish you best of luck but you really get what you pay for. I hope in your situation your saving due to having to fabricate brackets and nothing else. All else the same I love your out of the box thinking and making your own system. I will likely experiment with a different style turbo once I find a replacement to my late Abarth. Thanks again for providing yet another option.
If reliability is a concern, the Treadstone TR6 or TR8 appear to be about the same size and Treadstone is the brand used by Tork for their kit, and they're both under $300. Caveat is figuring out alternate mounting since there's no top-mount screw locations by default, like with this CX model.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Just a word of caution. I purchased an exhaust manifold “header” from CX RACING and it continually broke at the welds. I wish you best of luck but you really get what you pay for. I hope in your situation your saving due to having to fabricate brackets and nothing else. All else the same I love your out of the box thinking and making your own system. I will likely experiment with a different style turbo once I find a replacement to my late Abarth. Thanks again for providing yet another option.
Understood, But this isn't a manfold and the Mustang forum has lots of CXR inter-cooler reviews all pushing over 400 HP and everyone there is happy with them.
Its got a year warranty and if it fails before then I will return it and spend a bit more. I'll let everyone know if it fails, I don't have a problem with that.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Just a bit of follow up after the install. Took a nice long drive, revving the engine to keep up the boost. Wanted to see if anything 'popped'. Fortunately everything seems to be fine.

While I doubt the larger inter-cooler itself added any power, replacing the crap factory parts certainly did. In removing the old parts I discovered the three bolts on the outlet side of the factory inter-cooler were stripped. FYI, only 14K on the car. Not sure it was leaking but pretty sure it was. When I tried to remove the bolts the studs just spun. Luckily I was able to remove the factory inter-cooler without removing the end pieces.

And while I'm not positive the studs were causing a leak, it was definitely leaking at the first hose fitting on the passenger side. Look at the picture below and note the passenger side hose has a aftermarket clamp and the driver side has the original fitting.

Check out the video below to see why I felt I had to replace it. There is no way this was airtight. I crawled around under the car and checked the rest of the fittings and did not find any others that wobbled loosely like this one. I cut the metal part off the end of the hose. I then removed the fitting from the car and used a Dremel tool to grind some plastic off so I could mount the rubber hose nice and snug with a hose clamp.
I have a boost gauge and the car does seem to build boost faster than before. Or it may just be a placebo effect. ;)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
Dang, that mounting is a lot less involved or difficult than I anticipated. I may end up going this route too.

EDIT: I'm curious to see temps with Phase 2, if that's something you're planning to check / share.
I thought about buying a dual temperature sensor gauge to measure intake and output air temps. I thought I would measure temps with the factory and then the aftermarket.
But in the end I decided I didn't want to spend close to $200 additional bucks. The goal was to save money.
Now if someone wants to buy the gauge, sensors and fittings for me, then sure!

·
Registered
Classica AT | EC P2 | V4 Intake | Forge BOV | aFe Axleback | Vaitrix Gauge | 51R | Bilstein / FM
105 Posts
Done! See top of post.
View attachment 82845
Do you by chance have any more information on the bottom mounting? You mentioned attaching it to your front fascia, did you just drill a hole somewhere along the bracket (and I'm assuming the bracket was another Home Depot purchase like the top one)? Looking to start buying parts for this soon and want to make sure I have everything ready and not have to run back and forth to the hardware store.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
Do you by chance have any more information on the bottom mounting? You mentioned attaching it to your front fascia, did you just drill a hole somewhere along the bracket (and I'm assuming the bracket was another Home Depot purchase like the top one)? Looking to start buying parts for this soon and want to make sure I have everything ready and not have to run back and forth to the hardware store.
Use these:
1-1/4 in. x 18 in. G90 20-Gauge Strap Tie
$1.60 each at Home Depot.
Easy enough to drill with an electric drill or cut with a jigsaw.
On the Abarth there are pre-drilled holes along the bottom of the steel front bumper support (circled in yellow below) Not sure about other models.

If you look at the circled brace you can see three holes in the center and one on each side.
Use the holes on the left and right to mount the bottom stabilizing strap using a 1/2 inch long machine screw, nut, and a couple of washers.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
154 Posts
Two Questions:

1. Is there room for bigger?
2. Is there any reason for bigger?

Hot climate. Coastal SE Texas. Have a thing for cooling.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Two Questions:
Not without custom fabrication

If the intercooler is too small you will get heat soak. if the intercooler is too big you will have slow turbo spooling
Visit this site if you want more info on turbos and intercoolers

Please note my forum name. I'm in Texas.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
154 Posts
Not without custom fabrication

If the intercooler is too small you will get heat soak. if the intercooler is too big you will have slow turbo spooling
Visit this site if you want more info on turbos and intercoolers

Please note my forum name. I'm in Texas.
Thanks! It just looked like the was extra space, but I will definitely trust your experience. Looking to do the same myself. I have had the long silicon hoses burst twice on my 500 Abarth so I'm not convinced I need them on the 124 if the stock joints hold up, considering the price of the EC kit. Maybe in the future if the stock joints let go. And since the Tork kit is basically identical to what you've made here I don't see a reason to spend what it costs either. So I'll likely install the TX_Bandit intercooler the same way you have it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Just wanted to chime in that I followed @TX_Bandit 's guide pretty much exactly, albeit with a cheaper / smaller intercooler (still bigger than stock / basically the same size and dimensions of the Tork Treadstone intercooler), and it worked well! Did ten consecutive pulls and held ~26psi on phase 2 with no issues; I can't comment as to temps but it seems to be working fine and I'll deal with any issues as they come up. I'll definitely reiterate that getting the stock hose on the driver side over the coupler was a real pain and took a big portion of the time spent on this install.

I also opted to take the grill out, and I removed the horn bracket completely and mounted it over the back of a screw post (with a nut to hold it) on the passenger side and it still works / sounds well without whatever the sensor or other wire it was on the bracket (which I tucked out of the way).

(don't mind the multitude of holes in the middle of the bumper, the dealer really butchered the front license plate bracket install and I haven't gotten around to figuring out a proper fix)

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 · (Edited)
Just wanted to chime in that I followed @TX_Bandit 's guide pretty much exactly, albeit with a cheaper / smaller intercooler (still bigger than stock / basically the same size and dimensions of the Tork Treadstone intercooler), and it worked well!
Glad it worked for you! Agreed, getting the coupler into the driver's side inter-cooler hose is the only frustrating part of the installation.
Just keep trying and eventually it will go in.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Glad it worked for you! Agreed, getting the coupler into the driver's side inter-cooler hose is the only frustrating part of the installation.
Just keep trying and eventually it will go in.
After getting fed up under the car I ended up pulling the hose upstream, taking it inside, running it under warm water and inserting the coupler. Highly recommend taking this step much earlier than I did, as no amount of oil/lube was making it any easier.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 · (Edited)
After getting fed up under the car I ended up pulling the hose upstream, taking it inside, running it under warm water and inserting the coupler. Highly recommend taking this step much earlier than I did, as no amount of oil/lube was making it any easier.
Thanks for the feedback! I used a heat gun to the same effect. I went back into the directions and changed the font to bold so it is seen as a step and not a suggestion.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
154 Posts
Do you have a link where you bought the 2"x6" intercooler tubing? You'd think that would be easy to find but all I can seem to find are universal kits that have assorted sizes for way too much, not the specific sizes needed here.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
Do you have a link where you bought the 2"x6" intercooler tubing? You'd think that would be easy to find but all I can seem to find are universal kits that have assorted sizes for way too much, not the specific sizes needed here.
All the parts are listed in the third post in the thread and are available from Amazon. Use the search feature in Amazon to find the part using the description name in that post. If it doesn't come up then it is out of stock and you will need to source it elsewhere. Any aluminum 2x6 turbo piping will work.

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
154 Posts
All the parts are listed in the third post in the thread and are available from Amazon. Use the search feature in Amazon to find the part using the description name in that post. If it doesn't come up then it is out of stock and you will need to source it elsewhere. Any aluminum 2x6 turbo piping will work.
EDIT: I was using keywords from the 1st post, didn't see at the bottom of the 4th post where you had search terms. I did learn trying to find them that they are often called "joiner pipe" and that found a lot more results. But I prefer the one you linked.

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
EDIT: I was using keywords from the 1st post, didn't see at the bottom of the 4th post where you had search terms. I did learn trying to find them that they are often called "joiner pipe" and that found a lot more results. But I prefer the one you linked.
I went ahead and updated the 4th post and added links to all the parts on Amazon which should make it easier for everyone to locate the parts..

21 - 38 of 38 Posts