Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
41 - 46 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
347 Posts
It's really not a difficult installation. The only difficulty you may have is fitting the joiner pipe into the factory intercooler hose on the driver's side as you may need to heat it and stretch it to get the coupler to slide in. The rest is pretty much plug and play. Having a friend to help will make the installation easier, but FYI, I did it by my self and I'm retirement age.
I've done much bigger jobs, replaced both engine & trans at different times) in my 500 Abarth... my main challenge is having a place to work as I live in an apartment. The garage I normally borrow is occupied as my friend got a roommate who uses it. So I will likely have to hit up a friend 100 miles away in katy for floor space if I don't want to do it in the parking lot here, which doesn't sound like a good idea due to so much rain lately in this part of the state.

Just test fit what I have, and bugger those clamps are tight on the silicon elbow. But I think it'll do.

·
Registered
2019 124 Spider Abarth
342 Posts
I did this over the weekend and it was pretty straight forward - the pictures and parts list were awesome.

Getting the stock intercooler out was pretty simple - ended up just winging it. I didn’t slot the bracket - just used holes vs slotting but did end up removing the front lower grill to gain access to the intercooler top bolts.

I didn’t get the “difficult side” coupler clamp tight enough and it blew off under boost. Good news though, the car runs fine and was able to drive home (1/3 mile) in non-sport mode. I just kept the rpm’s low and the car out of boost. This is quite a different experience from blowing a boost tube on a TDI or turbo gas VW/Audi.

Overall I’m loving the upgrade. I’m pretty sure my factory intercooler was leaking as I’m now getting better MPG and the power delivery is smoother / more linear with less time to re-spool in between shifts.
Automotive parking light Grille Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting

Reactions: wolf18t

·
Registered
2017 Fiat 124 ABARTH
966 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Thanks for the post. I'm glad my tips worked for you. (y)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'm about to embark on this project. The CX racing intercooler in that size however is now 300$!! So, i went with a 550x200x65mm (700mm wide outside) intercooler which is same size as stock actually but im not running a tune at the moment and from the look of it it actually accomplishes my goals of:

1. Get rid of stupid plastic flange intercooler connection, which im pretty sure leaks on mine.

2. Make room for the oil cooler mod i am working on.

3. Probably heresay but the design of the intercooler looks like it would pass air better anyway than the stock.

41 - 46 of 46 Posts