Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The latest UK Car Registrations up to and including Q2 2017 have just been released by DVLA - these show the number of registrations for all makes & models.

After combing through the figures and adding up the results, I have a slightly startling conclusion ... but first, the figures:

In the UK the Fiat 124 went on sale in Sept 2016.

The following figures cover the period to the end of Q2 2017 - up to & including June 2017 - so these are the figures for the 9-10 months that the 124 has been on sale:

Anniversary Edition: 120
Classica: 66
Lusso+: 441
Lusso+ Auto: 24
Lusso: 416

TOTAL 1067

There was an (expected) burst of selling when the 124 first went on sale - but are they still selling?

Break down the figures, and during the first 6 months of 2017 registrations increased by 390 cars - so yes, sales still look strong to me - my maths is not brilliant but I think this averages over 2 cars per day during the first 6 months of 2017.

The 124 Abarth?
309 manual + 72 Autos = 381

(Am I the only one a bit surprised by those 72 Automatics? Perhaps they are registered, but still sitting on dealer forecourts?)

That brings the total (124 + Abarth) to 1448 in 9/10 months.

My personal opinion is that 1448 car registrations in less than one year are pretty strong sales figures.

(To try and put this in perspective, I read recently that when the MX-5 was first introduced, it took 10 years to hit the 10,000 mark).

I expect that by now you are wondering what the equivalent MX-5 figures are (latest model).

Well, it's a bit tricky to compare, as the MX-5 (ND) has been on sale much longer, but if we narrow it down to just the 2017 figures (first 6 months), and exclude the hardtop RF model, I added up the 4 models on sale to:

Mazda MX-5 (all 4 models) 15+400+130+2 = 547,

compared with:

390 (Fiat 124s)
+
190 (Abarth 124s)
= 580

Yep, that's correct - if we look at 2017 registrations alone, the 124 is outselling the MX-5 by 580 to 547.

This stunned me so much that I'm going to ask if anybody would like to double-check the DVLA figures and my interpretations of them - they can be found at:

www.howmanyleft.co.uk

(The figures are published one quarter in arrears, so the figures just released go up to end of Q2 2017).

Thanks in advance!

NB - all the figures show the number of cars registered with the DVLA - it's likely some dealers will be holding pre-registered cars, but I think the figures can be said to reflect sales with reasonable accuracy.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Would not surprise me. Miata is an awesome car but Men of certain discriminating taste and biases simply could not buy one (that would be me). But a 124 well **** yeah finally a roadster just a roadster to drive and have fun with.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Well, that's interesting, more 124s than NDs in the UK? It's not backed up by my experience on the road where ND's are more common, but they're not exactly common, and last Saturday I saw 2 x 124s and no NDs...

A good way to judge colour distribution in the UK is to look up cars for sale on Autotrader

Fiat 84
White 27, Red 17 (2 Anniversary), Black 16, Blue 12, Grey 8, Silver 2, Bronze 2

Abarth 50 (heritage stripe numbers in brackets - 31)
White 17 (16), Blue 12 (7), Grey 11 (5), Red 6 (3), Black 4

There are still a lot of pre-registered demo cars (mostly white) for sale, and the numbers for sale are increasing steadily (I have been monitoring a long time)

Good to see that the number of Anniversary models was indeed limited to 124, although there still seem to be 4 that are unregistered (assuming all 124 were indeed sold, as claimed in a press release at the time)

·
Premium Member
1,210 Posts
Would not surprise me. Miata is an awesome car but Men of certain discriminating taste and biases simply could not buy one (that would be me).
You mean guys who are insecure enough about their masculinity to be concerned about such things?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Actually @RBH58 the RF was my first choice but the Abarth simply won me and more importantly my wife over. I expected more from a "Super Moderator" than to throw out a jibe like that.

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
You mean guys who are insecure enough about their masculinity to be concerned about such things?
Bam! Combo shot!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts