Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone shed some light on a UK spec Aftermarket wheel swap.
If I put Oz wheels on my car will I need the TPMS sensors? Or is it just worked out on wheel diameter with no hardware?
I know the UK is different when it comes to TPMS than the US in some makes and models.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
After some research, it looks like I will need TPMS valves. It looks a bit of hit and miss if they fit or not on the aftermarket wheels. I know if you spend £200 you can find ones that will fit (Schrader).
I am looking at some from Germany that are £74 for a set. They come preprogrammed. 433 Mhz for Europe 315 Mhz for the rest of the world apparently.
Hopefully, these cheaper ones will fit and work but I have my doubts.
This may come in handy to anyone else going down this route TPMS | tire pressure monitoring systems - OZ Racing

·
Premium Member
2,515 Posts
After some research, it looks like I will need TPMS valves. It looks a bit of hit and miss if they fit or not on the aftermarket wheels. I know if you spend £200 you can find ones that will fit (Schrader).
I am looking at some from Germany that are £74 for a set. They come preprogrammed. 433 Mhz for Europe 315 Mhz for the rest of the world apparently.
Hopefully, these cheaper ones will fit and work but I have my doubts.
This may come in handy to anyone else going down this route TPMS | tire pressure monitoring systems - OZ Racing
Yes, the Abarth has direct TPMS.... in other words, sensors installed inside the wheels. All other variants use indirect TPMS which does some sort of magical calculation based on wheel rotation speed and distance variations, and does so without any actual sensor in the wheel itself. If you have an Abarth, you need a set of sensors.... and you could likely transfer your existing sensors from your factory wheels.

·
Premium Member
2018 124 Spider Abarth Custom
2,202 Posts
433/315Mhz are the 2 main frequencies used by almost every car maker so there are some dual freq "universal" TPMS stems advertised for sale, its not really region specific other than maybe manufacturer location. I bought a set from CarID and they never worked, no tire shop could read them with their scanners to check the programming. Bought another set that was strictly 315Mhz from Amazon a year later and they worked from the moment I pulled onto the road from Big O's parking lot.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all the pre programmed ones you can buy in the UK are 433 MHz. This would tally with Europe being 433 .

·
Registered
120 Posts
Can anyone shed some light on a UK spec Aftermarket wheel swap.
If I put Oz wheels on my car will I need the TPMS sensors? Or is it just worked out on wheel diameter with no hardware?
I know the UK is different when it comes to TPMS than the US in some makes and models.
When I had my OZ wheels fitted they re-used the original ones

·
Registered
113 Posts
Resurrecting this. Anyone in the UK bought replacement TPMS sensors and can offer a recommendation?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts