Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
2018 White Lusso Plus Auto , Tan Leather
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at an Ulter back box for £306 Inc pp. UK supplier.
Anybody fitted one?
Does it sound as good as the YouTube clips?
I am in the UK and don't really want to pay import duties, that's why I am looking at this.
Thanks

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Hi Mike....I've not heard of the Ulter before so googles reviews.....Guy on the A5OC site asking with a few reviews.....Member x3me saying looks okay, sounds cheap. There is a video there and it sounds "RASPY" to me, it's made in Poland and is cheap, which most likely means....it is thrown together, cheap metal, poor design and it will not last....possibly. ebay-UK always have some second hand exhausts on sale, with proven quality and if you just need an exhaust....I have my original 124 Classica exhaust (1500 miles only done and boxed) up in the loft (clean which you are welcome to. I know you do not like import duties...Nobody does, however....I bought my "Good-Win" Roadster Dual Tip through RacingBeatsEurope (sold importer so no choice) and though it cost an extra £120 ish over the original price...it is well designed, made, sounds "Beautiful" WITHOUT being too loud, and...will probably easily outlast ME ! Cheers
ron

·
Registered
526 Posts
Looking at an Ulter back box for £306 Inc pp. UK supplier.
Anybody fitted one?
Does it sound as good as the YouTube clips?
I am in the UK and don't really want to pay import duties, that's why I am looking at this.
Thanks
I have the Ulter Sport Exhaust on my 2020 Abarth 124 Spider and can absolutely assure you that it sounds every bit as good, or better than, as indicated on the Youtube clip. I have an iPhone video that I tried to download but apparently is too long for this site to accept. I will try to get a shorter one made and post later on.
As to critical reviews by those who have never heard of this company before ..........just because I don't own or have never heard of Acme wallpaper strippers does not mean Acme wallpaper strippers are not good wallpaper strippers.
When looking over all available info, this is not a new company, first established in 1986. This is most assuredly not a second hand nor a second rate product! Not quite sure why someone would indicate simply because a product is made in Poland it must be of poor design and cheaply made. It is a well built, solidly built unit that fits and performs as expected. And as a plus, I know of no other axle back exhaust offering 90mm SS quad outlets.
Can you spend double or triple on some other brand or brands of axle back exhaust? Yes you can! But why should you? Again, this is your car, buy and install what you want, what rings your bell, what makes you happy. Do your research, compare, check all available information (there's a ton of it out there).
If in the end you decide to go this route I don't think you would be unhappy, I know I'm not.

NOTE: More than likely to achieve the same results as indicated, because this system is designed for an Abarth, you would probably have to install a new mid-pipe or have your resonator removed. Also, not certain as to weather or not you would encounter any clearance issues with the outlets due to their size. Overall spread across the double outlet on either side is 7 3/8".

Ulter website (translated):
[/URL]

From Ulter's UK website:

The YouTube video for Ulter Sport Exhaust for the Abarth 124 Spider:

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
I have the Ulter Sport Exhaust on my 2020 Abarth 124 Spider and can absolutely assure you that it sounds every bit as good, or better than, as indicated on the Youtube clip. I have an iPhone video that I tried to download but apparently is too long for this site to accept. I will try to get a shorter one made and post later on.
As to critical reviews by those who have never heard of this company before ..........just because I don't own or have never heard of Acme wallpaper strippers does not mean Acme wallpaper strippers are not good wallpaper strippers.
When looking over all available info, this is not a new company, first established in 1986. This is most assuredly not a second hand nor a second rate product! Not quite sure why someone would indicate simply because a product is made in Poland it must be of poor design and cheaply made. It is a well built, solidly built unit that fits and performs as expected. And as a plus, I know of no other axle back exhaust offering 90mm SS quad outlets.
Can you spend double or triple on some other brand or brands of axle back exhaust? Yes you can! But why should you? Again, this is your car, buy and install what you want, what rings your bell, what makes you happy. Do your research, compare, check all available information (there's a ton of it out there).
If in the end you decide to go this route I don't think you would be unhappy, I know I'm not.

Ulter website (translated):
[/URL]

From Ulter's UK website:

The YouTube video for Ulter Sport Exhaust for the Abarth 124 Spider:
Do you have to keep being a constant Pain in the rear ! I am not having a go at you, didn't know or care which exhaust system you have, back off Brother.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody
I didn't think asking a relatively simple question would create such polarized opinions.
I have just purchased a 2018 Lusso Auto with standard OEM single tip exhausts.
I have not investigated whether dual tips will fit, ie abarth pipes (I quite like single tip looks anyway ).
I just wanted a relatively cheap way to make the car sound like it should but as Brexit pointed out that would usually involve buying from abroad.
I did look at Remus but they are more expensive again plus import duty.
Thanks to all, I shall continue my research.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I have a Lusso. You have a Lusso. We have a mid-pipe muffler/resonator/silencer on our Lussos. I tried an alternative back-box silencer. In my opinion it was a waste of time and money. In order to get any meaningful improvement in sound, the Lusso requires a back-box delete i.e. no rear silencer. I did. Mine sounds great. A different approach is required for the Abarth as the Abarth does not have a mid-pipe muffler/resonator/silencer.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Arthur
This is why I specified Lusso as I thought Abarth,s may have different systems.
I, ll keep an eye out for a back box delete.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Thanks everybody
I didn't think asking a relatively simple question would create such polarized opinions.
I have just purchased a 2018 Lusso Auto with standard OEM single tip exhausts.
I have not investigated whether dual tips will fit, ie abarth pipes (I quite like single tip looks anyway ).
I just wanted a relatively cheap way to make the car sound like it should but as Brexit pointed out that would usually involve buying from abroad.
I did look at Remus but they are more expensive again plus import duty.
Thanks to all, I shall continue my research.
Yes, Quads slip straight in to position also, I did see (on here) a sound comparison sample video of all the "Quality" exhausts some time back and they do come up on ebay now and then...best bet is look for a comparison video, google reviews of the ones you fancy then just keep an eye out HERE in sales ads and the motoring mags / ebay..The Mazda MX5 crowd are supplied by Racing BeatsEurope so maybe somebody there will have something that appeals (and fits).
Good Luck in your search. The majority of members here do try to assist and offer advice, but there is always one....
Cheers
ron

Reactions: Arthur

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Quad tips can fit. Here’s my Lusso with System One.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
4,228 Posts

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,587 Posts
Here's my Lusso, back-box delete....
That's probably the best modded exhaust I've heard yet! Authoritative performance growl vs. puttering tractor or raspy industrial engine. How did you achieve it? What does it look like underneath? Any issues with "droning" at highway speeds?

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
That's probably the best modded exhaust I've heard yet! Authoritative performance growl vs. puttering tractor or raspy industrial engine. How did you achieve it? What does it look like underneath? Any issues with "droning" at highway speeds?
It's a custom built unit fabricated by a local "Powerflow Exhaust" franchisee. I simply specified muffler delete, highest quality materials avaiable to be used along with single mid bore size chrome tips to be welded on. The guy took approx 2 hours to complete the job (while I waited in the event of any questions/issues). Cost ~ £160. Zero drone due to already having CLD tiles lining the trunk.

·
Registered
2018 124 Spider Lusso Red Top Edition, Automatic, Fashion Gray, Ivory Interior, Bordeaux Top
1,587 Posts
They a great job, @Arthur. Outstanding result!

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
It's a custom built unit fabricated by a local "Powerflow Exhaust" franchisee. I simply specified muffler delete, highest quality materials avaiable to be used along with single mid bore size chrome tips to be welded on. The guy took approx 2 hours to complete the job (while I waited in the event of any questions/issues). Cost ~ £160. Zero drone due to already having CLD tiles lining the trunk.
I think you should keep your local man quiet...get him to knock out to pattern 6 exhausts....put them on ebay UK with a video (youtube) and collect the cash.....then, 12, then International and then ......More Cats as feeding and Vets bills will be easy. The exhaust manufactures will buy you out for Millions and you can write the book, including sketches, Cheers
ron

Reactions: Magoffin and Arthur

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
Sounds fairly similar to the unresonated Autoricambi exhaust in my Lusso.
I guess that any straight through open y-pipe exhaust system back-box delete (of similar quality materials, inernal/external diameter, exhaust tips and hangers that attaches to the rear mid-pipe flange ).... will sound fairly similar. So I asked myself... "why pay ~ £400 + import duties + postage + wait x number of weeks back-order/delivery (with zero chance of returns if any issues) for a "branded" Item ?... if I can get a local skilled fabricator to make me the same for < 1/4 of the price. Fitted in 2 hours. No postage. And future support/warranty if needed. That's what I call a "No-brainer" !!!

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Seems like the Lusso mid-pipe resonator (or other mid-pipe resonator) is key to getting satisfactory results from the back-box delete.

Reactions: Arthur and mtnghost
1 - 20 of 38 Posts