Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,436 Posts
I will let you hear my REMUS on the Abarth, while in the other video it was a Lusso or Classica and sound is not the same. Maybe I should do another video, cause the exhaust sounds much better.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
I will let you hear my REMUS on the Abarth, while in the other video it was a Lusso or Classica and sound is not the same. Maybe I should do another video, cause the exhaust sounds much better.
Sounds ..."Clean" , as in Willing and Eager to get the "Get Go" from Frank to start "Growling" in earnest .....Cheers
ron

Reactions: frankmar

·
Registered
2017 124 Classica
347 Posts
I have a Lusso. You have a Lusso. We have a mid-pipe muffler/resonator/silencer on our Lussos. I tried an alternative back-box silencer. In my opinion it was a waste of time and money. In order to get any meaningful improvement in sound, the Lusso requires a back-box delete i.e. no rear silencer. I did. Mine sounds great. A different approach is required for the Abarth as the Abarth does not have a mid-pipe muffler/resonator/silencer.
Here's my Lusso, back-box delete....

View attachment 85702

Seems like the Lusso mid-pipe resonator (or other mid-pipe resonator) is key to getting satisfactory results from the back-box delete.
Have to say, that video above sounds much less muffled than my Classica. Don't know if there's a difference in the resonators used across the pond, or just a difference in how your microphone is enhancing the sound?

My Classica had an AutoRicambi "Resonated" axleback installed by the previous owner. IMHO way too quiet. A few bass tones got through, but very low in volume. Too much with the center resonator in place. I'm supposing the previous owner was very paranoid about the slightest bit of sound getting out of the car when he replaced the stock muffler? Overkill IMHO as above.

So, with all that, I went the "inexpensive" route and got the AFE single exit straight pipe axle back just to see what removing the resonators at the back would do. The tone changed slightly, less "bassy" but really it's still overmuffled for the sound this engine can make. It sounds NOTHING like the video above. Overall I am very disappointed with how heavily muffled it still is with just the center resonator.

Honestly? If it sounded like that video above I'd be happy - but it doesn't. Still sounds like a factory "slightly sporty" exhaust rather than something aggressive.

At this point I'm trying to figure out if it would sound better if I put the AR Resonated back and chopped out the center resonator instead. At least if that doesn't work I could put the straight pipe and just have traditional "abarth" sound.

·
Registered
4,235 Posts
Seems like the Lusso mid-pipe resonator (or other mid-pipe resonator) is key to getting satisfactory results from the back-box delete.
That depends on what you want it to sound like. It's entirely subjective.

Reactions: Brexit !

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Have to say, that video above sounds much less muffled than my Classica. Don't know if there's a difference in the resonators used across the pond, or just a difference in how your microphone is enhancing the sound?

My Classica had an AutoRicambi "Resonated" axleback installed by the previous owner. IMHO way too quiet. A few bass tones got through, but very low in volume. Too much with the center resonator in place. I'm supposing the previous owner was very paranoid about the slightest bit of sound getting out of the car when he replaced the stock muffler? Overkill IMHO as above.

So, with all that, I went the "inexpensive" route and got the AFE single exit straight pipe axle back just to see what removing the resonators at the back would do. The tone changed slightly, less "bassy" but really it's still overmuffled for the sound this engine can make. It sounds NOTHING like the video above. Overall I am very disappointed with how heavily muffled it still is with just the center resonator.

Honestly? If it sounded like that video above I'd be happy - but it doesn't. Still sounds like a factory "slightly sporty" exhaust rather than something aggressive.

At this point I'm trying to figure out if it would sound better if I put the AR Resonated back and chopped out the center resonator instead. At least if that doesn't work I could put the straight pipe and just have traditional "abarth" sound.
Not sure why your straight pipe doesn't sound anything like mine. Possibly pipe diameter ? Mine is proper "throaty".... but only once the engine is hot !!!. Yes, some varation due to phone recordings etc. Mine even pops and bangs if I quick shift !!!

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Not sure why your straight pipe doesn't sound anything like mine. Possibly pipe diameter ? Mine is proper "throaty".... but only once the engine is hot !!!. Yes, some varation due to phone recordings etc. Mine even pops and bangs if I quick shift !!!
Mine just pops on occasion...did you have to pay extra for the Bangs then Arthur lad ?;)

·
Registered
3,162 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Looking at an Ulter back box for £306 Inc pp. UK supplier.
Anybody fitted one?
Does it sound as good as the YouTube clips?
I am in the UK and don't really want to pay import duties, that's why I am looking at this.
Thanks
Hi Mike, I ordered a System One from Goodwin Racing last week. It’ll be here in 3 to 4 weeks. I’ll be taking off a Record Monza. I had planned on cleaning and storing it, but if you are interested please message me, I am sure we could sort something . My car is an 18 MY, with 10k on the clock. I have not examined my exhaust properly, but it works fine, though reasonably regular lubrication of the ‘valve’ is needed to keep it operable.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Thanks for the offer but I think I will look at custom built back box replacement prices first.
Mike G, did you look into this any further? I am looking to replace my Record Monza with a siezed shut valve for a custom made Powerflow system. Been quoted £500 + VAT for a new mide pipe and rear back box with two silencers and staggered quad tips. If it's to loud then I can add a small silencer in the mid pipe.

Derek

·
Registered
532 Posts
In spite of what some who've never actually had any experience other than possible hearsay with an Ulter exhaust may think they are indeed a solid, quality exhaust. This is part of what I posted on another thread on this forum, Got one, drove home from Utah to Texas.
I went with the Ulter exhaust for several reasons. a) Exhaust note/sound: since 124 Spiders are few and far between, like trying to find hen's teeth in my area, there was no way to actually get a hands-on/visual on any aftermarket setups and I was was pretty much left with online reviews and YouTube videos. The Ulter had, in my opinion the best combination of notes/sound I was looking for. b) Pricing: Some of the systems available out there are priced like these guys believe they just did mankind the biggest favor ever and invented or reinvented the wheel. REALLY? 4 to 5 feet of SS, 6' max, a flange and a welder and they want 1K+. REALLY? c) Call me old school and I know there are those who will argue or disagree and the subject is up for discussion but I still am of a mind that to make power an internal combustion engine requires a certain level of back pressure. In many cases more than just a resonator. The 1.4L MultiAir Turbo that is in our cars was designed, engineered,tested and built with a muffler. Just one of those many reasons for that was back pressure. All of a sudden throwing a straight thru system on this car just does not seem right. Especially when one considers that those who designed and engineered this beast have been at it a whole lot longer than you or me and have far more resources to throw at such projects/research than any or all after market companies. So, I went with Ulter because it indeed has a "box". Less restrictive than the stock system but still designed, builtin restriction thus creating the desired back pressure. Do I put a lot of faith in all the dyno graphs everyone publishes - no. But for comparisons sake they and the claims made are interesting. d) Outlets, the Ulter has as large or the largest SS quad outlets on the market. The look, the appearance is outstanding. The only negative with the Ulter is you cannot purchase it domestically. I bought from an ebay vendor and waited 6+ weeks while the exhaust was shipped from Poland. It was shipped on time, no issues. There are some on this forum that have claimed/said that Ulter is not worth the dollars spent on it. Hogwash! That it is less than desireable because it is made in Poland. Again, Hogwash! NEWS FLASH: It is a very high quality system worth every penny+, and probably a lot more when compared to the domestic market, then I paid for it. The plug and play fit was spot on and the exhaust note/sound is exactly as desired. A deep throaty rumble, much deeper than stock. Just enough increase in authoritative sound level without being "wake the neighbors loud, just enough so folks notice. RMs in my opinion are overpriced and no way would I have a mechanical valve that is subject to failure on my exhaust system.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Thanks everybody
I didn't think asking a relatively simple question would create such polarized opinions.
I have just purchased a 2018 Lusso Auto with standard OEM single tip exhausts.
I have not investigated whether dual tips will fit, ie abarth pipes (I quite like single tip looks anyway ).
I just wanted a relatively cheap way to make the car sound like it should but as Brexit pointed out that would usually involve buying from abroad.
I did look at Remus but they are more expensive again plus import duty.
Thanks to all, I shall continue my research.
Hi Mike, I recently fitted a System One from GWR to my Abarth. I kept the Record Monza I took off, it is in excellent condition and only has 10k miles (my car is an always garaged 2018). It is a full system except Cat, so crosspipe, centre section and back box. The valve works fine and it sound awesome. I had thought about keeping it, but if it’s of any use to you DM me. Don’t worry about the crosswords, it happens occasionally on here.

·
Registered
4 Posts
In spite of what some who've never actually had any experience other than possible hearsay with an Ulter exhaust may think they are indeed a solid, quality exhaust. This is part of what I posted on another thread on this forum, Got one, drove home from Utah to Texas.
I went with the Ulter exhaust for several reasons. a) Exhaust note/sound: since 124 Spiders are few and far between, like trying to find hen's teeth in my area, there was no way to actually get a hands-on/visual on any aftermarket setups and I was was pretty much left with online reviews and YouTube videos. The Ulter had, in my opinion the best combination of notes/sound I was looking for. b) Pricing: Some of the systems available out there are priced like these guys believe they just did mankind the biggest favor ever and invented or reinvented the wheel. REALLY? 4 to 5 feet of SS, 6' max, a flange and a welder and they want 1K+. REALLY? c) Call me old school and I know there are those who will argue or disagree and the subject is up for discussion but I still am of a mind that to make power an internal combustion engine requires a certain level of back pressure. In many cases more than just a resonator. The 1.4L MultiAir Turbo that is in our cars was designed, engineered,tested and built with a muffler. Just one of those many reasons for that was back pressure. All of a sudden throwing a straight thru system on this car just does not seem right. Especially when one considers that those who designed and engineered this beast have been at it a whole lot longer than you or me and have far more resources to throw at such projects/research than any or all after market companies. So, I went with Ulter because it indeed has a "box". Less restrictive than the stock system but still designed, builtin restriction thus creating the desired back pressure. Do I put a lot of faith in all the dyno graphs everyone publishes - no. But for comparisons sake they and the claims made are interesting. d) Outlets, the Ulter has as large or the largest SS quad outlets on the market. The look, the appearance is outstanding. The only negative with the Ulter is you cannot purchase it domestically. I bought from an ebay vendor and waited 6+ weeks while the exhaust was shipped from Poland. It was shipped on time, no issues. There are some on this forum that have claimed/said that Ulter is not worth the dollars spent on it. Hogwash! That it is less than desireable because it is made in Poland. Again, Hogwash! NEWS FLASH: It is a very high quality system worth every penny+, and probably a lot more when compared to the domestic market, then I paid for it. The plug and play fit was spot on and the exhaust note/sound is exactly as desired. A deep throaty rumble, much deeper than stock. Just enough increase in authoritative sound level without being "wake the neighbors loud, just enough so folks notice. RMs in my opinion are overpriced and no way would I have a mechanical valve that is subject to failure on my exhaust system.
Did you put the Ulter backbox on a Fiat 124 with a midpipe silence or the Abarth without the midpipe silencer.?

·
Registered
324 Posts
Hi Mike, I recently fitted a System One from GWR to my Abarth. I kept the Record Monza I took off, it is in excellent condition and only has 10k miles (my car is an always garaged 2018). It is a full system except Cat, so crosspipe, centre section and back box. The valve works fine and it sound awesome. I had thought about keeping it, but if it’s of any use to you DM me. Don’t worry about the crosswords, it happens occasionally on here.
Mike, apologies, I just noticed this is an older thread and you had already turned down an offer on my Monza, please ignore.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts