Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone post some pics or show me where to go to see some underbody pics of the 124 exhaust system??

Thanks. ;)

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
How hard was it to do the full exhaust?. I have read that there's lots of issues with broken studs and dash lights. I have just the GW exhaust and love that.

·
Registered
64 Posts
How hard was it to do the full exhaust?. I have read that there's lots of issues with broken studs and dash lights. I have just the GW exhaust and love that.
Well, I didn't do it myself. But a good friend did. He soaked the cat studs in penetrating oil overnight and said the nuts came off very easily. He said he didn't even think it really needed the oil since all the parts were so new. In my (and his opinion), the issues people had were just people getting in a hurry and being impatient. The guy who did this for me is a serious "car guy" with a lift in his garage and welded "cage" miata he does hill climbs in. He's also the best and most patient mechanic I know... But again, he said the nuts came off the cat no sweat.

We did question the torque for re-installing them. According to the service manual, it should be 33 ft/lbs. He said he thought that was a lot. We actually finished the install before I had that number and we torqued them to 18 ft/lbs. I told him about the 33 spec and his quote was: "bring it over - I'll watch while you torque it to 33." Which is to say I'm leaving it how it is and if it leaks I'll try something else. The last thing I want to do is break one of those studs...

And no dash lights so far (fingers crossed) in about 500 miles..

·
Registered
574 Posts
Well, I didn't do it myself. But a good friend did. He soaked the cat studs in penetrating oil overnight and said the nuts came off very easily. He said he didn't even think it really needed the oil since all the parts were so new. In my (and his opinion), the issues people had were just people getting in a hurry and being impatient. The guy who did this for me is a serious "car guy" with a lift in his garage and welded "cage" miata he does hill climbs in. He's also the best and most patient mechanic I know... But again, he said the nuts came off the cat no sweat.

We did question the torque for re-installing them. According to the service manual, it should be 33 ft/lbs. He said he thought that was a lot. We actually finished the install before I had that number and we torqued them to 18 ft/lbs. I told him about the 33 spec and his quote was: "bring it over - I'll watch while you torque it to 33." Which is to say I'm leaving it how it is and if it leaks I'll try something else. The last thing I want to do is break one of those studs...

And no dash lights so far (fingers crossed) in about 500 miles..
Now that is a very smart man haha.

Those studs are always extremely sensitive though. Anything slightly over and you'll snap the stud, anything less and it'll back itself off and go flying and split open.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Does the Lusso have an inline

Now that is a very smart man haha.

Those studs are always extremely sensitive though. Anything slightly over and you'll snap the stud, anything less and it'll back itself off and go flying and split open.
Resonator.? So if I install the AutoRicambia exhaust with the muffler delete and the two resonators, the effective is I would have THREE resonators, no muffler, and somewhat louder but not offensive fart can sound,,, Right or Wrong ??
Thanks for all replies

:confused::confused:

·
Registered
559 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts