Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey Guys... sitting next to my front tire this morning at a car show and saw that my two front tires were wearing unevenly
The outside tread is way down, but all other treads were deep and ok. Car has only 1,400 miles on it. So are these OEM tires just some cheap ass tires? I do tend to Conner a little fast, mainly because Grandpa is too lazy to down shift. I usually rotate tires at each oil change, approximately 5,000 miles, but at this wear rate, these tires won't get me there.
Are you guys noticing any undo wear on your tires?
Thanks for all replies.
Grandpa Bill
Austin.:(:confused:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I know you said 'only the front' but are you sure you are looking at the whole tread? The outside portion of the tires seems to have a shallower tread than the center and inner portion of the tire. I have the Potenza RE050A.

·
Registered
727 Posts
I had the Potenza REO50A on my last sports car and it was a long lasting tire. If the outside tread is beyond the normal depth of what SJWhiteley suggests in the above post, have your alignment checked. Sometimes the factory alignment is all over the map.

·
Registered
958 Posts
The front tires on my Lusso showed some extra wear on the outside edge, more than on the inside or the rear. I would not call it unusual because I tend to corner a bit faster with this car than with other cars I have owned recently. I recommend rotating them when the "uneven" wear is noticeable. These are not the RE050A that are on the Abarth. These are Potenza S001. I had Pole Position tires on my Mazda RX8 and had to replace them after 18,000 miles. While my S001 tires still have 76% tread on them after 10,000 miles, I switched out to Michelin Pilot Super Sports. Bridgestone tires are not in my top 3 favorite tire brands.

·
Super Moderator
1,210 Posts
I'd be inclined to get the alignment checked. There can be a lot of variability even within "acceptable factory ranges". Most MX5 owners seem to adjust for slightly more negative camber than stock too (which may help). I'm running 1.7 degrees negative camber and 8 degrees of caster on the RF. The extra caster does add a tiny bit more self-centering to the steering...which I think the MX5 needs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts