Fiat 124 Spider Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
2020 Abarth 124 Brillante White Velleno package with Monza exhaust.
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After scrolling through all the posts here I was alerted to a possible contact with the front of the hood to the backs of the rollover hoop covers. Now my previous Abarth never had this issue, but upon curious inspection I found this one has the contact and it is severe! I went over to @ameridan s blog to find a very simple and effective solution. Followed the link to an email and no response! Darn now back to square one. Contacted ameridan, and a week later the wedges are here and I would like to just leave a hopefully quick and informative review of them. So here it is Super excited, I came home to these wedges that will keep my pricy top in tip top condition for years to come. Recently I noticed the top rubbing on the forward most edge of the passenger rear hoop cover. Found this blog and contacted ameridan about purchasing them, as I could not get in contact through the posted links. He was kind enough to send me a pair. Here are my thoughts. So not sure if I will be able to attach photos but I took some before and after to show how much of an improvement these made. In the before pictures you can clearly see the lack of gap and the resulting scratches from the rubbing. After there is a healthy gap keeping the top and the covers safe. The wedges fit absolutely perfect, are inexpensive and a must for any ND Miata or 124 spider. I would like to extend a huge thank you to ameridan, you have saved me thousands in damage I never would have noticed if it wasn’t for your thread on the 124 forum and this part.
Some pics as a reward for reading the whole thing.
Vehicle Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Grey
Azure Automotive tire Hood Grey Carbon
Vehicle Automotive design Tints and shades Personal luxury car Auto part
Hood Automotive tire Automotive design Vehicle Bumper
Hood Automotive design Grey Automotive exterior Carbon

Textile Grey Automotive tire Tints and shades Electric blue

· Super Moderator
1,558 Posts
What a great post!
Did Amerdan have any more to say about the supply of these? Do they appear to be something someone could make on their own? There is a great potential here, as you mentioned.
Best regards
Pete

· Registered
1,478 Posts
They would be simple enough to 3D print, but I think the inventor should get our business ;)

· Registered
611 Posts
Dan,
I definitely need those. If you get updated contact info please post, it would be much appreciated.

· Registered
5 Posts
Well I had the same problem with my previous mazda mx-5 nd. Had to replace the roof since old one was torn. I applied Mazda tsb for this kind of problem and this significantly increased the gap between the hoop and the roof edge. So upon acquiring spider I applied the same procedure. Took me around 1,5 hour but result is worth the effort. You are just adding three washers per each side. Need to take apart half of the interior but this car is so easy for DIY.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They answered my email addressed to [email protected] , so perhaps mtnghost had simply mistyped it without the dot. I just updated the article today with the current prices, and the addition of grille emblems.
Sorry @ameridan I’m an idiot. I copy pasted the address off of your site and for whatever reason it didn’t come out right. I just checked after reading your response to the email working, and realized I could just click the link and it would automatically pull up my email and it works that way. I thank you for your help and the parts.

· Registered
1,945 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just wanted to add you could get more clearance from the wedges with double sided tape, but I didn’t have any on hand and wanted to get the pictures and review up asap. I ended up using loktite spray adhesive worked great! Just spray, stick and put the hood in the open position to hold it until it dries. I did notice a bit of noise from rubbing so I will add some felt tape when I go to work tomorrow. Over all great simple product that works, just follow the directions and test fit and all before adhering them. Personal note have handy some double sided tape or other adhesive, and some felt tape to add to the contact side that contacts the hood. Took it on a five hour total canyon run and it was perfect.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts